The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabers vs. Melee Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabers vs. Melee Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Maybe the weapon's body strength should be based on the damage it inflicts. For example, if a weapon inflicts Strength+3D damage, then its body strength would be 3D. It might need some modifiers for powered weapons like vibroblades, but it's as good a criteria as any...

Nah. Generally shorter weapons tend to be harder to break than longer ones. The length of the weapon acts as a fulcrum. Hence it is easier to break a longer sword of the same mass.

I'd say go with something like the mass or mass/length to get a STR rating.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Nah. Generally shorter weapons tend to be harder to break than longer ones. The length of the weapon acts as a fulcrum. Hence it is easier to break a longer sword of the same mass.
Good point, but since it is a fulcrum, it depends where you hit it. If close to the fulcrum the larger weapon should be no harder to break. This is interesting and I am hoping Esoomian moves this over to a new thread.

It's already Saturday morning in Auckland, isn't he awake yet? Razz
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Good point, but since it is a fulcrum, it depends where you hit it. If close to the fulcrum the larger weapon should be no harder to break.[/quote]

You mean easier. And technically it still would be, since it has to support the weight of the rest of weapon. So it is already under a strain.

But to simply things, I'd say mass is more important than the damage stat.

I7ve got a method, but I7d like to table up a bunch of melee weapons and see how it looks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: