The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lazing targets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lazing targets Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Well, if you're looking for "realism," try to think of it more like taking a picture of the target, rather than "shooting" it with a "laser."

If the target is stationary, its really a mindless task. I suppose that a target trying to "dodge" the targeter/designator would trigger an opposed roll. In that case, I'm not sure which skill I'd use... maybe just have the target roll his skill against the dexterity or mechanical of the spotter, with scale modifiers applied.(?)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i have wrote so far on it (for the table that i will be using it) is if the target is successfully 'lazed' and stays lazed while the missiles are in flight, they gain +3d to their 'fire control' to hit their target.
Flight time is based on range.
1 round in air for short, 2 for medium and 3 for long.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's an interesting conundrum: usually, you'd only laze a stationary target, so there would be no roll required... if you want the possibility of the target somehow evading the laser, then there's gotta be a roll in there somewhere...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since my 'lazing' unit is using missile weapons (for the device), it can be easily opposed by a dodge/vehicle maneuver.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havd you worked out how the pilot of the target craft would know that he is being painted?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, as the way i have always seen 'lazing targets' is that they don't leave any discernable marks. Certain craft when powered up and 'flying' might have targeting lock alarms, but most civilian ships especially transports wouldn't (Well imo).
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think any Dedicated Energy Receptor worth its salt would detect a targeting laser. [actually, it will. SWRPG Sourcebook, p. 9 specifically mentions laser light.]

Of course most speeders probably don't have those sensors, but walkers might and starfighters definitely would.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So
A) i need to find out if Gallofree freighters have DERs
and B) someone needs to be inside them, checking the sensors to get the word that they are being lazed..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,, I'm not sure what modern aircraft use, but AT LEAST since the 1980s, military craft have been able to determine when an enemy figher has achieved missile lock. On the other hand, once the lock is achieved, the pilot just shoots and forgets about it; there is no need to continue to "aim" (or whatever) the targeting system... so it mmigjt be worth considering that a laser designator might be a way AROUND missile lock detection in exchange for requiring the laser to remain on target for the entire flligjt of the missile.

Just a thought.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the more important question is, do you want it to have a chance to dodge. If so, then the pilot must have some mechanism to be aware that he is being targeted. Technological capabilities and limitations in a fictional universe are ultimately dictated by the story you are trying to tell.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
You know,, I'm not sure what modern aircraft use, but AT LEAST since the 1980s, military craft have been able to determine when an enemy figher has achieved missile lock. On the other hand, once the lock is achieved, the pilot just shoots and forgets about it; there is no need to continue to "aim" (or whatever) the targeting system... so it mmigjt be worth considering that a laser designator might be a way AROUND missile lock detection in exchange for requiring the laser to remain on target for the entire flligjt of the missile.

Just a thought.

True/ Knowing some of my mil comrades, you laze targets on the ground, so guided bombs/missiles can come in, without needing to worry about those 'sensors' showing a missile lock is on.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DERs are outfitted on military vehicles and are probably used by the good security firms as well. Civilian transports may or may not have them. As previously stated it all depends on whether you want to allow a chance to dodge or not and if so, how good the sensors operator/droid brain is at interpreting the data.

To step into RL for a moment, lasing came into vogue in the 1980's specifically because there were no widespread means of detecting a small laser beam, other than seeing it on the target next to you, and those guys usually didn't live long enough to spill the beans ("Hey, where'd that shiny red dot come from?" queue earth-shattering kaboom). Before that, everyone used gravity and windage, saturation bombing, or radar-guided ordnance. Fast forward to the present and the capability to detect a targeting laser's been around for a while.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if the pcs (and npcs that are with them) are outside the ship(s), figuring they need to fight them off, how would they tell the ships are getting Lazed?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
DERs are outfitted on military vehicles and are probably used by the good security firms as well. Civilian transports may or may not have them. As previously stated it all depends on whether you want to allow a chance to dodge or not and if so, how good the sensors operator/droid brain is at interpreting the data.

Indeed. I've read scenarios in a few other sci-fi genres where even VIP civilian vehicles are equipped with ESM suites to warn the pilots/drivers of a active sensor designation.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, but if the pcs (and npcs that are with them) are outside the ship(s), figuring they need to fight them off, how would they tell the ships are getting Lazed?

They wouldn't until it's too late (see shiny red dot, go boom shortly after) unless some droid left on board noticed an alarm going off and mentioned it to the characters. "I say sir, there's a rather frantic alarm sounding in the ship. I'm a protocol droid and not programmed in such matters, but I believe it did mention a 'targeting laser'. Shall I turn it off? It's making a dreadful racket."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: