The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Riot Troopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Riot Troopers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Does the shield therefore completely negate (i.e. reduce to 0 before even rolling to soak) the damage from a blaster, or any other source of energy damage? If not, why a lightsaber's?

It's not foolproof, but its the only way I can really think of to balance several factors, most specifically making the shield proof against lightsabers, but only up to a certain point. Maybe the Jedi can roll either Lightsaber or his Control dice, whichever is higher...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Only in a random direction. At very close range, this could create a danger to the shooter.... For example, the shooter must make a dodge roll of 10 to avoid being hit by his reflected shot. On the other hand, maybe only if the wild die comes up as a 1 for the shooter or as a 6 for the defender would the shooter need to dodge.

It seems like you'd need the control skill in order to actually aim the bolt back on purpose.
Of course tall shooters (or one's on elevations) could fire at the shields in the back rows and the reflected shots would hit the front ranks in the back. Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I still haven't settled on an idea for Lightsabers vs. Power Shields, but here is my stat write-up for a shield.

Model: Imperial Munitions DB-7 Power Shield
Skill: Melee Parry
Cost: 15,000
Availability: 4, R
Body Strength: 6D (3D Physical + 3D Energy)
Notes:
-Character must declare use at the beginning of the round, and may keep the shield up in subsequent rounds. The character may also make a Moderate Melee Parry roll to bring the shield up in reaction to an attack.
-When equipped with a shield, a character can not move at All-Out speed, and is at -2D Dexterity for all actions other than wielding the shield.
-The shield only provides protection in the character's front fire arc. All other arcs resolve damage normally.
Combat Use:
1). When a character is protected by a shield, apply the To Hit roll to the following table:
    To Hit roll succeeds by:
    0-15 = Shot hits Shield (Go to Step 2)
    16+ = Shot hits character behind shield (Roll damage normally)

2). If the shot hits the shield, roll damage against the shield on the following table:
    0-3 = Not Seriously Damaged (Defender is completely protected)
    4-8 = Lightly Damaged (Original Damage roll - 4D to Defender)
    9-12 = Heavily Damaged (Original Damage roll - 2D to Defender)
    13-15 = Severely Damaged (Original Damage roll -1D to Defender)
    16+ = Destroyed (Defender suffers full damage)

3). If the shield is damaged, adjust the shield's Physical Strength according to the following table:
    Lightly Damaged = -1D to Strength
    Heavily Damaged = -2D to Strength
    Severely Damaged = Can not be used, but may be repaired
    Destroyed = Can not be used or repaired

EDIT: Changed the price from 1,500 to 15,000

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheep for what it gives. I would also have a min str to carry, a time of recharge/how long a charge lasts.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Cheap for what it gives. I would also have a min str to carry, a time of recharge/how long a charge lasts.
I agree on almost all points. I'd just have the user make a strength check, rather than have a minimum strength. I'd consider it worth at least 2500, and maybe several times that.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to suggestions on the price. With regards to minimum strength to carry the shield, I can't think of a single other stat that includes rules to that effect, apart from the optional rules in RoE. A energy charge rating might be appropriate, but there are no rules for how long a lightsaber can be on before it runs out of energy, even though it has to happen at some point. IMO, it's easier to simply say that the shield has as much power as it needs for the purposes of the story.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.... I don't see why it should be so heavy that a strength check or minimum strength is required... if it's THAT heavy that an average person (2D strength) can't wield it, then it's too heavy to be effective as a battle implement.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I'm open to suggestions on the price. With regards to minimum strength to carry the shield, I can't think of a single other stat that includes rules to that effect, apart from the optional rules in RoE. A energy charge rating might be appropriate, but there are no rules for how long a lightsaber can be on before it runs out of energy, even though it has to happen at some point. IMO, it's easier to simply say that the shield has as much power as it needs for the purposes of the story.

IIRC, the standard Diatium power cell in a lightsaber could often last a Jedi's whole life. Maybe that would be the exact thing to power a lightsaber-blocking shield?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Lets look at power gauntlets, they carry a charge (time they last), same with jump boots, repulsor belts, power armor etc... So why not a shield?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Lets look at power gauntlets, they carry a charge (time they last), same with jump boots, repulsor belts, power armor etc... So why not a shield?

Well, if you like the stat write-up, you can add a duration if you like. Personally, I like the idea of the shield lasting as long as the combat takes, because it means that the PCs will be forced to deal with the shield with ingenuity or brute force, not hiding somewhere and waiting for the shield to run out of power.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer durations on things, that way you don't have a riot shield lasting a 5 min combat, one session. And 24 min in another (lets say)..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I prefer durations on things, that way you don't have a riot shield lasting a 5 min combat, one session. And 24 min in another (lets say)..

I've never had a combat sequence last 60 rounds (5 minutes), let alone 288. As I said, if you like my write-up but feel that it should include a duration for how long it can stay up, feel free to add one. I just had my own reasons for not including one.

EDIT: And I changed the price from 1,500 to 15,000

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

That looks suitably painful in the pocketbook. Smile

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

That looks suitably painful in the pocketbook. :)

I went into the Equipment Compilation book and looked up prices for advanced power armors and other high-tech protective systems. 15,000 seemed to be a reasonable fit...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using those times as an example.. though i have seen seven combats hit the 20+ round mark before..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: