The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Avatar Crossover? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Avatar Crossover? Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of direct crossovers, as there are often far too many differences between the universes to capture the feel of both at the same time. That doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Has anyone ever done a Star Wars / Avatar Crossover? I just watched the movie again recently, and a few little things jumped out at me. Obviously, the six year one way trip from one star to another is not an obvious option in SW, because of hyperspace, but there are some other things.

-The Avatar Project could be a parallel to Zsinj's Project Chubar, modifying non-human races to make spies. In this case, an Avatar would be grown from non-human DNA spliced with humans and then the humans would be mentally "wired-in" by remote into their alien bodies, which would create a very capable spy.

-I have this visual of an AMP suit with a TIE ball cockpit. Maybe some Seinar creation along the lines of a AT-PT?

These are just a couple thoughts, but I'm curious if anyone has beaten me to it

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Avatar Crossover? Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Has anyone ever done a Star Wars / Avatar Crossover? I just watched the movie again recently, and a few little things jumped out at me. Obviously, the six year one way trip from one star to another is not an obvious option in SW, because of hyperspace, but there are some other things.

-The Avatar Project could be a parallel to Zsinj's Project Chubar, modifying non-human races to make spies. In this case, an Avatar would be grown from non-human DNA spliced with humans and then the humans would be mentally "wired-in" by remote into their alien bodies...

And how does this DNA splicing relate to Water, Earth, Fire, and Air? Wink
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga posted some Star Wars D6 stats for Navi and stuff on another board, so maybe he'll post it here too...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Avatar Crossover? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

-The Avatar Project could be a parallel to Zsinj's Project Chubar, modifying non-human races to make spies. In this case, an Avatar would be grown from non-human DNA spliced with humans and then the humans would be mentally "wired-in" by remote into their alien bodies...

And how does this DNA splicing relate to Water, Earth, Fire, and Air? Wink

Speaketh not to me of that Avatar.

What a dork Laughing

BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im all for ignoring both Avatar versions. not a fan of either
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSDOblivion wrote:

Yeah, the Na'vi and Pandora would be relatively limited in the SWU, unless unobtanium could be written into the SWU with some unique property for repulsorlift tech or something. A tribal technology level indigenous people from a planet with a Type III atmosphere would be rather limited once they got out in the galaxy as a whole. I was looking at it more from the perspective of how tech from the film could be adapted to SWU, like the Avatar program and the AMP suits.

BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
BSDOblivion wrote:

Yeah, the Na'vi and Pandora would be relatively limited in the SWU, unless unobtanium could be written into the SWU with some unique property for repulsorlift tech or something. A tribal technology level indigenous people from a planet with a Type III atmosphere would be rather limited once they got out in the galaxy as a whole. I was looking at it more from the perspective of how tech from the film could be adapted to SWU, like the Avatar program and the AMP suits.

i know it all can be converted and make sense, i just dont like avatar in general and don't want to acknowledge it. Razz (unobtainium, really? couldnt he just pay a SYFY writer 20 bucks for a real name?) dances with smurfs is just a soar spot for me.
the avatar scene would probably be best set for the d6 space instead of the SWU tho due to the mixed tech, useless aliens, and shiny forest that needs sun light. im pretty sure that anything Sith would have burned the planet centuries ago. probably back when it was the Rataka
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see stats wrote out for how they 'bond' with animals and that "Tree of life"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSDOblivion wrote:
i know it all can be converted and make sense, i just dont like avatar in general and don't want to acknowledge it. Razz (unobtainium, really? couldnt he just pay a SYFY writer 20 bucks for a real name?) dances with smurfs is just a soar spot for me.

Well, I guess we won't be seeing much of you on this thread, then, huh? Wink

I'm sure he could have, but with the number of obscure names actually included on the periodic table of the elements, Cameron's options were probably limited to either making something up (which he is allowed to do, since its fiction), or pick something real from the periodic table of the elements and ascribe unrealistic attributes to it and get skewered by the scientific community. It's not like this is the first time a fiction writer has just invented a scientific name (adamantium, anyone?) "Dancing with smurfs" and personal preferences aside, Cameron really did do a spectacular job with the film.

Quote:
the avatar scene would probably be best set for the d6 space instead of the SWU tho due to the mixed tech, useless aliens, and shiny forest that needs sun light. im pretty sure that anything Sith would have burned the planet centuries ago. probably back when it was the Rataka

You're probably right, unless the planet was somehow isolated or unknown. As I said in my original post, I'm less interested in converting all of Pandora into SW D6 rules than I am in some of the technical concepts that might have interesting applications in the SWU.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd love to see stats wrote out for how they 'bond' with animals and that "Tree of life"

If you're willing to take it that far, the interconnectedness of life on Pandora bears a lot of similarities to Zonama Sekot...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way yes. BUT Zonoma sekot was also tech based in part.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
BSDOblivion wrote:

...I'm sure he could have, but with the number of obscure names actually included on the periodic table of the elements, Cameron's options were probably limited to either making something up (which he is allowed to do, since its fiction), or pick something real from the periodic table of the elements and ascribe unrealistic attributes to it and get skewered by the scientific community. It's not like this is the first time a fiction writer has just invented a scientific name (adamantium, anyone?)

Let's not get into a big flame regarding Avatar. Cameron did a great job using the 3D effects in a natural and interesting way in the film and the movie as a whole if visually stunning. The story itself I found predictable, and yes a bit reminiscent of Dances with Wolves, but I'm sure others might disagree. Unobtainium, however, is more what I would expect from a mediocre video game. But really, is it much worse than mitochondria, oops, I mean midichlorians. Wink

Regarding Adamantium - Adamant and Adamantine date back to Greek mythology. I believe Marvel added the Latin suffix to a Greek word to make it sound super science-y rather than mythological.

Regarding a X-over, I think the Tree of Life would be interesting in Star Wars as part of a previously undiscovered planet and species with a different way of accessing the Force, kind of like the Tyia.

The wired in alien bodies seems more suitable for Paranoia than Star Wars to me, but to each his own.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Here is the original write-up... Reply with quote

Bear in mind that I wrote this up ages ago and haven't touched it since. Feel free to use, criticize or ignore at your leisure.

Keith.

Na'vi
The indigenous Na'vi are, on average, three meters tall with smooth cyan-colored skin, large eyes, and sweeping tails. They are the only known extraterrestrial species discovered to have human-like consciousness and intelligence. They have developed a sophisticated culture based on a profound spiritual connection to other life on their moon, each other, and an encompassing "spirit" they call Eywa.

The Na'vi seem to have a different evolutionary ancestor to other creatures that share two pairs of eyes and three pairs of arms-legs-or-wings, but they have a Queue which indicates the ability to make a bond with the environment.

Attribute Dice: 12D
Attribute Minimums / Maximums:
Dex: 3D/5D

Knowledge: 1D/2D

Mechanical: 1D/2D

Perception: 2D+1/4D+1

Strength: 3D+2/5D+2

Technical 1D/2D

Special abilities:
Hierarchy status: Depending on the status of the Na'vi and their place in tribe they may have different bonus, all are accumlative, but as the race tends to be zenophobic in light of their recent run ins with humans why they would wander off planet much less away from their tribe would have to be throughly explored and explained if not role played out.

The warriors gain +2d for every 1d in Survival, sneak, search and beast riding.
The Leaders of the warrior castes gain +2d for every 1d placed in command and bargaining.
The Tribal Shamans gain 1d in control and sense.

Skill Limits: They may not place skill dice in vehicles, starship or repair skills.

Sight and Smell: They get an additional +1D to search rolls involving those senses.

Tail: While not prehensile the tail helps with their ability to balance much like a cats does.

"Queue": Their highly evolved nervous system includes a "Queue" which resembles a long, rather ostentatious hair braid. This seemingly conventional braid actually sheathes a remarkably intricate system of neural tendrils that can be connected to similar structures of other life-forms. This actually allows the Na'vi 1D of Sense and brings them a closer connection to the Force (Eywa is what they call it...)

Size: 2.7-3 meters
Move: 11 / 13
Home world: Pandora
Source: James Cameron's Avatar.

Habitat and Range
Various biomes of Pandora. Population concentrated in rainforest regions. Outlying clans have been detected on each continent and in subarctic, swampland, and mountainous regions.

Some Na'vi clans, including the Omaticaya, live in tremendously large ancient trees they call Kelutral, or "Hometree."

Physiology
Smooth skin is iridescent, cyan color. Long tails. (Note that their tails are not prehensile, despite some guides indicating otherwise.) High cheekbones, feline ears and large yellow eyes. Bioluminescent markings aid in identification and mood display. Average life span is similar to that of a human. Despite skin color, Na'vi have red blood.

Waist is narrow and elongated. The shoulders are very wide, creating a V-shaped upper back. The neck is long and body slender. Musculature sharply defined, giving no sense of emaciation despite thin proportions.

Skeleton is reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fiber. Average male is 3 meters (9.8 feet) tall, females slightly smaller.

Three long fingers plus opposable thumb on hands; four toes on feet. (It should be noted that the Na'vi/human hybrid Avatars have five digits on both hands and feet.)

Highly evolved nervous system includes a "Queue" which resembles a long, rather ostentatious hair braid. This seemingly conventional braid actually sheathes a remarkably intricate system of neural tendrils that can be connected to similar structures of other life-forms. See Queue.

They have roughly four times the strength of the average human.

Reproduction mechanics similar to humans and other Terran mammals, however see Mating.

Diet
The Na'vi are an Omnivorous species. Their society includes hunters and gatherers with incipient agriculture.

Clothing
The Na'vi are weavers whose dress is primarily for comfort and practicality. Though clan leaders such as Mo'at and Eytukan wear ceremonial pieces, because both men and women fight, there is a balance between adornment and armament.

Society
Although their society is essentially Palaeolithic, the Na'vi have developed a complex culture based on a profound spiritual connection among all creatures, and to the deity they call Eywa.

They are expert hunters and gatherers as well as artisans who celebrate the interconnectedness of nature through story and song.

Appearance and Anatomy
On the whole, the Na'vi are quite similar to humans, both in appearance and anatomically. They are, however, much larger and typically stronger than humans. Na'vi are normally about 3 meters in height. This may be in part due to Pandora's lower gravity than Earth, which, after time will cause a person to "get soft" (as Colonel Quaritch put it), and, pound for pound, they are probably weaker than humans.

Their skeletons are reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fiber, making their bones extremely rigid and hard to bend-(but they easily crack under focused pressure).

Their hands are graceful, with three very long fingers, and one opposable thumb. However, it should be noted that human-grown Na'vi (the Avatars) have four main fingers in addition to the opposable thumb just as in the human hand.

The faces have high cheekbones and large yellow eyes, maybe twice the size of an average human's. When open they dominate the face, like those of a cat or lemur. The ears of the Na'vi are long and pointed and are able to swivel around much like that of a dog or a cat. The mouth is also large, but essentially human, with a faint cat-like bifurcation of the upper lip. The nose also faintly resembles that of a cat's, but this is only visible in close-ups. The teeth are white, with pronounced canines, upper and lower. The Na'vi species do obviously eat meat, but they are assumed to be generally omnivorous.

The Na'vi have tails which are long and slightly prehensile, but more like the tail of a panther than a monkey. A complex pattern of iridescent dots and lines, perfectly symmetrical, runs over the body, seemingly following the lines of the nervous or circulatory system. These are bioluminescent chromatophores, and they glow in the dark like fireflies. The Na'vi can communicate with these, and in fact they are constantly shifting and changing color to indicate mood and emotion, without conscious control. Na'vi have hair only on their heads and the very ends of their tails, and what people often mistake for a large braid is an external part of the nervous system.

Queue
Na'vi have a queue, originating at the back of the head and hanging down almost to the waist. This is in fact not hair, but an external bundle of nerve endings that allows them to tap into the collective, planetary psionic emanations of Eywa, enabling them to "commune" with the planet's flora and fauna.

While not adding to intelligence, it enables them to share a deep connection and even communicate telepathically with the tree of souls, and any animals with a similar nerve cluster. The Na'vi call it Tsahaylu, or "the bond". When two Pandoran organisms with nerve clusters similar to this engage in Tsahaylu, they gain the ability to share memories and information, and the Na'vi have a special trait that allows them to use the mind-meld to feel as/what their mount does, and as well enables them to move as one under the control of the Na'vi, be it a Banshee/Ikran or Direhorse/Pal'i. This trait is only negated during mating (see below).

Clothing
Little apparel is worn by the Na'vi. Cloth, most likely woven from native flora of the planet is the basic garment worn by all Na'vi. It is possible that very little clothing is worn by the Na'vi because it is simply what is needed for the Na'vi to work and live taking minimally from the environment. Clothes appear to also show the ranking of one's importance in the hierarchy of a clan, either by the use of The Omaticaya clan leader, Eytukan wearing a garment made of brilliant materials] interesting or precious materials in comparison to a simple clothing piece worn by a normal clan member. Accessories are added to a Na'vi's attire as he or she moves up in the clan hierarchy. For example, Jake Sully, as an apprentice clan member, wore only an undecorated loincloth; as he learned more about the Na'vi culture, however, he wore armbands and necklaces to display his ranking.

Culture
The Na'vi are humanoid creatures that live in various territorial clans across Pandora. Their culture is non-technological, and a premium is placed upon young men either growing up to be fearsome warriors, or dying in the effort. Like all creatures on Pandora, their fate is controlled by the sentient intelligence they worship as "Eywa". They have no choice but to live in harmony and natural equilibrium with their surroundings. If they become too numerous, Eywa will devise a way to limit their numbers before they cause an ecological imbalance. Understandably, the Na'vi have therefore over millenia developed a healthy respect for their surrounding environment. In return, the environment has provided them with sufficient food and shelter, creatures to ride for ground and air transportation, and an ambient, comfortable temperature throughout the atmosphere of Pandora, plus a curious absence of pesky insects and harmful microorganisms. Not surprisingly, when provided for so thoroughly by Eywa, they have failed to develop tools and weapons for purposes beyond primitive warfare with the surrounding clans and hunting. Culturally, they are comparable to Ancient African tribes, Native Americans, Polynesians,and Australia's Indigenous people with trace similaritys to the Norse people of northern europe. Lacking in any tradition of science, they view Eywa as an all-knowing, all-powerful mother goddess, and have developed a complex religion around their interaction with Eywa, centered around the "Tree of Souls", which grows only in rare locations across Pandora.

Human Relations
When the Human race begins to search Pandora for valuable minerals, the Na'vi are appalled and angered by the destruction of their jungle home for roads, human bases, and strip mines. They see no need for technology, and hence the damage done by humans in the pursuit of underground minerals seems like nothing more than senseless destruction that violates the basic tenets of their religion. They would look to Eywa for help, but their religion teaches that Eywa cares not for the existence of any one creature, but only for the balance of nature.
At first they were willing to interact with humans, but after concluding that humans had nothing of value to offer to them, they break off contact and start engaging in guerilla warfare to resist the human's mining operations.

Mating Practices
Na'vi mating.The Na'vi are monogamous creatures who mate for life. The mechanics of reproduction in Na'vi are similar to that of humans. However, their unique physiology provides the Na'vi with a level of intimacy unknown to Earth born creatures while mating, or "becoming one".

It had been found that, by culture, the female (if she accepts the male) is the one to initiate Tsahaylu. Because of the unpredictability of the bond's depth in the end, which affects the amount of pleasure the couple feel, there is a tradition stating that a couple's Tsahaylu cannot be mentioned, neither before nor after mating. This is to keep the rare offender from simply constantly attempting to engage in Tsahaylu with one who is not their match, an act that can be fatal after the first mating because of the stress inflicted emotionally and physically on a Na'vi sustaining more than one bond.

Traditionally, once a Na'vi male has passed the tests on the path to manhood and has been accepted into the clan as an adult he may choose his woman. After the woman has been chosen, she must decide if she accepts the male. If Eywa does not intervene, mating then begins under one of the white bioluminescent trees, where it is believed Eywa may oversee, protect, and show her approval or disapproval.

When a couple begins to mate, the female Na'vi will connect her queue to the male's, called Tsahaylu by the Na'vi, to create an emotional and spiritual bond that lasts a lifetime, beginning the process. The intertwining of queues is both highly erotic and profoundly spiritual, but does not in itself lead to reproduction. Jake Sully chooses Neytiri to become his mate, and she him, under the Tree of Voices following his acceptance into the Omaticaya clan as 'One of the People'.

It is known that the bond created by mating builds gradually, and as true Tsahaylu is made between the couple, "the ultimate in intimacy", the pleasure, builds gradually as well, and causes the somewhat non-willful sharing of the couple's happy memories, and is a sign of Eywa's acceptance. If a couple can be foreseen to not have a pleasant or happy future, Eywa has been known to reverse the feeling produced by making Tsahaylu, a sign to the couple that mating would only, in simple words, ruin their lives together, and therefore prevents the mating, because of it permanence. After the resulting embracing and, occasionally, kissing, the couple is sent into a deep sleep by Eywa, and the two dream hintings of their future together. The couple mating will not only be bonded spiritually and emotionally, but will also gain, while they sleep, a slight physical resemblance of each other, detectable only to Na'vi eyes. This is what allows a couple standing together to be recognized as a couple. The couple will experience the pleasure of Tsahaylu from the moment of connection, until they awaken and have completed mating, when they disconnect and return to the clan, mated for life.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP, It took me a little while to find the write-up, I saw the thread a couple of weeks ago...Hope it helps!

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: