The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery and other 'Heavy equipment'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery and other 'Heavy equipment' Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 71 points would kill instantly your highest pc then I think I'll have to Up the Damage on the D20 detonator cause they do below 50pts of damage I'd need to make that 4 to 5 times what the damage is ... thats not a problem, I don't really want my players to play too much with them cause I know they'll abuse them. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another question are Thermal Detonators considered heavy equipment? They're small but do pretty much large scale damage ?

Another question yet is there a "mortar" type weapon ? Or how about a Thermal Detonator "Launcher or mortar". 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellstorm wrote:
If 71 points would kill instantly your highest pc then I think I'll have to Up the Damage on the D20 detonator cause they do below 50pts of damage I'd need to make that 4 to 5 times what the damage is ... thats not a problem, I don't really want my players to play too much with them cause I know they'll abuse them. 8)

Just think about it this way in the film ROTJ Jabba and everyone in the same room as him was threatened with instant and unavoidable death when Leia brought out a thermal detonator... And huts are fairly good at soaking damage... Also in the SW book that covers the period between ESB and ROTJ Lando destroys a palace by droping a thermal detonator or two down the um is it a garbage chute or a dumbwaiter... I forget the details it's been a while. The point is themal detonators are not safe to be near, they are massively powerful.

Also they aren't cheap. Your players shouldn't really to be able to afford to use them all the time...

Oh and don't forget an explosion that big/powerful will always be noticed and attract unwanted attention
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermal Detonators are "a compact sphere of volatile baradium found inside a thermite shell." (Direct from the Star Wars Website).

While it's more stable than Nitro (Which can, almost literally, blow up if you *LOOK* at it hard!), it's not stable enough to be used in a Launchable platform.

There are Bombs made from them used by Tie Bombers and Y-Wing varients, usually used for Anti-Material work ("See that Hydro-Electric Dam there? When we take a scan of this area again, we don't want it to be there!").

There are also CLASSES of Thermal Detonators. There are Military Grade Thermals that are the ones described in the main rulebook (Used also, with a modified shell, for light Demo Work), and then there are really, really "Big Boom" versions.

Finally, as to the "D20/D6" discussion... I'm just going to point out that there are alot of raving D6 fans here, that this forum was made for those people, and D20 fans need to enter at their own risk.

I'm one myself, but, guys, come on... Let's not drop to that level of childishness. Let's all play nice, and then none of us will run home crying if our Wookiees get broken...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Ray 8)

And nice Simpsons quote er... paraphrase
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"you went to a public school, so I'll assume you're familiar with small caliber weapons, why don't you try this thermal detonator"

I don't worry about risk (stick and stone will break my bones but you know the rest ...) For me it's all in good fun

Has any one heard of the : Merr-Sonn Mobile Mortar-3 (I finaly found a mortar) ? 8)

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's a nice one.

And my GM (With the group's almost unanimous agreement, aside from the Munchkin) agreed that Thermal Detonators can't go in it.

Be like putting a Nitro-Filled Explosive Shell in an artillery piece...

Or a regular Mortar.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get the stats, all I have is whats written down in the Essential Guide To Weapon And Technology (nice images but no stats) 8)

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on me. I own no books, and my GM is very, *VERY* careful with his (For an obvious reason).

What I can get, is what I can get... It's in both the Han Solo in the Corporate Sector and in Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear for folks that have that book.

IIRC, I did see stats for it in D20 (But, as I only flip through to see what is new and shiny for conversion, may be mistaken).
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti-Orbital Ion Cannon
The "150", as it is affectionately referred to by Rebel personnel, is possibly the single most powerful weapon in the ground forces arsenal of the Alliance. But, as powerful as it is, this massive battery is, of necessity, a disposable weapon. It can only be used once (in desperate circumstances) and it is too big to be disassembled during withdrawl actions: it must be abandoned. The 150 is deployed with the Alliance base on the planet Hoth. In the event of attack, the 150 will provide cover while the base is evacuated. There will almost certainly be no time to evacuate the 150 itself.

The crew of the 150 is composed entirely of Alliance soldiers from Alderaan. They are quite willing - eager, even - to die at their posts if it will aid the Rebellion and hurt the Empire.

Heavy Ion Cannon
Weapon: KDY v-150 Planet Defender
Type: Heavy Ion Surface-To-Space Cannon
Scale: Capital
Skill: Blaster Artillery: Surface-To-Space
Crew: 27, skeleton 12/+10
Cover: Full
Ammo: Unlimited (power generator)
Cost: 500,000 (new), 100,000 (used)
Availability: 3, X
Body: 5D
Fire Rate: 1
Fire Control: 5D
Ranges: Atmosphere/Low Orbit (1*)/High Orbit (3*)
Damage: 12D (ionization)
* This refers to the number of "Units" from the planet if conducting a space battle
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those the big bubble ion cannons from TESB? 8)

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That it is.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/heavyioncannon/img/movie_bg.jpg
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Oops and one more question

Can you set an E-Web blaster to stun?

NEGATIVE ghost rider. From all the sources i have read, both the heavy eweb (the tripod one) and the medium Eweb, do NOT have stun settings. And many of those same sources say that the light repeater (light eweb) cant either, but many gms i know of allow them to.

Quote:
Hmmm much better protection for the operators and better fire control but the E-Web still does more damage...

Is it the most powerful 'portable' gun there is?

Thanks for the listing Ray

Yes, i find that strange, where the Eweb is more damaging, even being character scale.

Quote:
are there Impact Thermal Detonators?

What I meant was not to get the detonator through the shied, just next to it to wipe out the shield and hopefully the crew along with it. Only problem I see...getting in close enough range to throw the darn detonator.

Yup, its called setting it to go off on impact, but that is stupid. As it has a throwing range just over HALF of its blast radius.

Quote:
and in D6 the do 12d damage so without wild dice thats 71 (11x6 + 5 on the wild dice) max damage but remember in D6 that wild dice can really have some unpredictible results.

Actually, they are only 10D damage, not 12..

Quote:
Just think about it this way in the film ROTJ Jabba and everyone in the same room as him was threatened with instant and unavoidable death when Leia brought out a thermal detonator... And huts are fairly good at soaking damage... Also in the SW book that covers the period between ESB and ROTJ Lando destroys a palace by droping a thermal detonator or two down the um is it a garbage chute or a dumbwaiter... I forget the details it's been a while. The point is themal detonators are not safe to be near, they are massively powerful.

Also they aren't cheap. Your players shouldn't really to be able to afford to use them all the time...

Oh and don't forget an explosion that big/powerful will always be noticed and attract unwanted attention

IIRC, the TD has a blast radius of 0-4/8/12/20, that is 20 METERS!!!! for 10d/8d/6d/4d... 2k credits cost each with a 2x code. So if caught with them, then you hope to heck you have a good excuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: