The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Kraken" Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> "Kraken" Droid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: "Kraken" Droid Reply with quote

I've been rolling this one around in my head for awhile now, and I decided it was time to write out the stats and share it.

Edited to adopt gharkal's suggestion:
Quote:
Type: "Kraken" Droid
Dexterity: 3D
Dodge: 4D
Knowledge: 2D
Tactics: 5D
Mechanical: 3D
Astrogation: 6D
Starship shields: 5D
Starship sensors: 5D
Perception: 2D
Strength: 5D
Brawling: 6D
Technical: 2D+1
Droid Repair: Kraken Droid: 5D+2
Droid Engineering: Kraken Droid: 3D
Scale: Capital
Size: 100m body length
Cost: Not available for sale. (Valued at 850,000 credits)
Hyperdrive: x2
Space: 6
Shields: 1D
Hull: 5D

Equipped With:
• 6 100m Grappling tentacles (+2D to Brawling: Grappling)
• 4 Clamping arms (+2D to brawling damage for an immobilized target)
• 8 Fine manipulator tentacles (used to disassemble and scavenge starships)
• Hypospace-Realspace sensor array:
Passive: 30/2D
Scan: 60/3D
Search: 75/3D+1
Focus: 5/4D

The idea here is this droid travels about in hyperspace, finds a spot it thinks would be a nice place to hunt and reverts to hypospace rather than realspace. (I just came up with hypospace for this thing. You can call it hyperspace if you dont' want to deal with it.) Its passive sensors can detect ships in realspace, so it lays in wait for a ship to approach near enough to be detected then reverts to realspace and wraps the target craft in it's tentacles. Then it jumps to hyperspace, carrying a large chunk (or maybe even all) of the target craft with it. Meanwhile the clamping arms and fine manipulators disassemble the prey craft as the droid "eats" the ship. It keeps any useful parts it finds and adds them to itself, also draining the ship of fuel and energy reserves.

I think it's handy for sudden "sea monster" attacks, old spacer's tails and random sightings to make your player's characters appear insane.

I haven't come up with any background story for these things, but I'd say they're really old and probably designed to fight a guerilla war between two civilizations that no loner exist...

As always, feel free to use it yourself, change it in any way you see fit, and have fun wit it!

Complete Starship Construction System

Last edited by Fallon Kell on Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but maybe make it a creature instead of a droid, that way their ability to hypospace (or hyperspace) or whatever can be explained as adaptation.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, a "kraken" type space monster mentioned in the Tales of the Jedi series are the Stargrazers, which were capital-scale fictional / legendary creatures that attacked starships.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the Foreign Intruder Defense Organism as a possible source of inspiration.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty sure I want this think to be a droid that can be mistaken for a creature, but don't let that keep you from adapting the stats to be a living creature for your own purposes!

Esoomian, I remember the FIDO from when I was a kid flipping through the pages of the Essential Guide to Droids! Mine's a similar concept on a grand scale, so maybe I can dig up a useful detail or two to steal... Wink

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to write up the kraken machines from the Matrix. I like what you did better though.

The Lando Calrissian Adventures by L Neil Smith had a starfish shaped droid, Vuffi Raa, that had been created by a very ancient race of sentient replicating computers/droids who were explorers created by a long dead biological race. Either making the krakens self repairing, self replicating explorer droids (see von Neumann machines) created by an ancient race or go with an ancient war engine (see Saberhagen Berserkers) seems like it could work. Perhaps the original progenitor kraken was somehow damaged and does not itself remember its original purpose. They could even be extra-galactic in origen.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I would though, think to add in some sort of (A) engineering skill to make use of those 'additions' and poss even have some weapons already added in.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting. I would though, think to add in some sort of (A) engineering skill to make use of those 'additions' and poss even have some weapons already added in.

I can't believe I forgot to add the engineering skill!

I wanted it to be unarmed except for, well, its arms... But you have pointed out it's glaring shortcoming!

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really get the point of this droid. Is it a kind of piracy droid? Why would anyone make a droid several hundred meters long to attack ships with its arms?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I dont really get the point of this droid. Is it a kind of piracy droid? Why would anyone make a droid several hundred meters long to attack ships with its arms?
Always good to ask the point of a new creature/species/device/etc. My read is it's the Star Wars equivalent of a fantasy game sea monster. The arm attack is because the poster wants it to be a robot space kraken.

If I were to use it, I would probably make it a relic of an ancient race that created Van Neumann machines for exploration. Possibly the creators were not at all warlike and didn't equip their explorers with lasers, blasters, or missiles. The arm "attack" is really a function of the droids original resource gathering for self replication. In line with a more pacifist technology I would add Mon Calamari-like redundant shielding and maybe some type of energy drain device that could absorb a certain amount of blaster/laser energy as an alternate power source to refuel and power the self replication.

Last edited by Bren on Tue May 31, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

IMO, it's essentially an exotic form of space mine, but also one that will play on the psychological fears of the superstitious (which includes a lot of sailors).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, rather than use hypo-space, I would suggest using subspace, which is already an established part of the EU.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a linked q.. IF someone managed to stop it taking them into subspace/hypo space, and then neutralized it (eg mass ion damage), could they then figure out what part of it allows said 'shifting' and take it themselves, to allow them to incorporate it into their ship?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As a linked q.. IF someone managed to stop it taking them into subspace/hypo space, and then neutralized it (eg mass ion damage), could they then figure out what part of it allows said 'shifting' and take it themselves, to allow them to incorporate it into their ship?
Interesting question. If I were the GM I might let them. Of course incorporating the ship would require much integration of the new alien tech systems. Make this reasonably difficult, require spaceship engineering, droid and/or computer programming and repair, and a high navigation. Then if they are successful with all that, the droid comes back to life taking over their ship and tries to eliminate the biological vermin infesting its new body. MWAHAAHAHA! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: