The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solitaire Adventures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Solitaire Adventures! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of Solitaire Adventure would you like to see?
A Smuggler Adventure
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
A Bounty Hunter Adventure
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
A Jewel Theif Adventure
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
A Rookie Pilot Adventure
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
A Pirate Adventure
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 18

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
Henrik.Balslev wrote:
I get a sudden urge to create a Quarren pirate called D'vy J'nzz

I think he's referring to Pirates of the Carribean villain. When I fist saw him in the movie I thought Quarren too.
No, Quarren are squid like not monkey like. It was actually two jokes in one. Though possibly rather obscure jokes. Laughing
First joke - Davy Jones was a member of the 1960s American pop group The Monkees.
Second joke - in the back of comic books long, long ago there were adds for creatures called Sea Monkeys - I think they were brine shrimp. The ads always made them look like some cross between sea horses and mermen/mermaids. So sea+pirate+Davy Jones+Pop group

It may have been funnier in my head or perhaps you just had to be there (in the 60s that is). Wink OK, OK, I won't give up my day job. Smile

I got both of your references, but I was merely stating that I think Henrik.Balslev's orignal Quarren reference comes from the Pirate of the Carribean villain with tentacles coming down from his face vaguely similar to a Quarren. A totally different Davy Jones.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Doh!

The only thing worse than having to explain a joke is explaining a joke you didn't have to explain.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually still have old comic books that have the Sea Monkey adds on them. As a kid I always wanted them but never ordered them myself. From what I've read online, they really didn't look like the add and I probably would have been dissappointed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I actually still have old comic books that have the Sea Monkey adds on them. As a kid I always wanted them but never ordered them myself. From what I've read online, they really didn't look like the add and I probably would have been dissappointed.
Oh no Whill. You totally missed out. They are exactly like the old ads. They even have Sea Monkey kings with little tiny crowns and everything. Razz

Fortunately, my experience ordering the giant army and navy set with 1000 pieces so I could reinact D-Day jaded me too much to be taken in by the Sea Monkeys or X-Ray glasses. When the army arrived all the pieces were basically 2-D and the battle ships were the same size as the infantrymen. Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of the Navarone Playset I had as a child. Came with goose-stepping Nazis and everything.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That reminds me of the Navarone Playset I had as a child. Came with goose-stepping Nazis and everything.
Pretty cool. And the good news is that if you swap out the plastic army men for stormtrooper and rebel spec forces miniatures I think you have a great setting for a fun scenario.

The bad news is that comparing what you looked like then and with your hooded avatar picture, I would have to say candidly that you have not aged as gracefully as we might have all hoped. Razz
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
comparing what you looked like then

I was not aware there any pictures of what I looked like then floating around out there. Surprised You know I have to keep my identity secret to protect my family from my enemies.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I was not aware there any pictures of what I looked like then floating around out there. Surprised You know I have to keep my identity secret to protect my family from my enemies.
You mean that isn't young Whill standing next to the Navarone playset? It looks like I've been fooled by the Supreme Chancellor after all. Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
You mean that isn't young Whill standing next to the Navarone playset? It looks like I've been fooled by the Supreme Chancellor after all. Wink

Oh, lol. You must not have listened to the audio that closely. That was just some dad (a little older than myself) that had gotten this when he was a kid and unlike me, kept it. His son found it in the garage and they got it out and set everything up. Then the dad film his son talking about it and they put the video on YouTube, presumably in recent years. It was a such a blast form the past for me. A nice walk down memory lane. If you were ever into army men, you gotta admit that is pretty cool. Everything was completely 3D except that mat. I have no clue what happened to mine.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the speakers are off on the computer I was viewing it on. Besides we've never seen Palpatine as a child so we don't really know what he looked like then, and we do know in one version of reality he has a younger clone. That kid could be a young clone. Wink
Spartikis
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate adventures are always the most exciting in my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: