The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Seven Forms
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Seven Forms Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, have we satisfied your curiosity with regards to the substance of the seven forms, or are you still looking for something else?
You have spent a lot more time with the Forms than I have. Please take a look at the simul-post above yours and let me know if it seems on target, off target, or what?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
You have spent a lot more time with the Forms than I have. Please take a look at the simul-post above yours and let me know if it seems on target, off target, or what?

Looks good to me. The only things I would suggest adding is the philosophy I mentioned for Form IV, and that, while Forms II through VI are based on Form I, Form VII is actually a superior skill, based on Forms II through V.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Naaman wrote:
I honestly don't see any form 4 in Qui Gon and Obi-Wan... they look like what I would imagine form 1 looking like. I know that the "canon" claims they use form 4, but this is where I'd have to say that whoever decided that hadn't seen episode 2 yet. Yoda's display of form 4 blows completely out of the water the idea that any other character in the movies is a form 4 user. Not because he's the "best" at it, but because he's the only character that actually uses all the jumps and flips and maneuvers that would give any kind of advantage.
I tend to agree that they are not using Form IV - maybe Form V or I suppose Form I. In fact, I would say on film evidence Darth Maul is the closest to Yoda (but not very close)by virtue of the spins, flips, and roundoffs he does in TPM. In the Clone Wars TV series, Asoka Tanu seems like a student of Form IV - though of course not up to Yoda's level.

Actually, the original article that laid out the seven forms was published after E2, and it specified that Obi-wan and Qui-gon were using Form IV. I think the basis of that statement was the frequent use of full spins (a Form IV staple) plus the occasional Force Jump (specifically Obi's finishing move on Maul, but also others). Yoda, on the other hand, as the Order's greatest master, is using the same techniques (spinning, leaping, etc.), but on a level that is an order of magnitude higher than that of Obi-wan and Qui-gon. I haven't seen Form I, but Anakin's Form V doesn't display much in the way of spectacular moves, more of a methodical, unstoppable advance. If Form V is about strength, then that strength needs to stay grounded, because strength is useless without something to push against.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean about the jumps and flips and stuff. And of course, there was no such thing as the 7 forms when episode 1 or 2 were being written, so this is all just "us" trying to categorize something based on our observations.

But I'm not convinced that Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon at any point was "dedicated" to form 4. As I posted above, it seems to me that each form is just a manifestation of different characters emphasizing different aspects of LSC, rather than training in a specific discipline. So, while one character might use flips and spins A LOT because it's what works for their ability set, another might just use them as necessary, since they rely on other options that the lightsaber and the Force provide.

That being said, if form 4 represents dedication to incorporating spins and flips into combat, then I'm not convinced that Qui Gon or Obi Wan is at any time more dedicated to form 4 than any other form. I mean, after all, they did pop a lot of droids by aiming their own shots back at them. But no-one is saying that the are form 5 users.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
But I'm not convinced that Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon at any point was "dedicated" to form 4. As I posted above, it seems to me that each form is just a manifestation of different characters emphasizing different aspects of LSC, rather than training in a specific discipline. So, while one character might use flips and spins A LOT because it's what works for their ability set, another might just use them as necessary, since they rely on other options that the lightsaber and the Force provide.

Well, at some point, we have to rely on sources external to the films for information. For example, if we just relied solely on film evidence, we wouldn't know Tarkin was a Grand Moff (as his only title in the films is "Governor"). If we just relied on the films, we would have no idea that there were Seven Forms at all, just one lightsaber combat that everybody used their own way. Considering that one of the co-authors of the Fightsaber article is a fencer, I just figure he knows what he is talking about, and that his analysis of Obi and Qui's fighting style puts them in the Form IV bracket.

As far as different characters manifesting different aspects of lightsaber combat, that is exactly what the Seven Forms are (IMO), so a character whose fighting style (and by extension, his outlook on the Force) incorporates a lot of mobility and jumps and flips would naturally gravitate towards Form IV because Form IV is best suited to that style. It doesn't mean that other Forms can't use jumps and flips when necessary, merely that Form IV is best suited to utilizing them in combat.

Quote:
That being said, if form 4 represents dedication to incorporating spins and flips into combat, then I'm not convinced that Qui Gon or Obi Wan is at any time more dedicated to form 4 than any other form. I mean, after all, they did pop a lot of droids by aiming their own shots back at them. But no-one is saying that the are form 5 users.

Actually, per Fightsaber, the philosophical perspective of Form IV is recognition of the presence of the Force in all things, including lightsaber combat. As such, the Form IV adept uses the Force to enhance his combat abilities in the form of enhanced speed, jumps, spins and the like. Yoda may be the most graphic example of this Form, but that doesn't mean that every adept has to be as explosive or as powerful as him to be effective.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is something I originally posted in Bren's Yet Another Lightsaber Variant topic, but as I'm progressing with where I want to go with it, it becomes more appropriate to move it over here. I'll explain at the bottom.

In the films, we see special moves in the form of disarms, knockdowns, brawling strikes, and the occasional grapple, so here is a variation on Bren's rules that includes that.

Step 1 = Both sides declare what result they are aiming for. The choices are Normal, Brawling, Disarm, Knockdown, Grapple or Maneuver. If they do not choose, then default to Normal.

Step 2 = Roll for the result on the following table. The first three results are the same as on Bren's result table, but the last four are changed to reflect the result that the duelist declared at the beginning of the round. On a success, the duelist may choose to inflict a lesser result, but is still limited to the Result chart that he declared at the beginning of the round.

0-2 = Bind (Both opponents forfeit any further attacks this round, instead making opposed Strength or Lifting rolls. Loser is forced back as below. If lifting rolls are tied, continue bind next round).
3-6 = Forced Back (Loser must retreat or suffer a -1D penalty the next round)
7-10 = Off Balance (Attacker gains +1D6 bonus to next attack)

Normal Result
11-14 = Glancing Blow (Normal damage w/ max result of Wounded)
15-18 = Solid Blow (Normal damage w/ max result of Incapacitated)
19-22 = Serious Blow (Normal damage w/ max result of Mortally Wounded)
23+ = Deadly Blow (Normal damage w/ max result of Killed)

Brawling Result
11-14 = Glancing Blow (Stun damage w/ Max result of 1 Stun)
15-18 = Solid Blow (Stun damage w/ Max result of 2 Stuns)
19-22 = Serious Blow (Stun damage w/ Max result of 3 Stuns)
23+ = Powerful Blow (Stun damage w/ no result limit)
Note: For the purposes of lightsaber combat, multiple Stunned results stack (i.e. 2 Stunned results equal a -2D penalty), and wear off at a rate of 1D per round.

Disarm Result
11-14 = Simple Disarm (Weapon lost, but can be retrieved with a standard action, with the attendant -1D MAP)
15-18 = Serious Disarm (Weapon lost and flies 1D meters in a random direction. Character incurs a MAP for picking up the weapon, in addition to any MAPs for moving to get to the weapon)
19-22 = Weapon Strike (Weapon struck by opponent and takes normal damage. Loser can choose to downgrade to Serious Disarm on a Lightsaber reaction skill check @ +5 standard difficulty, but weapon lands 2D meters away instead of 1D)
23+ = Weapon Steal (Weapon lost and taken by opponent)

Knockdown Result
11-14 = Shove (Victim is forced back off balance and suffers -2D penalty until the end of the next round)
15-18 = Throw (Victim is knocked prone and must either wait one round to stand or suffer multiple action penalties)
19-22 = Stunning Throw (Victim is knocked prone and takes Stun damage)
23+ = Power Throw (Victim is knocked prone and takes Normal Damage)
Note: While knocked Prone, a character lands 1D meters away in a random direction. Standing up is a standard action, and until they stand, the character is limited to Cautious Movement, suffers a -2D penalty to brawling and melee weapons, and -4D to dodge (but gains a +1D bonus to blasters / firearms).

Grappling Result
11-14 = Weapon Grapple (Opponent's weapon is immobilized, and cannot be used to attack or parry until the grapple is broken. The grappled character cannot move, but may make attacks with his free hand at -1D)
15-18 = Normal Grapple (Opponent is grappled as normal)
19-22 = Power Grapple (Opponent is grappled as normal, but grappler has +1D advantage for the remainder of the grapple)
23+ = Superior Grapple (As above, but grappler has +2D advantage)

Maneuver Result
11-14 = Feint (Opponent is successfully deceived by a false maneuver, and is at -1D for the rest of the round and all of the following round)
15-18 = Sidestep (As Feint, but the duelist is now standing at his opponent's side, and is at -1D+2 for the rest of the round, and -1D for the following round)
19-22 = Pass (As Feint, but the duelist is now behind his opponent, placing the opponent at a serious disadvantage. He fights at -2D unless he makes a standard move action with associated MAPs to turn around and face his opponent).
23+ = Confound (The opponent is so thoroughly confused by the duelist's maneuver that the duelist can make an unopposed strike, with a maximum damage result based on the following table)

23-26 = Wounded
27-30 = Incapacitated
31-34 = Mortally Wounded
35+ = Killed

The way I'm thinking, based on their descriptions, the various Seven Lightsaber Forms will favor one Result choice over the others, or be more vulnerable to some than others. For instance, Form V might favor Knockdowns and Brawling Strikes, while Form II would be particularly resistant to Disarm results and Form IV would be practically addicted to the Maneuver result.

The rules for the result chart itself are not completely ironed out at the moment; I included them more for clarity so that you could see where I'm going with it. I'd like some input as to what result charts favor what Forms, which charts are more or less effective against what Forms, and what results will be common to all Forms. Some of these will be blatantly obvious, and others will require discussion.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to my Form VII write-up, in the ROTS novel, Mace Windu makes the remark that he developed Vaapad, the Form VII evolution, to counteract the darkness in himself. Should I change the rules for Vaapad such that a Vaapad practitioner must have at least 1 DSP? If anything, because of the nature of the Form, the practitioner should actually gain a bonus from his DSPs, which simulates the knife's-edge balance of the form even better in game terms...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've got the other Forms locked in the way I like them, but Form IV is still proving hard to nail down. However, I think I'm on to something. In Fightsaber, the definition of Form IV specifically mentions that the Form takes advantage of a Jedi's ability to use the Force to enhance their physical performance. In RPG terms, the best indicator of a Jedi's ability to enhance his physical prowess is his Control skill. I'm already using the Control roll for bringing up Lightsaber Combat as the basis for a Stamina bonus to all Forms, so what I'm thinking is, for Form IV, the combat bonus will either match the Stamina bonus, or be split equally as a bonus between Lightsaber and a dice pool used with Running and Jumping.

As far as the value of the bonus, I'm split between two ideas; either 1). I want the bonus to match the bonuses of the other Forms, both in the initial values and at the rate of increase per CP expended, or 2). I want Form IV to start off somewhat behind the other Forms but ultimately surpass them, so that it isn't as useful at first, but pays off as a long-term investment. Ultimately, considering that the bonus is linked to the advancement of a regular skill instead of an advanced one (like the other advanced Forms), I will probably end up going with Option 2.

Thoughts?

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, I've got the other Forms locked in the way I like them, but Form IV is still proving hard to nail down. However, I think I'm on to something. In Fightsaber, the definition of Form IV specifically mentions that the Form takes advantage of a Jedi's ability to use the Force to enhance their physical performance. In RPG terms, the best indicator of a Jedi's ability to enhance his physical prowess is his Control skill. I'm already using the Control roll for bringing up Lightsaber Combat as the basis for a Stamina bonus to all Forms, so what I'm thinking is, for Form IV, the combat bonus will either match the Stamina bonus, or be split equally as a bonus between Lightsaber and a dice pool used with Running and Jumping.

As far as the value of the bonus, I'm split between two ideas; either 1). I want the bonus to match the bonuses of the other Forms, both in the initial values and at the rate of increase per CP expended, or 2). I want Form IV to start off somewhat behind the other Forms but ultimately surpass them, so that it isn't as useful at first, but pays off as a long-term investment. Ultimately, considering that the bonus is linked to the advancement of a regular skill instead of an advanced one (like the other advanced Forms), I will probably end up going with Option 2.

Thoughts?

I haven't followed this thread well enough to know how helpful this idea is, but what about a blanket "+ n" bonus to any roll made during the fight?

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I haven't followed this thread well enough to know how helpful this idea is, but what about a blanket "+ n" bonus to any roll made during the fight?

Well, what I've done in summary is to make the basic RAW Lightsaber skill the Form I that all Jedi younglings learn before moving on to more advanced Forms. With my write-ups for all the other Forms, I've given them all bonuses equal to their (A) Form skill dice that can only be used in certain combat situations. This is easy enough for Forms II, III and V, and only a little more challenging for Forms VI and VII, but Form IV has proven difficult, as its description doesn't say that it specializes in any particular combat setting apart from using the Force to enhance mobility in combat. I've played around with 2 or 3 different versions before I came up with this one.

The way I'm leaning is that Form IV would have a bonus that could be applied to any combat situation, as well as to any Running or Jumping rolls made that round, but that bonus would also be 1D-2D lower than the more specialized bonuses of the other Forms. However, because the bonus for Form IV is based on the advancement of a normal skill (standard CP cost) as opposed to the advancement of an advanced skill (double CP cost) that the Form IV combat bonuses will start lower but ultimately surpass the other Forms, if the Form IV adept is willing to persevere in his devotion to his chosen Form. A combat bonus that starts low but increases at a less costly rate (and also provides bonuses to Running and Jumping) could go a long way towards explaining Yoda's explosive combat power when all other Form IV adepts seem to take it in the shorts when faced with a strong opponent.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. That makes sense to me.
On a side note, would you allow mixed forms?

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Okay. That makes sense to me.
On a side note, would you allow mixed forms?

Probably not. For one reason, the source material makes no mention of Jedi being able to mix the forms, and my rule system is pretty complicated as it is. For another, technically, the Jedi already have two advanced "mixed" forms in Forms VI and VII.

EDIT: However, it would be perfectly acceptable for a Jedi to put dice in multiple Forms and then transition between them on a round by round basis.

Also, I think I've come up with a better way to balance out Form VI. My original concept gave the Form VI adept a bonus to Intimidation and Persuasion, but the original description states that Form VI was not as intense as the other Forms, allowing the Jedi to forgo a lot of lightsaber practice so that other studies could be pursued, and those studies would not necessarily be in Persuasion or Intimidation. So here's my idea: All the other Forms have bonuses to specific combat situations, but Form VI's will be different. As the bonus goes up, the Jedi may choose to increase his combat bonus or he may choose to spend that pip to increase one of his other skills by 1 pip. Out of every 1D worth of pips, he must spend at least one pip on another skill, and must leave at least 1 pip as a bonus to lightsaber combat, leaving 1 additional pip that he may spend however he wishes.

The reason I capped the Form VI combat bonus at +2 for every 1D is that the description is quite specific that it is a watered-down blend of all the other Forms. If I gave it the full bonus for all combat situations, it would be a match for Form VII, but without the complication of the Willpower requirement.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are my updated stats for Forms IV and VI. I like the way they look, but I would appreciate perspective from some fresh eyes.

Form IV - Ataru (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 5D
--Brawling 5D
--Dodge 5D
--Running 5D
--Jumping 5D
Note: Must also have the Force ability Enhance Attribute.
-Advantage:
--Ataru has a bonus that is applied to Lightsaber in all combat conditions, as well as to Running and Jumping actions, with some restrictions. The bonus value is based on the adept's Control roll when he brought up Lightsaber Combat (+1D for every 6 points of success). However, the bonus cannot exceed the character's Ataru skill level, and must be distributed between the adept's Lightsaber dice and the Movement bonus (minimum of 1D in each).

Form VI - Niman (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 5D
--Brawling 5D
--Dodge 5D
-Advantage:
--Niman has a total bonus equal to the adept's skill level. However, the bonus is distributed between Lightsaber combat and non-combat skills (For every 3 pips, 1 must be spent on the Lightsaber, 1 must be spent on another skill, and 1 can be spent on either at the adept's discretion). When applying the bonus dice to other skills, the adept may select from the full skill list, including Force skills.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand these ones.

Let's see if I have this right. A character with 3D in Ataru adds 3D to his lightsaber skill at all times. In addition, he may add his control dice (up to 3D) to running and jumping checks or any other rolls used specifically to win the fight. These bonus 3D are a dice pool and may be distributed as the Jedi sees fit, with a minimum of 1D in lightsaber and a minimum of 1D in running... and a minimum of 1D in jumping (?)

What is the "each" in "minimum of 1D in each" referring to?

Are the bonus pips from form 6 modular, or do they stick once you've assigned them (for example, during character advancement, when you spend character points to advance form 6, do the pips you buy get assigned permanently to other skills instead)?

In my version of form 6 (and I'm using different mechanics than you are to express the "advancedness" of the forms, so take what you like from this, toss what you can't use) I did it like this:

Prereqs: 4D Lightsaber, 5D persuasion, 5D command, 5D intimidation; must know the affect mind force power.

Adds form 6 dice to lightsaber skill. In addition, each die gained allows the advancement of one of the following skills by a single pip: any Knowledge skill, or bargain, command, con, investigation, persuasion. In addition, for each die in form 6, the Jedi counts as being one step closer to his target when using any force power that is modified by relationship. An acquaintance counts as a friend, for example.

I do, however, like the idea that a form 6 user could use the time he saves to advance any discipline, rather than just social/political pursuits. So he could be a fighter pilot, or a doctor/healer, or a "Jedi scholar" or whatever. Of course the trade off is that the advancement of form 6 costs twice as much as regular lightsaber yet provides no additional bonus/technique to improve the character's combat prowess (he will slightly lag behind a form 1 user in terms of overall potential, but will have a wider breadth of knowledge).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm not sure I understand these ones.

Let's see if I have this right. A character with 3D in Ataru adds 3D to his lightsaber skill at all times.

Correct.

Quote:
In addition, he may add his control dice (up to 3D) to running and jumping checks or any other rolls used specifically to win the fight. These bonus 3D are a dice pool and may be distributed as the Jedi sees fit, with a minimum of 1D in lightsaber and a minimum of 1D in running... and a minimum of 1D in jumping (?)

Not his Control Dice. When the Jedi brings up Lightsaber Combat, he rolls his Control skill against a Moderate Difficulty to bring the power up. Say a character has 6D Lightsaber, 3D Form IV and 6D Control. When he brings up LSC, he rolls the 6D, trying to beat a 15. He gets a 22, so he beats a 15 by 7 points and gets a bonus of 1D. If he had a higher Control skill, and managed to roll high enough to get a 4D bonus, the bonus would be capped at 3D because that's what his Form IV skill level is at.

This highlights a complication that I didn't consider, in that having the character then be forced to use his Control-based bonus as a dice pool between Lightsaber and Movement rolls overly dilutes the effectiveness of the bonus. I like the idea of having Form IV's bonus based on the Control roll, since that is what the original description of Form IV specifies, but obviously it needs some tweaking. Perhaps it would be better to have a flat bonus applied to Lightsaber and Movement rolls equally, and not be treated as a dice pool.

I could also conceivably shift the bonus a bit more (down to +1D for every 4 points of success on the Control roll), or just break it down to pips instead of dice (+1 for every 2 points of success). The idea I have going here is that Form IV will have a much steeper learning curve at the beginning for those who are trying to learn it, but it will pay off in the long run with massive bonuses that are useful in pretty much any combat situation (if the character is willing to stick it out long enough to get to that point). A Form IV adept under these rules would be well advised to put a lot of CPs into his Control dice, not just Lightsaber and Form IV.

Quote:
What is the "each" in "minimum of 1D in each" referring to?

Are the bonus pips from form 6 modular, or do they stick once you've assigned them (for example, during character advancement, when you spend character points to advance form 6, do the pips you buy get assigned permanently to other skills instead)?

The idea I was working with was that the bonus dice earned from the Control roll would be treated as a dice pool split between Lightsaber and Running / Jumping, with the requirement that the dice pool put a minimum of 1D in either category. Apart from that, the bonuses would've been modular, with the adept able to declare what share of the bonus he wanted to use for each skill at the beginning of the round. I'm pretty sure that I'm dropping that at this point, so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
I do, however, like the idea that a form 6 user could use the time he saves to advance any discipline, rather than just social/political pursuits. So he could be a fighter pilot, or a doctor/healer, or a "Jedi scholar" or whatever. Of course the trade off is that the advancement of form 6 costs twice as much as regular lightsaber yet provides no additional bonus/technique to improve the character's combat prowess (he will slightly lag behind a form 1 user in terms of overall potential, but will have a wider breadth of knowledge).

That was the direction I went, but I also included the idea that a Form VI adept could devote 2 pips out of every 3 to his Lightsaber bonus. That way, the adept could still become relatively proficient in Lightsaber combat with Form VI, but the watered-down nature of the Form itself prevents him from being truly competitive with the other advanced Forms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: