The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Favorite Ship Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Favorite Ship Reply with quote

Ok .. I know this can be a bit of an ambigous(sp) question, as there are so many classes of ships (combat/civilian/starfighter/transport/capital), but what I'm after is this. Is there any one ship you like to use for your characters more than others?

Personally I've always been fond of the Firespray, but I haven't used it much, except ofc. when intorducing the number one bounty hunter of the galaxy Smile

I would have to say that my favorite ship of all the chars I have played would have to be the Baudo-class star yacht, mainly because I once played an Engineer turned Bounty Hunter, who had refitted one to be a very dangerous combat craft. It even had two trasponder codes, allowing it to pass as a sort of travelling repair shop, when stealth was needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Ship Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
Is there any one ship you like to use for your characters more than others?
...I would have to say that my favorite ship of all the chars I have played would have to be the Baudo-class star yacht, mainly because I once played an Engineer turned Bounty Hunter, who had refitted one...

Yep. Modified transports are always good. Smile

One pair of PCs have the stereotypical modified YT-1300 the Argo. They are slowly improving it towards (but nowhere yet near) the Millenium Falcon. The captain considers Platt O'Keefe her big rival. She hates O'Keefe and always refers to her with a four letter word, e.g. someone says "Platt O'Keefe" and the player immediately says "Sl*t!" I don't think we have ever specified why she hates O'Keefe. But one day they will meet in person...
BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats an easy one, the Mobquet Medium Cargo Hauler. cant get over the size and hull on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long standing A-Wing fan, though I've never had a character that flew one.

For more general use, modified freighters of many stripes are the way to go Razz I've also always been partial to the Lambda class shuttle.[/list]

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My smuggler character flies the light freighter version of the GR-75 Medium Transport The Crinya Light freighter. I've always tried to pick less popular ships, I don't know why. I also like the YT-1930 as far as personal transports go.

For fighters, I like the A-wing and X-wing about equally, each for their individual strengths.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Guardian Light Cruiser, particularly the upgraded version with the 4-man crew. Stock, it carries more cargo than the Millennium Falcon, and can still outrun her at sublight, plus it comes with 4 laser cannon and room for a dozen passengers (usually troops). Plus, its a known law enforcement vehicle, so a good set of forged documents can get you around a lot of Imperial entanglements.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends so much on the type of adventure, but the freighters are very useful, since they can house the entire group. They also tend to be modified in various ways, and these modifications are an endless source of problems for the characters to solve... Very Happy

From time to time I also let them come by a stolen Skipray or assault shuttle, which is often equipped with a homing beacon -in case it gets stolen...
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the Kazellis Light Freighter. Solid stats, nice lines and it's got a set of deckplans.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I like the Guardian Light Cruiser, particularly the upgraded version with the 4-man crew. Stock, it carries more cargo than the Millennium Falcon, and can still outrun her at sublight, plus it comes with 4 laser cannon and room for a dozen passengers (usually troops). Plus, its a known law enforcement vehicle, so a good set of forged documents can get you around a lot of Imperial entanglements.

Which upgraded version are you talking about? It says 16 crew, 8 skeleton. Where are the stats that you have for one with less?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Being it IS LE linked, good luck getting not just the forged ships paperwork, but forged license to pilot it, since you would also then need to get forged personal id's sliced somewhere to show you as being LE as well...
And heaven help you if you get caught with those forged papers..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Which upgraded version are you talking about? It says 16 crew, 8 skeleton. Where are the stats that you have for one with less?

The Guardian 344 upgraded version. Page 84 of Pirates & Privateers:

"Seinar has followed this cruiser with the Guardian 344, a ship with essentially the same performance statistics, but with a quarter the operating crew and space for a boarding party of 10 troopers."

Also in Pirates & Privateers, the PB-950 Patrol Boat is another good choice. Stats-wise, it's almost a match for the Millennium Falcon at dead stock, and is an outdated design from the Clone Wars that has been phased out. I know I've read one adventure in the Adventure Journal where a smuggling crew with a PB-950 used the ship to smuggle weapons past an Imperial Customs team, and no mention was made of the fact that the ship was a former law enforcement vessel, so obviously some are in civilian use. But I know if I had to pick a stock ship for a game, this one would be near the top of my list: 2 crew + 2 gunners & 8 passengers, 180 metric tons cargo space, 3 months consumables, HD x1, Space 8, Maneuver 1D, Hull 5D, Shields 3D, plus a quad-laser cannon, dual ion cannon and a concussion missile launcher. Stock

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Being it IS LE linked, good luck getting not just the forged ships paperwork, but forged license to pilot it, since you would also then need to get forged personal id's sliced somewhere to show you as being LE as well...
And heaven help you if you get caught with those forged papers..

There's nothing that says you can't have a civilian or surplus model of a military or law enforcement ship. My favorite personal car was a 1997 Ford Crown Victoria Interceptor that was a former County Sheriff patrol vehicle. I had it painted black with tinted windows and never did a thing to make it look like an official vehicle, but people still got out of my way in the fast lane, and I only ever got ticketed once in eight years, even though I almost always sped. I can't explain it or quantify it, but when people see a vehicle that might be a police vehicle, they tend to assume it is, even police themselves.

Granted, forged papers saying that a law enforcement surplus vehicle is in active service when it is obviously not is a bad idea, but there is still something about simply driving one that tends to generate a mild aura of immunity.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True there are former LE aspects in the civ sector, but most (especially ships) have the supped up / weaponry removed.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
I'm partial to the Kazellis Light Freighter. Solid stats, nice lines and it's got a set of deckplans.

Yes we had a group with a Kazellis Freighter single wing version, appropriately named the Lame Duck. It had greatly expanded sensors for recon and observation missions.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another ship just popped into my mind .. I've admittedly never used this ship, but I love the way it looks - the StarViper used mainly by the Xizor criminal organisation. In fact I may use it as the personal ship of my Jedi char Quin-Tain Zoh - if he ever does get a personal ship Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: