The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reaction times
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Reaction times Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Very true Z> It just strains my disbelief to think you can maneuver up to another ship, hook up to it, and then tow it X distance in less than a minute of time (remember each round is 5 seconds)..

I think that was why 2R&E used rounds and scenes, so that you didn't have to count the seconds to see how long it took to get your ship into the debris field. Just use one long scene to cover moving the ship, and the GM can make a random encounter roll to see if another ship comes out of hyperspace during the process.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
notmalcolypse
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best answer to this could be lifted from J. Michael Straczynski's response to a Babylon 5 fan asking him how fast a starfury could fly.

His response was that it moved "at the speed of plot," indicating that it would get there when it made for the best story.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't take any hooking up. Just tractor beam and moving. Didn't engage the boarding action until later as previously said.

That you had a T.beam would have been helpful from the get go.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notmalcolypse wrote:
I think the best answer to this could be lifted from J. Michael Straczynski's response to a Babylon 5 fan asking him how fast a starfury could fly.

His response was that it moved "at the speed of plot," indicating that it would get there when it made for the best story.

That is my kind of answer. Simple and effective.

PC: when do we get there?
GM: whey I say you do.

Actually.... sounds a lot like me and the kids in the car..... Confused
Ramson
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Didn't take any hooking up. Just tractor beam and moving. Didn't engage the boarding action until later as previously said.

That you had a T.beam would have been helpful from the get go.

Well, the range of the post went beyond my original question. It was not a debate on how long specific actions would take. I was just interested in trying to figure out how long before a distress signal could be answered.

The replies gave me the information I needed to look into to try and determine that very thing.

As far as how long it took to tow the cargo ship I guess my use of the term "tow" might have been misleading. I guess I should have used "tractor-ed"?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true..

In the past, i have seen it (not sure if actual or home made rules) where 'maneuvering to attach tow cable - 2 rounds. Attaching cable - 4 rounds Plus time it takes to get someone eva to hook it up. Towing speed of ship is halved. So all that can add up depending on how far you need to go to tow a captured ship, which can affect how long you have before a response gets there.
Ramson
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That is true..

In the past, i have seen it (not sure if actual or home made rules) where 'maneuvering to attach tow cable - 2 rounds. Attaching cable - 4 rounds Plus time it takes to get someone eva to hook it up. Towing speed of ship is halved. So all that can add up depending on how far you need to go to tow a captured ship, which can affect how long you have before a response gets there.

to prove my true noobism to this game, It NEVER occurred to me to attach a line and actually tow a ship. I either sent over a pilot after taking it or if it was inoperable, I simply destroyed it for destruction value.

It brings up many possibilities, speed is halved? sounds reasonable.
Is it at all possible to tow in hyperspace?
Can a grapple system be designed that shoots the hook through the hull for "quick' attachment? (Why? one never knows)

I don't really have access to the books as I am hesitant to borrow irreplaceable books from the GM so I primarily learn from the "experienced" players in the group.

Forgive my ramblings, I have slogged through snow all day delivering mail and my brain is mush. But if you can tow in hyperspace then I have a HUGE piece of information I did not have before.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramson wrote:
to prove my true noobism to this game, It NEVER occurred to me to attach a line and actually tow a ship. I either sent over a pilot after taking it or if it was inoperable, I simply destroyed it for destruction value.

Well, there isn't really a mechanic for it, and tractor beams tend to work just as well, if not better. To simplify things, I've instituted a rule where every ship as a localized Tractor Field. It can only be used on objects that are in the same unit as the ship, and has a Strength equal to the ship's Hull rating. Its primary intended use is for docking maneuvers, but it can be used for short range towing as well.

Quote:
Can a grapple system be designed that shoots the hook through the hull for "quick' attachment? (Why? one never knows)

I think the speed limitations should be based on the size of the target compared to your ship. A Capital Ship tractoring a Starfighter-scale target would suffer little or no speed loss, but might be limited to High speed when towing a smaller Cap ship, Cruising speed when towing a ship of similar size, and Cautious when towing a larger vessel. Of course, some vessels would be of sufficient size that a towing vessel would be unable to tractor it by itself.

As far as a grappling system, you could probably just go with magnetic or fusion grapplers.

Quote:
Forgive my ramblings, I have slogged through snow all day delivering mail and my brain is mush. But if you can tow in hyperspace then I have a HUGE piece of information I did not have before.

I'm pretty sure a ship is unable to tow another ship in hyperspace without specialized equipment. Most descriptions of hyperdrive involve projection of a hyperspace field around the ship, so for a ship to jump to hyperspace while towing another ship, the towing vessel's hyperspace field would need to be at least doubled in size. I once saw a homebrew stat for a star-tug that included hyperspace field expansion limpets that were placed on the hull of the towed vessel to assist in the expansion of the tug's hyperspace field.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramson wrote:

I don't really have access to the books as I am hesitant to borrow irreplaceable books from the GM so I primarily learn from the "experienced" players in the group.

On the tow cable, this is how i see ships without tractor beams capturing ships. If you look in pirates and privateers, there are many of the pirate ships that don't list a tractor, but standard practice would (imo) be to tow the ship then loot it in safety.
As for hull penetration.. yes have a grapple hook gun, (or mag clamp).
On hyperspace.. Nope. Only a few examples even exist in the books of 1 ship taking another into hyperspace, and all those had additional stuff (hyperspace boosters as CRM said).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: