The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Abstraction of enemy position in relation to fire Arcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Abstraction of enemy position in relation to fire Arcs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Abstraction of enemy position in relation to fire Arcs Reply with quote

I was curious how people handled shields and fire arcs without using miniatures? I had come up with a rule to figure out where an enemy was based on fire arc position of a target's shields without getting too in depth on combat and movement. We haven't play-tested it yet, but the opportunity should be presenting itself rather shortly.

I was thinking that on the attacker's turn both combatant's would roll piloting + maneuverability + their ship's space movement in pips and the higher roll would determine the attacking ships firing arc on the target after shield placement.

The cons would be that this will require an extra roll in combat and may slow play a bit but this shouldn't affect our play much as we don't really do much in the way of space battles. The characters have a custom tramp freighter and generally "gun then run" when it comes to imperial entanglements. I might even go far as to say half of them are cowards but they would say they excel at descretion in the area of valor. I don't recall Race Sandsworn, the smuggler, making a single attack roll as his pilot-operated weapons are all forward fire arc only, if you catch my drift.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to do more hand-waving (literally) to describe how the starfighters maneuver rather than using detailed miniature movement. Sometimes what you have is a simple stern chase situation. That's easy since the fire arcs are simple: forward for chaser, stern for the chased. Other times we will draw little diagrams to illustrate starting positions, direction, and movement. Rarely we use the paper and cardboard cutouts or miniatures.

Often we just did the hand waving thing along with opposed manuevering rolls. We have used a simple manuever chart something like (but not exactly) this:
    Beat opponent's maneuver by
    0-4 ......... still maneuvering for a shot
    5-8 ......... head to head shot
    9-12 ....... flank shot
    13+ ........ tail position
The tail position gave a bonus to gunnery. I think we considered it a good advantage so it was maybe +10.
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the maneuvering roll, do you use that more for head to head combat since you are predetermining your chase arcs?

And if you aren't figuring fire arcs for chases and just using forward and rear, which does make sense for simplification, do you still give the chaser the +10 bonus on attacks? Because it wouldn't seem to make sense to give the bonus for general combat but not chases.

For our chases, I've started some work on converting the Spycraft mechanism over to d6. It seems like it has a great cinematic feel to it, and (more in the case of ground chases) gives a great way to abstract terrain and floorplans so you don't have to know exactly what's in an area for the chase to occur.

"Nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot."
-Turk (De Niro) Righteous Kill
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law wrote:
So with the maneuvering roll, do you use that more for head to head combat since you are predetermining your chase arcs?
Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify. I was describing two different cases. (1) If it is a chase, you don't need to roll to determine fire arcs. The chase situation does that. And yes, the chaser would have an advantage for being on their opponent's six or stern.

(2) We roll the opposed manuevers for dogfighting, not chases. A chase could turn into a dogfight if the pursued turns on their pursuer. Then you could roll opposed manuevers to figure out who ends up with the advantage.
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Law wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify. I was describing two different cases. (1) If it is a chase, you don't need to roll to determine fire arcs. The chase situation does that. And yes, the chaser would have an advantage for being on their opponent's six or stern.

(2) We roll the opposed manuevers for dogfighting, not chases. A chase could turn into a dogfight if the pursued turns on their pursuer. Then you could roll opposed manuevers to figure out who ends up with the advantage.

Thanks, that was my initial assumption.

"Nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot."
-Turk (De Niro) Righteous Kill
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just go with descriptions and the maneuvering rolls.. Better one has arc!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: