The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor and Protection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor and Protection Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Armor and Protection Reply with quote

Recently an idea I was playing around was removing D's from armor bonuses and instead replacing them with numbers.

So say 1D of protection would give 5 protection(Random numbers off the top of my head). And what the protection would do is automatically minus 5 from the opponent's damage roll. After which the character would then roll strength normally for the rest.

It is a basic idea, and something I was playing around with more in the ideas of a medieval or fantasy D6... But at the same time I wanted to try it out with star wars.

Any thoughts?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Armor and Protection Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
Any thoughts?
If the average points come out around the average roll, it seems a bit of six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. However 5pts is a lot better than the expected value for 1D6.

What are you seeing as the main advantage to swapping a number for a die?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of taking the armor dice off the damage dice, before they were rolled. For example, if a character shoots a stormtrooper, he'd subtract the 1D from his blaster's damage roll.

This would have a similar effect to a fixed number, but might be a bit simpler.

IF you tired this with scaling, the tanks would be a bit tougher.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the randomness of a #D value in the RAW does a good job reflecting the fact that no suit of armor is fool-proof; they all have weak spots or places they don't cover, so getting hit in one of those spots at random is a good indicator of a low dice roll on that extra #D value for armor.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I think the randomness of a #D value in the RAW does a good job reflecting the fact that no suit of armor is fool-proof; they all have weak spots or places they don't cover...
and a low armor dice roll nicely simulates a shot that hits a weak spot, like the unprotected joints in a stormtroopers armor.

Good point.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I think the randomness of a #D value in the RAW does a good job reflecting the fact that no suit of armor is fool-proof; they all have weak spots or places they don't cover, so getting hit in one of those spots at random is a good indicator of a low dice roll on that extra #D value for armor.

I don't.

The RAW already has two variablesin the damage assessment. The damage code and the STR roll. So you get that partial protection thing even without armor being a variable. So a fixed value (or removinbgdice from the damge) works fine and doesn't stop armor from being only partially effective.

What I don't like about the RAW is that, with vehicles, the randomness can result in some wacky results. An AT-AT should bevirtually impossible to destroy with a blaster rifle.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
What I don't like about the RAW is that, with vehicles, the randomness can result in some wacky results. An AT-AT should bevirtually impossible to destroy with a blaster rifle.
I think an AT-ST should be virtually impossible to significantly damage with a blaster rifle. I think an AT-AT should be impossible to significantly damge with a blaster rifle. I'm starting to think the die Cap system of 2E did a better job of reflecting virtually impossible and impossible than the +-Dice system of 2RE.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor and Protection Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Lowering the number of die rolls during the game. I did that with all bonuses from items, armors, hull, shields and so on. Less die rolling means more gaming. My group of gamers prefers that way.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once was trying to come up with a rule that if a weapon didnt match a certain damage criteria, the damage would be stopped with no dice rolled at all.

For example, a Bounty Hunter armour might automatically stop attacks up to damage 4D. A Blast Vest 3D, and so on. If the damage is over the threshhold the damage is resolved as normal.

This was to give low STR characters wearing heavy armour a break as the rules favoured hight STR characters so much. For example, a 2D STR character with bounty hunter (ie heavy armour). armour rolls 3D to resist, while a big unarmoured thug rolls 4D. However I look at it, this seems wrong.

Never came up with a streamlined set of rules though.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor and Protection Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
Bren wrote:

Lowering the number of die rolls during the game. I did that with all bonuses from items, armors, hull, shields and so on. Less die rolling means more gaming. My group of gamers prefers that way.
But it doesn't reduce the number of die rolls. It lowers the number of dice rolled for any given die roll. Personally, I don't find the addition of another die or two to a given roll makes any difference in the time taken compared to having to add a +3 or a +7 to the dice total.

Quote:
...a 2D STR character with bounty hunter (ie heavy armour). armour rolls 3D to resist, while a big unarmoured thug rolls 4D. However I look at it, this seems wrong.
Yes, that is a poor feature of D6. Armor in Runequest works exactly like what you want, but combat is more time consuming to run and a lot more 'realistic' than 'cinematic' in style. D6 STR and armor seems to work more like superheroes in a comic book. High STR characters just shrug off blasters and grenades when in armor and take picturesque flesh wounds when not in armor.

Making the armor stop weapons up to a certain damage could work, but you would then need to include a way to shoot at the vulnerable areas and so avoid the armor. I guess you could use called shots for that.

Possibly a set threshold of protection, rather than a number of dice would work better. That way there would still be a chance that a blaster pistol or blaster rifle may (or may not) penetrate. Something like bounty hunter armor stops any hit on the armor that does 20 points or less. That will almost always stop a 3D or 4D blaster and will often stop a 5D blaster. But will usually not fully stop a 6D blaster. If the weapon is not stopped, reduce the damage x points (say 3 for 1D bounty hunter armor) and apply the damage against STR. That way a Wookiee in armor gets some benefit from armor (some shots stopped by armor, others reduced in damage before his STR roll) and a Wiimpy 2D STR guy gets the same benefit, but for him the auto stopping of 20 point hits is greatly in his favor. If you did that, I would probably add a knockdown affect so that the damage might have a chance to knock down even if it doesn't penetrate.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the scale thing, i do that as is.
EG enemy cap ship is shooting pc freighter. BY the rules the pc's would add 6d to their dodge roll. I give them the choice of doing that OR going with the enemy's to hit being 6d less. This way if that cap ship is also shooting them with SF scale weaponry, they have only 1 dodge roll to worry about.

Same applies to damages. EG walker (5d+1 lets say) shoots at a fighter that just whizzed past. The walker can choose to go with just rolling 3d+1 against the (lets say) 4d hull of the fighter, OR can do the normal 5d+1 against the hull + scale.

So i can see having it where armor just takes a flat D for D off damage, leaving what's left to go against strength.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I forgot to say the advantage. As I said, I was actually designing this more for a medieval, fantasy setting and I was trying to work out different kind of armor. Like Steel Platemail, opposed to Iron Platemail, to just straight plate armor, scale, ring, ect, ect

With just adding values (5, 10, 12) what have you, it is just an easier way for me to know how good a certain armor is and set a standard. Especially if I throw in three different damage types. (Physical, Blunt, Piece) Or something like that.

Then I started to look at it from a star wars standpoint, and thus lead me to post.

I like the idea of a threshold of protection, with what you are saying Bren. It is easier to work with certain numbers that I am familiar with. (Like I know how 2D of physical protection works. I don't know how -5 works) Explain the reduction of damage points for me again, if you could. Say if it didn't miss, it'd just minus a set number from the roll? Or...?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
I think an AT-ST should be virtually impossible to significantly damage with a blaster rifle. I think an AT-AT should be impossible to significantly damge with a blaster rifle..

Notice what would happen if you took the scale dice of the damage dice of the attack. A blaster rifle would be doing 1D vs. the 3D of the AT-ST and the 6D of the AT-AT. That just about matches up with the results you want.

Lowiong the damage dice is much more effective that raising the soak dice, since the fewer dice mean a lower spread on the damage roll. At 1D, 83% of the rifle7s shots will do 5 points or less and easily be soaked by the walkers. To actually damage an AT-AT would require some luck on the wild die, and a really horrible soak roll. Even then the result would probably be "shields blown/controls ionized".
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
I like the idea of a threshold of protection, with what you are saying Bren. It is easier to work with certain numbers that I am familiar with. (Like I know how 2D of physical protection works. I don't know how -5 works) Explain the reduction of damage points for me again, if you could. Say if it didn't miss, it'd just minus a set number from the roll? Or...?
I haven't worked this out at all. The idea is basically the following.

For different types of armor decide what level of damage it shoud protect against. For example, perhaps one level of armor will protect against an average holdout blaster (3D), another might protect against a blaster pistol (4D), and heavy armor might stop a blaster rifle (5D). Convert the dice to a point value - say by multiplying the dice by 4 pts.
Armor 1: threshold = 12 pts, absorb = -3
Armor 2: threshold = 16 pts, absorb = -6 (this might be stormtrooper armor)
Armor 3: threshold = 20 pts, absorb = -9
etc.
If a character in armor is hit (may require hit locations for armor that doesn't cover the entire body) compare the damage first to the armor threshold. If damage < armor threshold no damage is taken. If damage is > or = armor then reduce the damage by the armor's absorb and apply the net total vs. the target's STR roll without armor.

Examples:
(1) Wimpy STR 2D in Armor 2 gets hit for 15 points, 15 < 16 so the shot is totally absorbed by the armor.
(2) Wimpy in Armor 2 gets hit for 26 points, 26 > 16 so the shot is not totally absorbed the absorb for Armor 2 is 6 pts. Subtracting from 26 we get 20 pts. Wimpy rolls STR 2D vs. 20 pts.
(3) Wookiee STR 5D in Armor 2 gets hit for 15 points, as before the shot is totally absorbed.
(4) Wookiee gets hit for 26 points, apply the 20 point net total against the Wookiee's soak of 5D.

It may take some adjustment of the Threshold and Absorb to get the right effect. But the general idea is that the threshold is the level of the damage the armor is designed to stop 100% of the time. The absorb is (in effect) the bonus to resisting damage that penetrates the armor.

Is the mechanic more clear now?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Notice what would happen if you took the scale dice of the damage dice of the attack. A blaster rifle would be doing 1D vs. the 3D of the AT-ST and the 6D of the AT-AT. That just about matches up with the results you want.
Subtracting the scale difference is much simpler than a cap. Have you tried out this variant?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: