The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Choose your own Adventure style games?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Choose your own Adventure style games?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Choose your own Adventure style games? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever created a Choose your own Adventore style game for Star Wars? I know a lot of the old WEG books have them, but I'm looking for fan created scenareos. (If anyone needs an example, see R&E corebook p9-17.) If not, would anyone be interested in working on a project like that?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a LOT of work.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just one person, yeah it can take a little time and a lot of effort. But back when my gaming group were playing Dominion Tank Police RPG and AD&D, we used to put together short scenareos . If you have 2-3 people working on a single story, it actually comes together pretty easily.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to do something like that. At one time there was one out there, but I think that site has long since gone defunct.

I'd be up for helping up on something like that.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I've always wanted to do something like that. At one time there was one out there, but I think that site has long since gone defunct.

I'd be up for helping up on something like that.

Great!

Anyone else interested in helping out?

Any preference on how we go about this? To start off, we need a story idea, in the past we have always tried to create a vague enough of a story that people can add their own characters instead of needing to use a pregenerated one. We used to have one person start a story, then let the other person(s) proof read it before each person involved takes one path and continues writing.

Does anyone have any story ideas? I'll post a couple of my own:

-A Smuggler on a spice run.
-A Bounty Hunter chasing down an elusive target.
-A young Padawan trying to survive Order 66.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to tackle a Force user for the first choose your own adventure. So either 1 or 2 would probably be preferrable.

We would need to, of course, have a little bit better story line, but that's in the "fleshing out" part.

Is the plan to put this into a PDF or put it online or what?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I wouldn't want to tackle a Force user for the first choose your own adventure. So either 1 or 2 would probably be preferrable.

We would need to, of course, have a little bit better story line, but that's in the "fleshing out" part.

Is the plan to put this into a PDF or put it online or what?

I havent really thought too much about the format yet. Making it available to the community as a whole is the important thing, but I admit, I tend to prefer files in the PDF format.

If nobody has any suggestions for a first story, then I vote going with the Bounty Hunter storyline.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty hunter story is fine by me.

Now what we need is some sort of outline for the start of the story and then we can figure things out from there.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...A Bounty Hunter adventure is one that offers a good potential for intrigue & back-story as well as the main adventure (suppose the character has a run-in with relations to a prior target?), though that may be a bit too much for what's being looked for.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now we are going to try for a simple short story (Kind of a test run). Once we get more comfortable with writing these stories, they will likely become MUCH more involved.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know. We are on the home stretch of our first story. Is anyone interested in proof reading the project?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We havent forgotten about you! We have had a couple of minor technical difficulties on our end that have set us back a few days, but the adventure is still on its way. The story itself has been completed, edited, play tested, then edited some more. Grimace will start putting the final touches on the project some time next week. In the mean time, I wanted to give everyone a little sample:

A Fist Full of Credits
A Solitaire Adventure
By: Guardian_A & Grimace

"A Fist Full of Credits" is a fan created Solitaire Adventure for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game by West End Games. You play through this adventure by reading and following the directions at the end of each entry.

This adventure was created for a beginning character. You can create a Bounty Hunter character using the rules found in Chapter 1 of your Star Wars Roleplaying Game book. If you want to jump right into the action, you can use the example character we have provided below.

What do you need to play?
-A copy of Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd ed, or Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Revised & Expanded.
-A new Bounty Hunter character.
-Several six sided dice.
-A Pencil.
-A piece of paper for notes.

Example Character:
Character Name: Jace Star
Gender/Species: Male/Human
Dexterity 3D+2
-Blaster 4D+2
-Dodge 4D+2
Knowledge 2D+1
-Streetwise 3D+1
Mechanical 2D
-Repulsorlift Opperation 3D
Perception: 3D+2
-Investigation 4D+2
-Search 14D+2
Strength 3D+2
-Brawling 4D+2
Technical 2D+2
Move: 10
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points: 1
Character Points: 5
Equipment: Blaster Rifle (5D), COMPSNOR Stun Blaster Pistol (2D stun), Protective Vest (+2 energy, +1D physical), Wrist Manacles (STR 6D to break), Two Medpacks, Datapad, 300 Credits.
Background:
Jace Star has spent his entire life on the bustling world of Coruscant, barely scraping by until he got his bounty hunter’s license a few days ago. With just a few credits to his name, he realizes that he needs to collect his first bounty soon, . . . .

A Fist Full of Credits
A Solitaire Adventure
By: Guardian_A & Grimace

Coruscant. Imperial City. The bright center of the galaxy. From the gleaming spires of skyscrapers jutting into a cloudless sky, to the millions of shiny new hovercars and hovertrucks darting through the skylines, it sits as the beacon of all things great in the Empire. But it’s not all wealth and success for everyone on Coruscant. For many, they have to scrape for every credit. This is your predicament.

You step around another burnt out landspeeder before stepping up onto the broken curb in the bowels of Coruscant. Looking up, you see the sickly grey haze that passes for daylight this deep in the under levels. Two turbolifts and a sky taxi later, you arrive at your destination.

From the outside, the Hutt's Bounty is in desperate need of maintenance and a fresh coat of paint. Inside, the place is a filthy little hole in the wall that smells of fresh smoke and stale sweat. The cantina's only redeeming quality is the dirty view screen dominating one wall, slowly cycling through the local bounty postings. The Hutt's Bounty is usually filled with a mixed lot of Bounty Hunters. All of them boasting their exploits or closely watching the vidscreen in the hopes of getting a jump on any new bounties. Thankfully, this time of day, the place is nearly deserted.

Tulloa, a pretty, over-friendly Sullustan serving girl at the cantina saunters over to you as you take your usual seat. "Good morning handsome!" She says, her large eyes twinkling, “What can I get you?"

Knowing that you won’t be bothered again if you buy something, you order a cheap drink before turning your attention to the view screen.

While waiting for your drink to arrive, you see a bright red bar flash across the lower portion of the screen, announcing a new bounty posting. Reading the information as it slowly scrolls along the bottom of the screen, “Gyr Maxon. Species: Human. Sex: Male. Homeworld: Coruscant. Height: 1.7 meters. Weight: 85 kilograms. Age: 26. Crimes against the Empire: Theft, Larceny, Fraud, theft of computer data. Reward for Capture: 2000 Credits Alive, 1000 Credits Dead.” Quickly writing down the relevant data, you continue to watch the information creep across the screen, “Gyr Maxon is a gambler and con man with a long history of petty crimes. Gyr has fled when confronted by Coruscant PD in the past and is not expected to be dangerous. Known to frequent the Pure Sabacc Night Club in Sector 1126, Coruscant.”

With a smile and a wink, Tulloa hands you your drink. You toss back your drink, savoring the burn for a moment. Starting for the door, you are already planning your first move.

Roll Investigation:

*On an Investigate roll of 10 or higher. You look up Gyr Maxon’s home address on the local database and go there looking for clues about his whereabouts. Go to section 2

*On an Investigate roll of 9 or less. With no better idea of where to start, you head to the Pure Sabacc Night Club looking for Gyr Maxon. Go to section 3.

You hail a sky taxi at the curb and forty minutes later you arrive at a rundown apartment complex. A dozen screaming children of various species are playing amongst broken speeder bikes, and foul smelling waste receptacles. A graying Wookiee is leaning over the rail of a balcony three stories up, giving you a brief glance through half lidded eyes before returning her attention to the children below.

Checking the apartment number one last time, you take the stairs to the second floor.

If you looked up Gyr Maxon’s home address on the local database, go to Section 6.

If you were given Gyr Maxon’s home address at the Pure Sabacc Night Club, go to Section 14.

You hail a taxi speeder and almost an hour later you arrive at the Pure Sabacc Night Club. There are no lines waiting to get in yet, as the day is still early, but the electronic sounds of the band can still be heard from behind the closed doors. The one bouncer at the door doesn’t even seem to give you much more than a glance as you head in.

The club is glitzy, yet still pretty empty. Still, there are four individuals, including a Twi’lek, that are dancing in the hover section of the dance floor. The bar on the far left is devoid of patrons, but there are three bartenders going about their duties of preparing for the mob that would start arriving in a couple of hours. On the right is a raised section where the Sabacc tables sit. The whole area is clean and tidy.

Only four of the nearly thirty tables have any players at them. Besides the players, there are half a dozen people observing the games going on, and a veritable army of droid servants waiting to serve anyone who might need refreshment or more gambling chips. Scattered around the section are also half a dozen security guards.

If you want to go to the Sabacc area, go to Section 20

If you want to talk to the bartenders, go to Section 30

Keep watching for the final adventure! Its more than 120 sections long!
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far, I'm curious to see it all once it is finished. If I may ask, how long did it take to put together?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Looks good so far, I'm curious to see it all once it is finished. If I may ask, how long did it take to put together?

It took about a week to write it and about a week to play test/edit it.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets give Grimace a big hand for finishing this document up so quickly! Not only did was he the co-writer of the project, he also put the whole thing into a PDF, and then he also took the time to link the options at the end of each post to the next section of the story!

Also, I want to give Bren a big thank you for the proof reading & play testing he did. He contributed greatly to the quality of the finished project.

Enjoy the story everyone! And we would love to know what everyone thinks!
http://www.4shared.com/document/byCoomP5/Star_Wars_A_Fist_Full_of_Credi.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: