The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Space Units???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Space Units??? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sat down with another fellow and tried to hash out the numbers, and keep them semi-accurate to what we've seen in the shows, we came to the conclusion that a space unit was 10 Km.

Now, at that distance, we also came to the conclusion that "Full throttle" in combat conditions was equivalent to the speed listed for the vehicles in the books. Therefore if a craft moved 8, that's what its "full throttle" setting would be in combat, rather than 4 times that amount for "all out" movement (which could be used in regular, high speed flight to get away from an engagement or get to an engagement). The reason being was the amount of distance covered at that speed.

Consider that a round is 6 seconds, and that a vehicle with a speed of 8 can cover 80 kilometers in 6 seconds, or a total of 800 kilometers in 1 minute, it makes it possible for an X-Wing to make attack runs on the Death Star (120 kilometers) without blowing by it in a fraction of a second.

If that's too slow, consider what an all-out move would accomplish. For a move of 8, all-out would be 32. That's 320 Km per round, or 3200 kilometers a minute. At that speed, a fighter could get from Earth to the Moon in a little over two hours. That's quite a bit faster than what it would take our shuttle or rockets to reach the moon.
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too (a long time ago) had sat down to try and figure out what a space unit was as well. I always remember thinking that a vehicle could move four times their unit speed in a round (5 seconds), even for combat. I really wish I could remember the number I had come up with.

Grimace:
I was curious to know how you came to the 10 Km equals one space unit, and where is the 6-second round coming from?

I guess this means I need to sit down and figure this out again. I could even use the "X-Wing Alliance" game as the basis for numbers and timing... Wink
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 6 seconds a round was what the two of us were thinking the time elapse was for a normal round. If it's 5 seconds, it's not overly destabilizing...it just makes the craft a bit faster.

It all came down to one day when I was curious how fast the real, honest-to-god space shuttle travelled while in space. With that craft, which I would consider rather put-put compared to Star Wars, it's speed is 7860 meters a second. So, working from that number, and based on the size of the Death Star, and some other factors (which I can't remember right now) we settled on 10 Km.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
If that's too slow, consider what an all-out move would accomplish. For a move of 8, all-out would be 32. That's 320 Km per round, or 3200 kilometers a minute. At that speed, a fighter could get from Earth to the Moon in a little over two hours. That's quite a bit faster than what it would take our shuttle or rockets to reach the moon.

This is actually in line with the speed at which Dooku's sloop reached the space around the Federation's ships in the orbit of Geonosis, which according to editing of the scene is BEFORE Padme and the Clones reached the Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda. They're not too far into the cliff face, since you can see onscreen the entire distance of the sloop's launch tube. So there weren't any "lost time searching for the fallen Jedi" edited out in any way.

Now that is pretty fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: