The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Seven Forms
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Seven Forms Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I'm liking your form 4 a lot more, now. I feel that the control skill is absolutely crucial to form 4 (as Yoda makes evident in the films), and your interpretation paints that picture clearly for me.

I also totally love your idea for form 6 and I'm going to change mine, now!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Okay... I'm liking your form 4 a lot more, now. I feel that the control skill is absolutely crucial to form 4 (as Yoda makes evident in the films), and your interpretation paints that picture clearly for me.

I also totally love your idea for form 6 and I'm going to change mine, now!

Glad I could help. Form IV isn't completely locked in yet, but that's more a matter of making the numbers balance than anything else.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I have it locked in how I want it. Here is my version of the Seven Lightsaber Forms, plus Enhanced Form VII - Vaapad.

Form I - Shii-Cho (Basic Lightsaber Skill)
Stamina Modifier: +2 attack/+1 defense

(A) Form II - Makashi
Prerequisites:
Lightsaber 6D
Brawling 6D
Dodge 5D
Advantage: Bonus equal to character's Form II skill dice is applied to lightsaber vs. lightsaber or brawling combat.
Stamina Modifier: +1 attack/+0 defense

(A) Form III - Soresu
Prerequisites:
Lightsaber 6D
Brawling 5D
Dodge 6D
Advantage: Bonus equal to character's Form III skill dice is applied to defensive actions with all prerequisite skills.
Stamina Modifier: +1 attack/+0 defense

(A) Form IV - Ataru
Prerequisites:
Lightsaber 5D
Brawling 5D
Dodge 5D
Running 5D
Jumping 5D
Control 6D
Note: Must also have the Force ability Enhance Attribute.
Advantage: Ataru has a bonus that is applied to Lightsaber in all combat conditions, as well as to Running and Jumping Move actions. The bonus value is based on the adept's Control roll when he brought up Lightsaber Combat (+1 for every point of success, converted to +1D for every 3 points of success). However, the bonus cannot exceed the character's Ataru skill level.
Stamina Modifier: +3 attack/+2 defense

(A) Form V - Djem So
Prerequisites:
Lightsaber 6D
Brawling 6D
Dodge 5D
Note: Must also have a minimum Strength of 3D.
Advantage: Bonus equal to character's Form V skill dice is applied to Lightsaber and Brawling when attacking or when parrying blaster bolts back at an attacker. In addition, when on attack, Form V adds a +2 modifier to an opponent's Stamina modifier

(A) Form VI - Niman
Prerequisites:
Lightsaber 5D
Brawling 5D
Dodge 5D
Advantage: Niman has a total bonus equal to the adept's skill level. However, the bonus is distributed between Lightsaber combat and non-combat skills (For every 3 pips, 1 must be spent on the Lightsaber, 1 must be spent on another skill, and 1 can be spent on either at the adept's discretion).

(A) Form VII - Juyo
Prerequisites:
Lightsaber 6D
Brawling 6D
Dodge 5D
Willpower 7D
Note: Must also have a minimum of 2D in Forms II, III, IV and V.
Advantage: Bonus equal to the character's Form VII skill is applied to Lightsaber and Brawling in all situations. In addition, when on attack, Form VII adds a +1 modifier to an opponent's Stamina modifier.
Complication: Every round of combat with Form VII, the character must make a Willpower check against the character's Form VII roll that round (+5 for each of the character's DSPs). On a failure, the character temporarily gives in to the Dark Side. If he kills or wounds his opponent in that round, he earns a DSP. If he does not, roll again as normal the next round (at +5 difficulty).

(A) Form VII (Enhanced) - Vaapad
Prerequisites:
(A)Form VII - Juyo 4D
Willpower 9D
Note: Unlike Juyo, Vaapad can only be learned by characters who have or have had at least 1 DSP.
Advantage: As Juyo, plus the practitioner receives a +1 bonus for each of his DSPs and for each of his opponent's DSPs. The practitioner must take the bonus from his own DSPs, but may choose to take either all or a portion of his opponent's DSPs as a bonus, as that number affects the complications below).
Complication: As Juyo, but Willpower Difficulty increases by +1 for each of his opponent's DSPs that he uses to enhance his own skill

Note: The Stamina Modifier is for a house rule that I use where the duelist has to roll Stamina for every round of combat, with the difficulty increasing per round by the number listed, depending on whether the character was attacking or defending. If either duelist fails the Stamina roll, they must make a Willpower roll (as described under the Willpower and Stamina skills) or take an automatic Stun result.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick suggestion:

Couldn't you just have both players roll stamina at the beginning of the combat, and play until one player reaches the difficulty for what he rolled?

For example, each player rolls stamina. The PC rolls stamina at the beginning, getting a 23. The NPC rolls and gets a 19. During the ensuing combat, the round by round stamina difficulty continues to increase. When the total reaches 19, the NPC rolls willpower (as you mentioned) to determine if he can keep on fighting. His willpower roll will carry him to the next interval (let's say it ties him with the PC at the 23 point). At that point, the NPC must make a successively more difficult willpower roll, while the PC makes his first willpower roll.

This is somewhat realistic in that an individual can tell when he is getting tired, and how long a person lasts in a fight is not as random as needing to roll every round.

I would personally be inclined to say that no actual roll is required (in the context of a fight) and that the player can last a number of rounds/minutes or whatever based on the number of dice he has in Stamina (1 round per die or 1 round per pip or some such). After that, he is required to roll at a given interval to avoid fatigue penalties. The "remove fatigue" force power can make this irrelevant, of course.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Couldn't you just have both players roll stamina at the beginning of the combat, and play until one player reaches the difficulty for what he rolled?
I like this idea because it requires less die rolling and because of this -
Quote:
This is somewhat realistic in that an individual can tell when he is getting tired, and how long a person lasts in a fight is not as random as needing to roll every round.

Quote:
I would personally be inclined to say that no actual roll is required (in the context of a fight) and that the player can last a number of rounds/minutes or whatever based on the number of dice he has in Stamina ...
I don't like this as well as it would be more difficult to differentiate between high (Ataru), mid (most forms), and low (Makashi & Soresu) fatigue generating forms.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I don't like this as well as it would be more difficult to differentiate between high (Ataru), mid (most forms), and low (Makashi & Soresu) fatigue generating forms.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a good way to express this particular mechanic for different forms requiring different amounts of exertion... Although you could use it by simply saying that using a particular form imposes a penalty on your stamina for these purposes... Such as using ataru treats your stamina as if it were 2D lower, while medium forms have a -1D penalty and low exertion forms have no penalty.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
A quick suggestion:

I haven't finalized the exact method for the Stamina roll, but that comes very close to an idea that is my current frontrunner. I do like the idea of Stamina and fatigue hanging over the character's head as the duel progresses, and IMO, the best way to do that is the roll as a constant reminder at the end of every round. The primary result I am looking for from the roll is not that the player suddenly reaches the end of his endurance, but that his fatigue is slowly building and building until the point where it causes him to lose focus for a moment and make a mistake: a mistake that his opponent can capitalize on (which is how a lot of drawn-out duels end; one duelist makes a critical mistake).

Here's what I'm thinking for the Stamina rule:

1). As part of the initial rolls for the duel, each duelist rolls his Stamina (plus a bonus based on the Control roll for bringing up LSC) to generate a baseline number.

2). As combat progresses, the players and the GM track each character's Stamina difficulty total as it increases, but does not actually roll for a Stamina check until the Stamina difficulty matches or exceeds the baseline number.

3). Once the Stamina difficulty baseline has been exceeded by the actual Difficulty number, the character is required to make a Stamina roll every round, with difficulty increasing as normal. If either character fails the Stamina roll, they must make an immediate Willpower check (as per the rules for the Stamina skill) or suffer an immediate Stun result.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="crmcneill"]. I do like the idea of Stamina and fatigue hanging over the character's head as the duel progresses, and IMO, the best way to do that is the roll as a constant reminder at the end of every round. [quote]

Well, IMO you could ditch the roll every round and just accumulate a "stamina Difficulty" (or better yet Fatgue Level). When the accumulated total reaches the number previously rolled, the peanlties set in.

THis would still give you fatigue hangingover your head.In fact,mores so that the constant die roll. since with constant rolls, you can dodge the bullet for a while with good rolling. With one roll at the start, fatique would be inevitable, and combatnats would be constatly aware of where they stand, and it could affect how they act. Somebody might get agressive to try and end the duel before the peanlty kicskin, or maybe hang back a bit, and not attack in order to get some fatigue poins back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: