The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Space Units???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Space Units??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Space Units??? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how far a space unit is? 100 meters, 1 kilometer, 364.749x10^5 Armlengths??? Confused We have yet to find a reference to the actual scale a unit is?

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a long arguement with my group... And you know what.

We still have no answer.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was afraid I was going to hear. We've been using 1 Kilometer as 1 Unit. Simply because of a passage in the 2nd Edition R&E Handbook, "Starships travel many Km per second" or something like that, I don't have the book here at work with me. Are there any D20 players on the forum that know what D20 uses?

LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using the chart on page 129 (Revised & Expanded). It tells of the ships' speed in an athmosphere:

1 Space = 210 Moves = 600 km/h (at All-Out speed)

I suppose in space, a ship would go faster since there's no planet gravitation like in an atmosphere.

LoneStar (or maybe the same thing?)
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D20, I haven't read anything about a "Space Unit". Distances are calculated by (Hour of Travel X Hyper Drive Speed) for system to system travel, and they have some crapy ship ranges for in system battles or travel (Point Blank, Short, Medium, Long and Sensor Ranges).

So there's no help really in D20. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using 1Km=1Space Unit in my game. It works pretty good.

Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly...does it REALLY matter how long 1 space unit is...
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only ever mattered in my games in relation to guns hitting or firing.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just use space units and forget any other forms...

GM- You're 15 space units away from the space station it's details are coming up on your sensors now

It's frustrating but it means we don't have to figure out a scale
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word, essomian...that's the way i see it. Just use space units as space units. Don't try to convert them into other measurements.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually the whole thing came up along time ago, one of the players asked me, i had no clue, and its been bugging me ever since then. We have had some times when we wanted to know how big a unit was though, mainly for scale, a super star destoryer is 8000 meters long or 8 Km, so it would take up 8 inches on the game board using the 1 Space unit = 1Km/1 Inch ruling.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahl Jynco wrote:
well actually the whole thing came up along time ago, one of the players asked me, i had no clue, and its been bugging me ever since then. We have had some times when we wanted to know how big a unit was though, mainly for scale, a super star destoryer is 8000 meters long or 8 Km, so it would take up 8 inches on the game board using the 1 Space unit = 1Km/1 Inch ruling.

You might be on par if an A-wing can fit inside the bridge of a super star destroyer it might be so large that a slow ship would take several turns to pass an immobile super star destroyer
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: A space Unit = 10,000 km Reply with quote

IN all reality a space unit is actually unmeasuarable in comparison to speeds of ships as they accelerate and acheive their maximum speed in space. A ship can only acheive so much speed that it has evergy to propel its mass to a breaking point..but according to Star Wars 2nd R&E Starships cover THOUSANDS of km a second(pg 116 and 123). I also have the new starships tech quide and calculated how long it would take for them to have their acceleration factors acheive top speed..(Awing like 5100 g's) Top speed according to some sources 180 mglt..I say all out is 240 mglt..the ship has a chance of busting at this speed after prolonged use. After much deliberation and studying I decided that mglt means Mega lights persecond or Mega(Million) meters per second..which translates into a nice fraction of C. 120 mglt = .4c these bench marks come in handy for the sublight bench mark on pg 116 as well. I used the STar Trek tech mumbo jumo to figure out how big our solar system is and all that jazz. so if 120 mglt means 120,000 Km/sec then 12 space units = 120,000 km. I've found out that this works well in a comparison and don't ask me why of star wars too star trek in space travel and combat at sublight velocities. Just my take on things..sorry I don't know how you guys do the quote thing as well.
Ellefsen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a Corillina Corvette (mew) with a standart Turbolaser cannon that have a maximum space range of 75 (space units) can actually shoot 750.000 km in space?
the distance from the moon to earth is 384,400 km (no idear what that is in Miles.)
so according to your calculations a corvette can be shooting a planet 2 times the distance from earth to moon away?..
does that make sence to everyone?
(not for forget that the Tie/in's laser cannons have a maximum space range on 25 (250.000 km.) and a Z-95 headhunter 17)
think your numbers is a bit to big?..
don't know what the rest of you says?!?
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Not at all.. Reply with quote

Not at all..if a starship covers thousands of km per second in space (2nd R&E) and Empire Strikes back(traveled between different star systems with out hyperdrive) = space units then the range of the weapons would come to bare in comparison of movement. Also, if you have ever seen space cowboys the missles were launched towards the moon...energy blasts have much greater ranges and don't have to have an engine to propel them..a beam from a flashlight hits the moon in a little under 2 seconds. Turbolasers and blasters are energy weapons derived from "ancient" lasers. (They use a laser to ignite the blaster gas) Star Wars has advanced technology compared to our day. Also there are multiple examples of holo gram computer terminals in the cockpits and helmets of the pilots making objects appear closer than they really are. When Lucas created Star Wars he wanted to show the upclose dogfights..space battles just don't look cool on screen when you can't see the ships but today we have weapons that fire at targets we can't even see with out advanced sattelites and laserguided targeting (sensors in star wars)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: