The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars / Indiana Jones Crossover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Star Wars / Indiana Jones Crossover
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Star Wars / Indiana Jones Crossover Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of direct crossovers, as there are usually too many irresolvable differences. I prefer crossovers where the spirit of one is added to the universe of another.

In one of the adventure journals, there is a story about a pair of smugglers aiding a Jedi Knight and an archaeologist in keeping a crystal Twi'lek skull out of Imperial hands. The skull is an important artifact to a specific Twi'lek tribe that is on the verge of making a treaty with the Alliance, but their culture insists that the treaty cannot be agreed upon without the skull being present. To hamstring this tribe from making any political decisions, the Empire stole this skull years ago, and the Alliance was trying to steal it back.

As I read this story, I couldn't help but feel the same feel that I get when I watch the Indiana Jones movies, and it got me thinking about the similarities:

Nazis = The Empire
Objects with Mystic Powers = Jedi & Sith Artifacts
Swashbuckling Adventures = Swashbuckling Adventures
Harrison Ford = Harrison Ford (Han Solo's long lost twin as a respectable archaeologist?)

OK, maybe I'm pushing it on that last one, but the idea is still there, to have an Alliance Intel division responsible for seeking out and recovering items of supposed mystic powers, either for Alliance use or just to keep them out of the Empire's hands. There characters could comprise a team whose primary duty is to seek out these artifacts and keep them from the Empire, by whatever means necessary. It opens up possibilities for a Brain member of the crew who specializes in archaeology and can help warn of possible traps and dangers, or who might be the only one who can calculate the way out of a puzzle. Plus, there will be no shortage of combat opportunities for the gun bunnies and the pilots. Also, with the mystic nature of the various artifacts being combined with the Force, the team could be in constant conflict with Dark Jedi as their opposite numbers on the Imperial side.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in our ongoing sparks campaign (read several of my threds in gamemaster for afteraction reports etc), we have had several adventure senarios resolve around artifact finding..
The only down side, is like in the 1 i did where there were traps, many didn't like them as they felt that traps were not starwarsy..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know in our ongoing sparks campaign (read several of my threds in gamemaster for afteraction reports etc), we have had several adventure senarios resolve around artifact finding..
The only down side, is like in the 1 i did where there were traps, many didn't like them as they felt that traps were not starwarsy..

Traps not starwarsy? What did they doze through the Ewok net part of RotJ? Wink

If traps work like they do in the Indiana Jones movies - dodge or dodge and running to avoid the blow gun darts, climb/jump to slide under a closing door, running to stay ahead of the big boulder, and maybe archaeology to give a bonus to search or security for noticing or disarming a primitive trap - then I think it has a starwarsy feel.

It just doesn't work well if failure to spot the trap = automatic dead characters. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
It just doesn't work well if failure to spot the trap = automatic dead characters. Wink

That's when you add interesting new facets to the trap, sort of like the garbage compactor room in the Temple of Doom. There were more than a few failed rolls involved in getting stuck in that one before they finally got out.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
That's when you add interesting new facets to the trap, sort of like the garbage compactor room in the Temple of Doom. There were more than a few failed rolls involved in getting stuck in that one before they finally got out.

Yes. The idea is the trap is interesting if the PCs have a chance to spot it, but if (when) they fail, there is one or more ways to stop it or get out of it.

The trap is killer if (a) you have one chance to spot it, but if you fail to spot it you die or (b) no chance to spot it and there are one or less ways to get out alive. Oh yeah, and just like in the movies, you only spring the autokill traps on the NPCs (or the NPCs just have worse skills and no CPs and thus fail their rolls Wink ).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The trap is killer if (a) you have one chance to spot it, but if you fail to spot it you die or (b) no chance to spot it and there are one or less ways to get out alive. Oh yeah, and just like in the movies, you only spring the autokill traps on the NPCs (or the NPCs just have worse skills and no CPs and thus fail their rolls Wink ).

NPC Motto: "It is entirely possible that your entire reason for existence is to serve as an example to others. Or to die in the course of adding atmosphere to the plot."

I know there are a few D&D books that have some great trap ideas, or rules for Dungeoneering that would translate well to traversing labyrinths or traps in search of ancient Sith artifacts.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was basically a Star Wars dungeon crawl, with the goal of beating the Empire to the hidden temple retrieve the mystical Kaiburr crystal.

Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the Adventure Journals also introduce the character:
Corellia Antilles, Archaeologist
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corellia_Antilles

And basically model her after Indiana Jones?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Don't the Adventure Journals also introduce the character:
Corellia Antilles, Archaeologist
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corellia_Antilles

And basically model her after Indiana Jones?

Yeah, I was thinking of that last night, but I couldn't remember her name and was too tired to go looking through all 15 AJ's to find her. The article featured four or five long-lost artifacts, all of which would make interesting goals for an adventure like this.

It wouldn't even necessarily have to entail going into a labyrinth or something similar; it could already be out and in the possession of the Imperials, so the characters would have to steal it back, just like a normal mission, without the traps and the lack of "Star Wars feel". In fact, given how thoroughly greedy the Empire is, that actually seems more likely than going digging and exploring for something they haven't heard of.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our only Indian Jones 'crossover' was when a friend played a halfling Tombrobber in WFRP..he used a whip and a pistol and had some Indiana Jones quotes he had WFRP:ed Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Traps not starwarsy? What did they doze through the Ewok net part of RotJ? Wink

If traps work like they do in the Indiana Jones movies - dodge or dodge and running to avoid the blow gun darts, climb/jump to slide under a closing door, running to stay ahead of the big boulder, and maybe archaeology to give a bonus to search or security for noticing or disarming a primitive trap - then I think it has a starwarsy feel.

Agreed. I felt that they must not have watched much of the OT films, as there are a number of traps.. such as the rope-log trap that caved in the AT-ST's head, the compactor..

As for 'save or die'... most of them are along the lines (well i have made) like 'pungy stick swing arms (dex check to avoid getting hit for 4d+2 dam or so), grav plate repulsor deckplates with corresponding ceiling magnet to suck you in.
The only one close to a 'save or die' was a repulsor field that pushed you at a 30+ speed into a pair of interlinked monofilament razor strips...9d+2 damage not something to laught at.
Admiral Tolval
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Star Wars Tales comic books featured a Star Wars/Indiana Jones crossover in which Han and Chewie crashed on a planet in which Han dies. A hundred or so years later, Indiana Jones is exploring a jungle following reports of some kind of bigfoot. Can't remember the exact details. Jones and Short Round heard Chewie in the distance so they never meet face to face. Remember Tales were alternate universes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: