The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creating a Sith Lord
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Creating a Sith Lord Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Creating a Sith Lord Reply with quote

I'm working on a new campaign to run for my group and am contemplating using a Sith Lord as the main villain. My group is not too used to playing with force characters that are that strong. Where might I go to get some help with stats for a character like that? How many attribute dice are we talking?

Also, this particular Sith Lord will be a little different. Due to certain events in the story, he will have slowly gone insane over the last several decades. What impact may that have on his skills? Any suggestions with how to proceed?
Drop Bear
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Sith Lords are insane anyway (Megalomania and Sadism), but I think you may mean Mad in other ways as well, mechanical I can't see any difference, RP wise depends on his/Her Brand of Crazy.

perhaps to make things a bit different, have him go Old School with Talismans and Sith Blades (Tales of the Jedi) and long forgotten force powers.

Dose the party have it's own Force users and what Dice do they have in Control, Sense & Alter?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, Sith Lords. If you are looking for examples, the Tales of the Jedi Companion is probably the best place to start.

You should consider several things when when deciding how powerful to make important characters.
1. How long is the campaign going to be? If the campaign is going to run a long time, the player characters will have a lot of time to close the power gap.
2. When/if that important character dies, is it going to be in single combat? Against a group? Or is the character going to die by secondary means (Blowing up a Death Star, Dropping a moon on the character, disease, a victum of his/her own experiments?)
3. Are the player characters going to have some secret weapon that can level the playing field in an encounter?
4. Be careful to not make an important character TOO powerful. You can always add or increase an NPCs abilities, skills, or powers to make him more formidable in later stages of the game. After all, your players characters arent the only ones who can learn new tricks.

Even before starting to build an important character, I tend to take a little time to consider that character's roll in the story, their motivation, and what it was that made them who they are. With Force users I try to give the character a trademark power, or set of similar powers. Does the character like to manipulate others? Use minions? Use brute force? I find that defining this tends to help make the character stand out.

Being insane isnt necessarily going to affect the character's skills, abilities, or powers. It is however going to affect the characters thought process, goals and reactions.

Drop Bear has a good point about using some of the Sith information from the Tales of the Jedi Companion, using long forgotten items and powers could serve to add a lot of unique flavor to your Sith Lord.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of going old school with Talismans, etc.  I don't intend him to be on the same level with Sidious or even Dooku.  Maybe more like C'baoth from the Zahn trilogy.  Old, out-dated and maybe even hermit-like.  Power-hungry, but really not able to control whatever power he seeks.The group of characters hasn't actually formed yet, but I am thinking there will be one, maye two force users, though none all that powerful.  So I want him to be defeatable.  Death by one of those secondary means is definitely what I had in mind.  I appreciate your thoughts on this.  Does that Jedi Companion give examples of how to allocate attribute dice for different force users?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some sample characters in the back like there the ones in the back of the core book. There are also some minor Sith Lords that could be easily converted. But there really isnt any guideline for how to build a Sith Lord. Much like any other character, every one is unique.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps have his power wax and wan with the moon as many old tails link the moon to madness.. So the closer it is to a new moon, the sainer he is, but the lower his skill D are (say 5-7d)
Half moon he is around 7-9d) and full, is his full potential, say 9-12d..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating a Sith Lord Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
I'm working on a new campaign to run for my group and am contemplating using a Sith Lord as the main villain. My group is not too used to playing with force characters that are that strong. Where might I go to get some help with stats for a character like that? How many attribute dice are we talking?

Also, this particular Sith Lord will be a little different. Due to certain events in the story, he will have slowly gone insane over the last several decades. What impact may that have on his skills? Any suggestions with how to proceed?

If you have the Dark Force Rising source book, or Thrawn Trilogy source book, I'd suggest having a look at Joruus C'baoth, he's a dark force user who's insanity and old age have started impacting his skills. Of course, his stats are reflective of challenging Luke Skywalker, so he may be a little more powerful than you're looking for, but it's not a bad place to start.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this will help or not, but I have a formula for creating new NPCs from scratch. I rarely use these exact numbers, but it makes a good "Target." I've found that a major villan at about two levels above the starting group (3-4 players) tends to work out nicely.

When using this guideline, all Force powers come from the Skill dice pool, but all Force powers cost X 3. In other words 3D worth of Skills = 1D worth of Force.

Keep in mind that the first baseline is a little weaker than a starting character, and the top baseline could go toe to toe with the Emperor, or Boba Fett and fight either one to a draw.

Insignificant
Attributes 12D
Skills/Force 10D

Novice
Attributes 12D
Skills/Force 20D

Experienced
Attributes 13D
Skills/Force 35D

Veteran
Attributes 13D
Skills/Force 50D

Advanced
Attributes 14D
Skills/Force 75D

Minor Hero
Attributes 15D
Skills/Force 125D

Experienced Hero
Attributes 16D
Skills/Force 175D

Veteran Hero
Attributes 17D
Skills/Force 230D

Advanced Hero
Attributes 18D
Skills/Force 290D

If you have any questions, or want some clarification, just let me know.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading these replies and thinking it over, I think C'baoth is a good example of what I may want to do. I don't own that particular book, but I am sure I can find those stats somewhere.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When using this guideline, all Force powers come from the Skill dice pool, but all Force powers cost X 3. In other words 3D worth of Skills = 1D worth of Force.

Keep in mind that the first baseline is a little weaker than a starting character, and the top baseline could go toe to toe with the Emperor, or Boba Fett and fight either one to a draw.

Insignificant
Abilities 12D
Skills/Force 10D

Just to make sure I understand this, are the ability D going into the main categories like dexterity, perception, control, etc., and the skills/force D going into things like dodge, con and lightsaber repair?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Quote:

Insignificant
Abilities 12D
Skills/Force 10D

Just to make sure I understand this, are the ability D going into the main categories like dexterity, perception, control, etc., and the skills/force D going into things like dodge, con and lightsaber repair?

Correct. I guess I should have said Attributes instead of Ability. My bad.

PS: I went back and corrected that typo in my previous post.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 55 - Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook wrote:

• Joruus C'baoth
(as of the Battle at Sluis Van Shipyards)
Type: Jedi Master
DEXTERITY 3D+2
Archaic guns 5D+2, bows 5D+2, Brawling parry 9D+2, dodge 9D+2,
melee combat 8D+1, melee parry 8D+1, lightsaber 9D+2, thrown
weapons 6D+2,
KNOWLEDGE 2D+1
Alien species 4D+2, cultures 4D+1, intimidation 7D+1, languages
5D+2, streetwise 6D, survival 7D, willpower 7D+1
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Astrogation 4D+2, beast riding 4D+1, repulsorlift operation 5D+1
PERCEPTION 3D
Bargain 8D, command 11D, con 10D, hide 9D, persuasion 7D,
search 9D, sneak 9D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 6D, climbing/jumping 8D+2, stamina 8D
TECHNICAL 2D+1
First aid 5D+1, lightsaber repair 10D, security 5D+1
Special Abilities:
Force Skills: Control 13D, sense 12D, alter 11D
Force powers (these are the powers which Joruus demonstrated, and
it believed he may have possessed others):
Control: Absorb/dissipate energy, accelerate healing, control pain,
detoxify poison*, emptiness, enhance attribute*, hibernation
trance, reduce injury, remain conscious, resist stun, short-term
memory enhancement*
Sense: Combat sense*, danger sense*, life detection, life sense,
magnify senses, receptive telepathy, sense Force
Control and Sense: Farseeing*, lightsaber combat, projective telepathy
Control and Alter: Force lightning*, inflict pain*
Control, Sense and Alter: Affect mind, control mind*, enhanced
coordination*, telekinetic kill*
Special: Force scream**
This character is Force-sensitive
Force Points: 35
Dark Side Points: 21
Character Points: 17
Move: 10
Equipment: Lightsaber (5D), robes

(as of the Battle for the Katana fleet)
Force Points: 22
Dark Side Points: 25
Character Points: 21

(as of the Assault on Mount Tantiss)
KNOWLEDGE 2D*
Alien species 3D*, cultures 2D+1 *, intimidation 8D, languages 4D*,
streetwise 4D*, survival 6D*, willpower 5D*
PERCEPTION 2D*
Bargain 6D*. command 11D+1, con 8D*, hide 8D*, sneak 7D*
Brawling 6D+2
Special Abilities:
Force skills: Alter 12D
Force Points: 20
Dark Side Points: 35
Character Points: 19
Equipment: Lightsaber (5D), robes, remote detonator
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the stats on C'baoth! That saves me a lot of searching.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps have his power wax and wan with the moon as many old tails link the moon to madness...
Ummm...which moon(s)? Question Star Wars is in space, ya know. Wink
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Perhaps have his power wax and wan with the moon as many old tails link the moon to madness...
Ummm...which moon(s)? Question Star Wars is in space, ya know. Wink

I think garhkal was talking about the lunar cycle on whatever planet this sith is living on.

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Thanks for the stats on C'baoth! That saves me a lot of searching.

No problem, happy to help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: