The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Independent Air Force in the SWU?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Independent Air Force in the SWU? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Independent Air Force in the SWU? Reply with quote

The modern US Air Force only came into being as a coequal branch of the military after World War II (being known as the Army Air Corps before that). The major impetus behind that transition is generally accepted to be the bomber wings that did such massive damage to Germany and Japan during the conflict, as well as the fact that they were the only service branch equipped to deploy the atomic bomb. Other countries had independent air forces during the war, specifically England's RAF and Germany's Luftwaffe.

In the various WEG sourcebooks, starfighter units are tied to either naval or army support operations. This is mostly true of the Empire, but even under the Alliance, Starfighter Command is considered part of the fleet. Although I have proposed a concept for a Star Wars starbomber capable of delivering massed ordnance bombardments, starbombers do not appear to exist in such fashion in the SWU. The closest approximation would be long range patrol vessels like the Skipray Blastboat (as bombers were used as patrol craft in the WWII Pacific Theater).

Bearing this in mind, is there any real impetus for either the Alliance or the Empire to develop an independent Air Force, or is it more likely that the current organizations will remain, with starfighters mostly tied to supporting army or navy units?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think so. After all, what's the purpose of a dedicated starfighter and bomber service if they operate in space (in which the navy already operates) or of a dedicated air force in an Empire with thousands of worlds?

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Imperials don't really like independence. According to WEG material there is already a significant inter service rivalry between the Army and the Navy. I would think the existing services would not want to share resources with a rival 3rd service. In addition, by not mounting hyperdrive on the standard Imperial Starfighters, tthe Imperials have intentionally pursued a policy of making starfighters dependent on either a ground base or a capital ship. So I just don't seeing an independent Starfighter service making sense for the Empire.

The New Republic is a bit different philosophically. Since the two Death Stars both succumbed to starfighter attacks that branch of the service has an influence, importance, and independence in the NR above what would be found in the Empire. In addition the Rebel doctrine of hyperspace capable starfigherts makes an independent Starfighter service make some sense. We tend to treat the Starfighter branch as being independent/dependent with respect to the Navy in a manner similar to how the US Marines interact with the US Navy. They are related services (officers of both go to Annapolis, Marines are stationed on Naval bases and ships, etc.) but are more or less independent of each other (separate chains of command).

Some caveats on why I think a fully independent service like the US Air Force does not make sense for Star Wars starfighers. In the Star Wars Universe starfighter units don't parallel airplanes from a logistics standpoint.
1) They aren't faster than naval vessels in hyperspace x1 and x2 hyper is shared by both starfighters and capital ships. Sometimes starfighters aren't even faster in real space). So they can't reach the target any faster than a capital ship can.
2) Despite very fast hyperdrive travel, the Star Wars galaxy and the Empire is much larger logistically than the earth. Even a passenger plane can fly half way around the world in less than a day. (I know I've taken the 19 hr non-stop ride from NJ to Singapore.)
3) Starfighters just can't carry the crew and supplies to strike half way across the Empire the way long range bomber airplanes can on earth.
4) There is no Star Wars equivalent to the nuclear equipped bombers of the Strategic Air Command except perhaps until one gets into some of the wacky super power EU weapons.

If you create longer range, small size ships that mount wacky EU planet busting weaponry, you probably do have some rationale for the starfigher service being fully independent. If that's what you want.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Imperial Navy's doctrine is around the Star Destroyer as the primary means of projecting power. (The same as the Pre-WWII Naval doctrine of nearly every navy in the world was centered around the battleship.)

The Rebel Alliance doctrine was centered around the (hyperdrive capable) starfighter and the New Republic is centered around the Carrier and Starfighter.

Space combat in Star Wars has always been analagous to WWII era naval aviation and surface warfare. Battleships, Carriers, Destroyers, Cruisers etc. with the Fighter, Dive Bomber and Torpedo Bomber etc.

The US Air Force was not only in recognition of the power of the bomber and its delivery of atomic weapons, but the recognition that aerial warfare was a separate form of warfare with its own strategies distinct from the Army. (aka the Air Force is not JUST there to support the Army, but it does do that, too.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
If you create longer range, small size ships that mount wacky EU planet busting weaponry, you probably do have some rationale for the starfigher service being fully independent. If that's what you want.

I agree with all your points, and I have no interest in joining the Superweapon of the Month club. However, I do think that starbombers do offer one thing that would make the Alliance more interested in them while the Imperial Navy would continue to disdain them: economy. A group of transport sized ship equipped as missile boats could wreak havoc on a convoy or even a Imperial Navy Line-sized unit, by unloading a barrage of warheads into the formation at close range. If one or two are lost to enemy fire, you lose half a dozen crew each, and while every loss stings for an organization like the Alliance, it would hurt less than losing 100 or more if they lost a front-line corvette or frigate on the same mission.

Many of the missions that bombers currently perform would also be within the capabilities of a starbomber, such as strategic bombardment and long range patrol. While they lack the range required to be the equivalent of modern bombers, they would be able to operate within a sector from a hidden base, much like Alliance starfighters.

While capital ships operate in a space superiority role (i.e. go into an area and control it on a long-term basis), I see starbombers operating in a space denial role (i.e. contest and deny space superiority to the enemy simply by being present and attacking the enemy where he is weak). Such a weapon would be perfectly in keeping with Alliance doctrine, and could conceivably deliver damage entirely out of proportion to their size and cost. Starbomber equivalents already exist, in the form of patrol boats and the like, and it seems a shame to me that no one has ever developed the idea further.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the ordnance itself is the determining factor. As in the Alliance can't afford to buy (or find) enough of it to make it worth their while.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The alliance could use light torpedo boats. Using a starship construction system I like (Krapou 2006/Grimace 2002) I drew up stats for a light freighter-sized torpedo boat, just as an example of what I was thinking:
Quote:
Craft: Torpedo Boat
Type: Prototype Area Denial craft
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 30 M
Skill: Space Transports: PT boat
Crew:2, 3 gunners
Cargo: 50 tons
Consumables: 3 Weeks
Cost: 500,000 Credits
Hyperdrive: x2
Nav Comp: Yes
Maneuver: 2D
Space: 8
Atmosphere: 365
Hull: 5D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 5/1D
Scan: 15/2D
Search: 75/2D
Focus: 2/2D+2
Weapons:
Heavy Laser Turret: Fire Control 2D, Damage: 5D, Range: 1-3/12/25
Turbolaser Cannon: Scale: Capital, Fire Control 2D, Damage 4D, Range: 3-12/35/75
Assault Concussion Missile Launcher: Scale: Capital, Fire Control 2D, Damage 9D, Range: 2-5/30/60, Magazine: 10

The construction system seems accurate, and being less than the cost of two X-wings and a B-wing, I'd consider this thing both useful and cost-effective. They also might opt to build one out of an existing light freighter, sacrificing performance for price and availability.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was sort of how I was thinking; that an SWU starbomber would incorporate aspects of bombers and fast attack torpedo boats ala WW2

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I think that the ordnance itself is the determining factor. As in the Alliance can't afford to buy (or find) enough of it to make it worth their while.

Definitely, but while logistics dictates everything in the RW, in the SWU it pretty much becomes a tool for artistic license, or for a GM to say why you are or aren't allowed to do something. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you think it would work in your campaign. Once that decision is made, all the other details fall into place.

jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Definitely, but while logistics dictates everything in the RW, in the SWU it pretty much becomes a tool for artistic license, or for a GM to say why you are or aren't allowed to do something. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you think it would work in your campaign. Once that decision is made, all the other details fall into place.

If you want to make the bomber, make the bomber. I'm a little miffed by the tone of your post. All I did was state why I think there aren't bombers in the Rebel Alliance.

And for that I get a lecture on artistic license?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
If you want to make the bomber, make the bomber. I'm a little miffed by the tone of your post. All I did was state why I think there aren't bombers in the Rebel Alliance.

And for that I get a lecture on artistic license?

Wasn't my intention, and I apologize. I just think that it is a great idea that someone missed out on at some point.

jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I don't stay mad long...

I don't dislike the idea of a bomber, I just see it being a very unique and specialized kind of thing. Maybe a few are made (or stolen) and used by an elite squadron or something.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Independent Air Force in the SWU? Reply with quote

Great discussion, guys. Everyone loves starfighters.

crmcneill wrote:
In the various WEG sourcebooks, starfighter units are tied to either naval or army support operations. This is mostly true of the Empire, but even under the Alliance, Starfighter Command is considered part of the fleet...

Bearing this in mind, is there any real impetus for either the Alliance or the Empire to develop an independent Air Force, or is it more likely that the current organizations will remain, with starfighters mostly tied to supporting army or navy units?

You did say "mostly" above, but based on your earlier comment I thought it might be worth clarifying in this thread that in the EU, the Alliance does in fact have a separate "air force" called Starfighter Command that is not a part of the Alliance Fleet according to WEG's The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook and more recent sources. Here are the seven "branches" or departments of the Alliance Millitary (TRAS p. 21-24):
    Fleet Command
    Ordanance and Supply
    Starfighter Command
    Support Services
    Intelligence
    Spec Forces Command
    Sector Command
And in my SW Universe I add a tab bit more organization to the nebulous depatment "Special Operations" described in GG9. SpecOps Command is an unofficial 8th branch in the Alliance Military, but it's very small and ran by minimal command structure that reports directly to the Alliance High Command Chief of Staff.

Anyway, I think a common point of confusion about Alliance starfighter command might be that the Fleet does have its own "Starfighter Command" as well (TRAS p. 25-26).

While it does seem to be true that a lot of the Alliance's starfighters would either be assigned to the Fleet or the various Sector Forces across the galaxy, the Allied Forces Starfighter Command is not only in charge of training pilots, and allocating and coordinating starfighter resources. It does have it's own contingent of starfighters. In the EU it is a variably small force, but if you wanted to develop it in your game into a larger independant force as this thread asks, I think you easily could. Each GM's impetus would merely be if you think that would be cool in your game.

And on a side note related to Starfighter Command, Rogue Squadron was assigned to Alliance High Command, which means they were an Allied Force unit that was not a part of the Fleet. And that would mean they were a part of Starfighter Command, assigned to the (roving) main Rebel base, at least between Yavin and Hoth. That means that Luke Skywalker, our original primary film protagonist, was actually a Commander in the Starfighter Command branch of the Alliance Military.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. Thanks for that.

What I picture is a post-Endor Alliance military with a mission that is evolved from the original pre-Endor one. What stands out to me is the following from the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook:

"Fast Attack Vessels and Patrol Craft
Fast attack vessels and patrol craft are somewhat larger than starfighters and have between four and 20 crewmembers. The two types are quite similar in design; the major difference between them is that fast attack vessels are hyperspace-equipped while patrol vessels are not. The craft are better armed and armored than starfighters, but also usually slower and less maneuverable.
These craft are primarily employed for picket duty, or to take on armed merchanters, pirate craft, and the like. In formal engagements, they are used for defense, or to make slashing attacks against frigates and corvettes. They are too small to menace cruisers and too unwieldy to effectively fight starfighters.
Patrol craft and fast attack vessels also are designed to operate from bases or motherships; they rarely carry much fuel or supplies."

They are also mentioned in Composition of the Battle Line, where their missions is to engage opposing vessels at a distance from the battle line, forcing them to deploy into battle formation, thus decreasing their operational mobility. In the graphic The Alliance Main Fleet Battle Line, their place in the battle line is filled with "Freighters".

There really isn't much else. The description sounds like something in the same class as most space transports (small crew, more heavily armed and armored, but less maneuverable than starfighters), but there is little information to be had apart from this.

If I were to introduce an independent Alliance Air Force / Aerospace Force, I would fold the fast attack and patrol vessels in with the starfighters, along with fast transports, thus emulating most of the classic facets of the USAF, as well as incorporating most aspects of US Naval an Marine Corps Aviation.

Starfighter Command would have administrative control of all starfighters and assign them to fleet missions (Naval Aviation), ground unit support (Close Air Support) or independent operations (ala the various air force combat wings).

Starbomber Command would have administrative control of all the fast attack and patrol boat units, but with an expanded mission, so that fast attack is now equipped to engage ground targets as well as fleet, and patrol boats would be upgraded with hyperdrives so that they can perform long distance independent patrols.

Transport Command would have an array of fast space transports used for rapid deployment of light infantry units (a combination of Airborne and Air Assault, as the freighters would be able to hand around and provide fire support.

IMO, the primary driving force would be economic factors. The Alliance military would soon be responsible for an area covering most of the old Empire, but with a fraction of the Empire's military forces. Expanding the capabilities and mission of Starfighter Command into an independent unit would give the Alliance military a quick left jab to go with its strong right hook: starbombers could hit vulnerable targets and harass enemy fleet units while assault transports land light troop units in vulnerable areas, dividing enemy attention while the Alliance fleet moves in for the kill. And that's just one example. Starbombers and assault transports could be used as a military rapid reaction force, getting to where they are needed quickly and establishing a presence before the main fleet could respond. IMO, this would be much more in keeping with the Alliance mindset than a massive fleet build-up.

Thoughts?

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
"Fast Attack Vessels and Patrol Craft
Fast attack vessels and patrol craft are somewhat larger than starfighters and have between four and 20 crewmembers. The two types are quite similar in design; the major difference between them is that fast attack vessels are hyperspace-equipped while patrol vessels are not. The craft are better armed and armored than starfighters, but also usually slower and less maneuverable.
These craft are primarily employed for picket duty, or to take on armed merchanters, pirate craft, and the like. In formal engagements, they are used for defense, or to make slashing attacks against frigates and corvettes. They are too small to menace cruisers and too unwieldy to effectively fight starfighters.

My old PC named Fallon Kell was a starship engineer. He designed a gunboat that partially fits into this category, but it was designed as a frigate killer, and at about 2 million credits was very expensive for a ship of about 40m in length. It carried powerful turbolaser cannons, twin laser turrets, and equipped the very finest in thrust vectoring engines, shields and sensors. The thing was fun, and cemented a love of gunboats in my mind. I highly recommend everyone run an adventure with some kind of true gunboat in it! (The XG-1 assault gunboat doesn't count!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: