The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Weapon strengths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Weapon strengths
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Weapon strengths Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
This is interesting and I am hoping Esoomian moves this over to a new thread.

It's already Saturday morning in Auckland, isn't he awake yet? Razz

OK it's 6:30am Saturday morning and here is the new thread Razz

I have long been unsatisfied with the idea that all weapons have a body rating of 2D regardless of what sort of weapon they are. For my own edification I came up with the following formula do determine a weapon's body strength. It is by no means perfect and their are many factors that have not been considered.

Let me know what you think of the formula and what could be done to improve it.

Quote:
Powered melee weapons that rely on finesse have a body strength equal to half their damage so a vibro rapier that does strength +3D damage would have a body strength of 1D+2 (rounding up)

Powered melee weapons have a body strength equal to three quarters of their damage so a vibro blade that does strength +3D damage would have a body strength of 2D

Unpowered melee weapons that cut or stab have a body strength equal to their damage so an axe that does strength +2D damage would have a body strength of 2D

Unpowered melee weapons that bludgen and bash have a body strength equal to one and a half times their damage damage so a warhammer that does strength +2D damage would have a body strength of 3D

If the weapon's history is known and it is well made (say the PC made the weapon personally and got a really good roll when they did) it might also have a bonus to it's body rating.

Given that there are powered melee weapons that bludgen I'm considering making those weapons have a body strength equal to 1.5 times their damage and letting the crude bludgening wepons have a body strength of a massive 2x their damage.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Esoomian. Sorry to wake you up down there. Wink

Overall I like this idea. I think that 'finesse' weapons like rapiers should be a bit easier to break than broadswords and I think that powered weapons are likely easier to damage than unpowered weapons.

I'm not convinced about the relative strengths of bludgeoning vs cutting weapons. The distinction feels very hypothetical to me and is reminding me (and not in a good way) of the Runequest changes in weapon body points between RQII and RQIII. Also, thinking of two weapon like tools in my garage - the wood axe and the sledge hammer - those two seem like they have about the same haft/handle and would be equally breakable.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Weapon strengths Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

Given that there are powered melee weapons that bludgen I'm considering making those weapons have a body strength equal to 1.5 times their damage and letting the crude bludgening wepons have a body strength of a massive 2x their damage.

I agree. My brother and I recently made what could be used as a crude bludgeoning weapon in the form of a hammer with a 10lb head and a 20" handle. Even though the handle is only wood I think any blow that would do more than cosmetic damage to it would kill or maim me, and I'm pretty durable.

Complete Starship Construction System
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Weapon strengths Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Thanks for posting Esoomian. Sorry to wake you up down there. Wink

I'm not convinced about the relative strengths of bludgeoning vs cutting weapons. The distinction feels very hypothetical to me and is reminding me (and not in a good way) of the Runequest changes in weapon body points between RQII and RQIII. Also, thinking of two weapon like tools in my garage - the wood axe and the sledge hammer - those two seem like they have about the same haft/handle and would be equally breakable.

Fallon Kell wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

I agree. My brother and I recently made what could be used as a crude bludgeoning weapon in the form of a hammer with a 10lb head and a 20" handle. Even though the handle is only wood I think any blow that would do more than cosmetic damage to it would kill or maim me, and I'm pretty durable.

No problems I wake up early. I'll admit my viewpoint is based on any real scientific evidence I just imagine a weapon that has to use weight rather than a cutting edge to do damage has to be more resilient as it will be heavier and as it's damage is based on weight more than a shaped edge it should be more able to take damage without a significant reduction in performance.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg has offered (threaten? Wink ) to create a list of weapons with body strength based on his few of the issue. I think comparing POVs between what you have proposed and what he comes up with would be helpful. Overall my goal is to have something a bit more nuanced than the RAW without going overboard on detail or creating something far too crunchy compared to the rest of the system.

If I had to come up with detailed values I would probably default to the relative armor points of Runequest weapons for two reasons (1) I own a copy of and am still moderately familiar with the rules and (2) weapon breakage and relative armor points is an important and central feature in the RQ combat system as compared with many other combat systems where it is less important (like the SWRPG) or even absent - so I can infer that the designers spent some time thinking about getting this issue right.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the body being different based on type of weapon (powered, blunt vs slashing etc).. but i would also like a listing to poss include other metals used (or materials)...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it could easily spiral out of control and I'm not looking for a system that has every single weapon with a different body strength because of the nuances of construction.

I based my system on damage as that (to me) is an easy indicater of weight, particularly in bludgening weapons. I've only seen an Esoomian War Hammer listed online once and it had Strength + 3D as it's damage. For a simple bludgening weapon to have such a high damage rating I imagined it would have to be unbelievibly massive and therefore should be fairly resilient, not to mention it is designed to be weilded by Esoomians which can have up to 7D in strength.

That's when i started thinking that a 2D body strength is perhaps not appropriate for all weapons.

garhkal wrote:
I could see the body being different based on type of weapon (powered, blunt vs slashing etc).. but i would also like a listing to poss include other metals used (or materials)...

Again this should make a diference but I'd only bother worrying about it for weapons that actually have their own backstory. Not every thug is going to have a Phrink dagger.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg has offered (threaten? Wink ) to create a list of weapons with body strength based on his few of the issue. I think comparing POVs between what you have proposed and what he comes up with would be helpful.

Very Happy

I wasN7t really planning on going that far, but now you convinced me.
With my luck, I7d end up with the same values at for times the work!

Quote:

If I had to come up with detailed values I would probably default to the relative armor points of Runequest weapons

Hmm. that give me and idea. EABA uses stats very similar to Star Wars. And it has simple rules for working out armor and hit points for equipment. It is probably adaptable to D6.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't familiar with that RPG. It took me a quick trip to Google to realize EABA wan't the English Amateur Billiards Association. Wink After all, given English behavior at football/soccer matches as a guide, having a system for knowing whether a swing with a billiards stick is likely to shatter a half-empty pint bottle of ale or not might come in handy in between playing billiards. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: