The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Strange situation.. how would you go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Strange situation.. how would you go? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

Lets say for what ever reason, our hero gets wounded when acting first (eg enemy uses power block, or he flubs the attack and wounds himself as the complication)...

Since when wounded you get no more actions in the round, would that also stop him making a reactive dodge/parry?
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always let players Dodge, it's a reactionary skill. I would however make sure they're using MAP's and stuff. They're at minus skill dice from their wound levels as well as an additional -1D if the player didn't make a point to save an action for Dodging.

However I would -not- let them Parry anything. Of course, I also let people use Dodge in Melee (just raise the difficulty 1 level since the attacker is up close and personal).
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont remember this ever happening to any of my players or myself since I started playing Star Wars. But with that said, I think Praxian has the right idea. I think I'd let my players Dodge, but not Parry. I look at Dodge as the character getting out of the way or avoiding an interaction, where as Parry involves interacting with the current situation.

At least thats the logic I'd use.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I dont remember this ever happening to any of my players of myself since I started playing Star Wars. But with that said, I think Praxian has the right idea. I think I'd let my players Dodge, but not Parry. I look at Dodge as the character getting out of the way or avoiding an interaction, where as Parry involves interacting with the current situation.

At least thats the logic I'd use.

That's exactly the logic that one of my players tossed at me when they wanted to use Dodge in melee as well (which is why I said ok, but raised the diff one level). Of course, they had like 11D in dodge.... lol
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope since they were dodging out of melee/brawl, they then were out of melee/brawl for any counter attacks..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
...Since when wounded you get no more actions in the round, would that also stop him making a reactive dodge/parry?
According to the RAW, yes.
SW RPG 2nd Edition page 97 wrote:
Wounded characters fall prone and can take no actions for the rest of the round.

However, as the GM I would probably either allow a dodge with an addition -1D or -2D MAP for being wounded that round or just have the bad guys target someone who is still active and upright as being a greater immediate threat. Wink
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
or just have the bad guys target someone who is still active and upright as being a greater immediate threat. Wink

Shooting at a prone target would have a significant penalty, so unless the shooter is hell-bent at shooting at someone who's already shot down, in my game, even most mooks are smart enough to change their target to a greater immediate threat.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
taedae
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im new to these forums, and i would say a -2d would be about right. its better than them not getting a dodge role at all
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Lets say for what ever reason, our hero gets wounded when acting first (eg enemy uses power block, or he flubs the attack and wounds himself as the complication)...

Since when wounded you get no more actions in the round, would that also stop him making a reactive dodge/parry?

AFAIR, not only does the character lose their actions, but they're thrown prone as well. Even without being prone, a wounded character is in a lot of sudden pain, and can't focus on what's going on, hence losing actions, which would include paying attention to what's happening around them. For example, this would be a higher level of damage, but... look at Luke in ESB when Vader takes his hand... what happens, his eyes reflexively close and he reaches for the area of pain. He's not making any kind of reflexive parry or dodge... Likewise, Leia gets shot in ROTJ outside the bunker, she falls back in pain (and consequently gets sexually assaulted by Han)... she's not making any sudden actions outside of feeling pain.

I say no on reactive dodge/parry. They lose actions, they lose actions.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Bren wrote:
or just have the bad guys target someone who is still active and upright as being a greater immediate threat. Wink

Shooting at a prone target would have a significant penalty, so unless the shooter is hell-bent at shooting at someone who's already shot down, in my game, even most mooks are smart enough to change their target to a greater immediate threat.

Shooting while prone should have one but why should it be harder to shoot someone who fell?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Shooting while prone should have one but why should it be harder to shoot someone who fell?
Ummm...cause they're prone?
SW RPG 2nd Edition page 97 wrote:
Wounded characters fall prone and can take no actions for the rest of the round.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange situation.. how would you go? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
why should it be harder to shoot someone who fell?

Are you being serious? Aren't you in the military? If you start shooting at me and I have no cover, I'm going to fall prone. Why? It makes me less of a target. Aren't targets easier to hit when they are standing up compared to lying down? Whether it is intentional or not, me being prone gives you less to shoot at.

Depending on the circumstances, I would likely equate just being prone alone to being at least 1/2 covered which would mean a penalty of 2D or more to hit. But it has never come up in my game because no one shoots people when they are down. I've only ever had one player that wanted to do that "just to be sure because he is too dangerous to be left alive" but I threatened a DSP and he relented. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True,. but standing up you can duke and dodge, lying down your choices are severely hampered.. Also, most other game systems hitting a target when you are higher gives a bonus.
taedae
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 5 d's of combat

dodge
dive
dip
duck
dodge
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True,. but standing up you can duke and dodge, lying down your choices are severely hampered.

Ah, I see your point, but that's not where I was coming from at all. I was not originally referring to the tatical validity of choosing to fall prone vs. not. I agree that your actions are hampered while prone. I wasn't referring to the target character taking any sort of action. The question came from being able to dodge after falling prone from being wounded.

I was stating the base difficulty would be higher for the attacker to hit a prone character anyway, regardless of the reason they are prone (wounded, by choice, etc.). A prone character is a smaller target. Whether they can dodge or not, it would be harder to hit them just because they are prone.

But I'll chime in and say that I also interpret RAW to mean wounded characters can't dodge later in the same round they are wounded and prone. But like I said, no one in my game shoots prone characters who were just wounded. Not mooks, not elite villains, not PCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: