The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventure/Campaign Book Suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Adventure/Campaign Book Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ooryl2
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Adventure/Campaign Book Suggestions Reply with quote

Howdy

So my family and I, especially the kids are really enjoying the d6 SWRPG so far. We haven't actually had time to continue the adventures from the Introductory Adventure Game box, just the first one where they had to escape the base.

But in the meantime, I found a nice little publication of essays at my LGS from Technomancer Press called Roleplaying With Kids that has a lot of good info for the family in it.

One of the things I've taken from that, that we've been spending time on until we can fit the next IAG adventure in, is having the kids make their character their own. We started with just the character sheets from the box, they're still using those templates but have each created their own unique backstory, personality, and reason for being on Edan II in the first place.

I'm sure it will take us a while to get through the 6 IAG adventures, but as everyone is enjoying their characters even when we're not actually at the table playing, I'm starting to look forward at where our next adventure/campaign should take us.

I'm not terribly good at writing up adventures, so I'd like to get some suggestions on which adventure/campaign book(s) I should be looking to obtain next. The only other book I've actually been able to look at is the Darkstryder Campaign, it seems a bit advanced for us just getting our feet wet so far. Although the way it's set up is what I'd be looking for, a story laid out that I can generally follow as a GM, with a bit of improvising as needed. I'm just not ready to be creating my own adventures yet.

Any thoughts on which books I should be looking in to for our first adventure after the IAG? It looks as though by the end of the IAG, the characters would have received about a minimum of 50 CP. I don't know if there is a logical "difficulty" progression of the premade adventures or not. I know that I can adjust the difficulty as needed by adding/removing enemies/obstacles, but if there is a "proper"/recommended order I'd prefer following it.

Thanks!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Darkstryder campaign is hugely complex, and probably not the best choice for a group of beginning gamers. I would suggest picking up the Instant Adventure book. It's got nine short adventures, each short enough to run in roughly one gaming session. IIRC, you are new to the D6 system as well, so a simple adventure will help you find your legs as a GM too. Once you finish up Instant Adventures, you should be more than ready to move up to some of the larger adventure books.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with the Instant Adventures suggestion. (My favorite in that is the adventure "Heavy Lifting")

Also, be aware that Darkstryder is meant to be a bit darker and grittier than standard Star Wars fare... it's not as light-hearted as some of the other adventures tend to be. And therefore you might want to think twice before you run it for your kids.

My suggestion would be: pick up the Gamemaster's Handbook. It's got a ton of good gamemastering advice, several adventure hooks throughout and a short adventure in the back of the book. Stuff for both you (as the GM) and the players.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I may catch some flak for this, as not everyone agrees with my opinion, but Star Wars is essentially much like fantasy settings. You have the evil empire run by an evil lord/wizard, his dark knights, and overwhelming armies, fighting against the much smaller and under-powered rebels.

For this reason almost any story that has already been written in a mideval/fantasy/elisabethan setting can be adapted to the Star Wars setting. From Robinhood to Captain Ahab, to Treasure Island, all of these could be adapted to Star Wars or at least used as inspiration.

Many of the more modern settings are equally easily adapted.

http://www.swtft.com/adventures.html could also provide you with a few adventures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
Star Wars is essentially much like fantasy settings. You have the evil empire run by an evil lord/wizard, his dark knights, and overwhelming armies, fighting against the much smaller and under-powered rebels.

That is so true. And Lucas admits to being heavily influenced by Lord of the Rings when creating Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid the Dark Stryder campaign for now. That is something that will probably work better after your family has more experience role playing. It might work better once they are more experienced roleplayers and when the children are angsty teenagers. Wink

I don't disagree with anything the other folks have said on this. One of the great parts about Star Wars is that you don't necessarily need really complicated plots and you can rip off ideas from many other genres. What I find often works better than published scenarios is to pick one or two of the player characters and build an adventure around them and their background. The PC backgrounds should be fertile ground for adventure ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: