The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Actions per round
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Actions per round Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Actions per round Reply with quote

Does anyone actually have there players name all their actions at once the way the books say todo it,
Example...
Bill "My rebel trooper is going to shoot at the stormtrooper, then duck behind cover then shoot again."
GM "Ok, well thats 3 actions so -2D"
My group just goes one action at a time, 1st action no penalty, 2nd action -1D, 3rd action -2d ect...
I never saw how you could name all the actions at once when you don't even know what everyone is going todo.

Question So what does everyone else do Question

Arrow All actions named at one time.
or
Arrow One action at a time.

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group declairs what action we're taking first, then declair how many actions we're taking after the first, to find out how many dice to remove.

We don't *HAVE* to declair what we do with the other actions, but it's traditional for us to do so.

Also, typically, whenever we perform three actions, we almost always say something like: "And a Fourth Action to later be named, as I'm getting a -2D anyhow.", as One Action=No Pen. Two Actions=-1D. Three/Four Actions=-2D.

You're already jerking the trigger as fast as possible, might as well pull it one more time. Smile
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we announce all actions we plan on doing during that round, and the GM also says what the NPC's are doing as well.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our GM makes us declare all actions otherwise he won't let us do them until the next round.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All actions except reaction skills, must be declared at the beginning of the turn in my games as GM, and with my M.O.G

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like it if we could do it that way, and maybe someday we will but there is always this problem of characters killing other characters, so listing all action ahead of time is tricky.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't list ALL your actions ahead of time, you just tell your actions for the round so you can take the multiple action penalty.

I wanna do this,this, and this.
Not this is everything I wanna do for the next 5 minutes.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I started out on D&D then SWD6, then Rifts. I have always found it is easier to just take one action, next person takes one, and so on. Although we do get a break due to the fist action not being penalized a die. It has worked so far.

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. We follow the guideline of the RPG book. We find it works well.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have initiative, right?

Well, in order to see what people do, you go by fastest to slowest as far as order of dice rolling. BUT, when declaring actions, slowest people declare first, because faster people will see what the slower people are doing and adjust their actions accordingly.

Case in point. Han Solo is walking across the street to a cantina, and 2 bounty hunters jump out from behind a waste bin and start to draw their guns.

Han gets the highest initiative.
Disrupter Bounty-hunter rolls very poorly
Stun baton bounty hunter steps into melee range and is quicker (though not nearly as fast as Han)

Because Han sees the disrupter (horrifically effective weapon though it is), but knows that the stun baton guy would close first, so he blasts the melee guy at near point blank range and has enough "juice" left over to shoot the other guy.

Now, if Han just shot at the biggest threat without checking initiative (a disrutper over a non-lethal melee weapon), he might get the first guy, but he would have trouble with the melee hunter in such close proximity.

Admittedly, with Han's Heavy Blaster specialization either guy would be vaped, but you get the point.

Die penalties, initiative... they both make for a realistic, yet cinematic and fast-paced game (WEG are geniuses, no?) Smile
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I played a game with the players telling how many action they want to take, and have the dice subtracted accordingly. They just like the book says we went action by action, and it was freaking lucky for the Jedi in a Duel when he had wanted a third action. He was able to deal with the thermal Detonator instead of the planned attack against the droids with guns again for the second round.

This way does work in favor of players....sometimes...
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the nature of luck. Sometimes it favors one side, sometimes the other. Which means it favors those of us who are also GameMasters.

You declare all of your actions and if you need to change your action then all you must do is take the penalty and go for it.

Of course, this affects chars with higher skill abilities less than newer characters.
garbage
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.
first i think what the npc do, then the players say their actions, then we roll the initiativ and play them out.
however, IF a npc or a player doubles the score of the other players\npc he can do 2 actions before the others.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a reply for what Ray wrote a few messages above. You said that your group would call a fourth action, since they were already getting a -2D penalty for 3 actions. Now, this is wrong, rules-wise. Four actions take a -3D penalty, not -2D. The rules state that you get -1D for each action past the first. So it would be: 1 action=no penalty, 2 actions=-1D, 3 actions=-2D, 4 actions=-3D, 5 actions=-4D, an so on...

Now, my friends and I are starting a Jedi compaign, and we never dealt much with jedis before. What's puzzling me is the multiple action penalties for using force skills. The rules state that using force skills count as actions, for purpose of multiple action penalties. Now, it seems to me tht this makes force powers quite innefective. Using a force power that uses the 3 skills, would already leave you with -3D do do anything else, and we know that this means you simply can't do anything. And then there are powers like Enhance Attribute, that will give you a +1D bonus, but since you are rolling Control, you get a -1D penalty, so the power does effectively nothing.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Now, my friends and I are starting a Jedi compaign, and we never dealt much with jedis before. What's puzzling me is the multiple action penalties for using force skills. The rules state that using force skills count as actions, for purpose of multiple action penalties. Now, it seems to me tht this makes force powers quite innefective. Using a force power that uses the 3 skills, would already leave you with -3D do do anything else, and we know that this means you simply can't do anything. And then there are powers like Enhance Attribute, that will give you a +1D bonus, but since you are rolling Control, you get a -1D penalty, so the power does effectively nothing.

The books do say though with Jedi powers you can raise them one skill at a time to avoid any multiple action penalties. Such a light saber combat, you can raise then Control in the first round, sense in the second and only have a - 2D penalty for having keeping the force skill raised as you attack in round 3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: