The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need Help With Back Story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Need Help With Back Story Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Need Help With Back Story Reply with quote

I'm working on a character to add to a campaign and need some help. I have a hard time fleshing out Jedi characters to add depth to them so I would like some assistance on ideas.

The last Jedi I created is my favorite character creation ever. Her name is Jerona (pronounced "Hair-OH-na). She started off as a superstar athlete who was originally discovered by a dark sider and trained to use the Force to make herself a better athlete (among other things, such as using the Force for evil). A failed Jedi (former Jedi master) discovered her while gambling on one of her sporting events and saved her from that fate, retraining her for good, thus redeeming himself in the process.

The story takes place between episodes III and IV, and Jerona has yet to encounter any other Jedi.

I want to introduce another Jedi into the story, and I know what stats I want him to have, but I need to come up with a profession that he does to make a living (while disguising his status as a Jedi). I think I want him to be a bodyguard of some kind, but WHO he protects should be a critical element in the story. He will be protecting someone who is apparently good (as far as he knows), but I don't know if I want his boss to create conflict or to advance the story toward a separate (but related) conflict. The boss does not necessarily have to be evil, but he/she must provide some kind of plot device that involves Jerona.

I'm also toying around with the idea that when he first meets Jerona, they will wind up fighting (each thinking that the other is a darksider or something).

Most importantly, I need to be able to feel who this new Jedi is, through his childhood and his profession and even based on which Jedi originally mentored him before the purge. (I'm thinking that his original mentor would be Jerona's father, who was killed before the purge, and before she was born--still not sure if I want that to be the case, though).

He also needs a reason for becoming a bodyguard, and a reason for choosing his specific clientel.

For what it's worth, he will be highly proficient in the use of Form V of LSC.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Bodyguard - you could use the idea from Human Target TV show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439741/) or Comic where the bodyguard takes the place of the potential victim literally becoming a human target. It might be interesting if in the past the Jedi had been the bodyguard for someone and had failed to protect his client. Maybe even due to some Imperial entanglements. Something to give him a real personal reason to go beyond the professional to protect his client. If he is old enough, he could have been a Jedi tasked with protecting one of the Senators that opposed Palpatine. I believe some of them were either arrested or taken out one way or another. Perhaps his senator was eliminated by a elite Clone Trooper assassins around the same time as order 66. And because they were "trustworthy" Grand Army of the Republic clones he didn't suspect them until it was too late.

The client could be a wealthy businessbeing who who is a big fan of the sport that Jerona participated in. He could be a big gambler on such sporting events or he could even be a team owner. He could be a potential target for kidnapping like many wealthy beings or his other business dealings, the gambling world, or even the cut throat business of galactic level sports could all provide sources for the enemies that put him at risk and in need of a bodyguard. Also the latter three venues could provide scope for him to be more than he seems. He could be a vicious and unprincipled businessbeing; he could be involved in organized crime gambling, loan sharking or money laundering; or he could be trying to eliminate competors in the sporting world - either to take over a franchise, move an existing franchise to a more profitable location, or even eliminate the star athelete of a rival club so as to gain the championship for his own team.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by Bren on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Delicious, all of it!!!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately he could be a Private investigator..
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a NPC a few years ago who was one part bounty hunter, one part PI, and one part cat burglar. He liked to think of himself as a "Trouble Consultant."
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a jedi show up as a homeless guy, they thought it was some bum harassing them until someone wised up to who and what he was...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like Vim daboda..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm thinking that the person my Jedi bodyguard will be protecting will be Jerona's grandfather or grandmother... and maybe s/he does have an interest in gravball. Jerona will probably begin a quest (for a reason yet undetermined) to discover her roots, since she never met her parents, and it will lead her down that path. As to whether her grand parent(s) are good or evil... I'm not sure yet...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
So, I'm thinking that the person my Jedi bodyguard will be protecting will be Jerona's grandfather or grandmother... and maybe s/he does have an interest in gravball. Jerona will probably begin a quest (for a reason yet undetermined) to discover her roots, since she never met her parents, and it will lead her down that path. As to whether her grand parent(s) are good or evil... I'm not sure yet...

That just gave me an idea...

I don't know if you can use it where your story is going, but I could conceive of a grandfather receiving a threat against his family and tasking his best bodyguard with protecting his granddaughter. That would get them close enough to interact, and I assume she's strong-willed enough to dislike the babysitter.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you will need to focus on who the grandparent is, why they think they need a bodyguard and can afford one, whether the grandparent knows about their granddaughter and what they think of her, and why Jerona doesn't know who her grandparent is. Oh yeah, and who is really after the grandparent and why. Seems like a lot of potential for connections, loose threads, and drama. Enjoy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than family do it, since this one lass is in the sport, why not have the guard assigned by her team/manager?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell:
Jerona does not know who her grandparents are because she was "abducted" from within the womb by her parents' killer. I'm not sure if the grandparents know about Jerona. If they're evil (and therefore, were possibly not in touch with Jerona's parents during the pregnancy), they might not know about her.

Bren:
Now, if they realize that Jerona is trying to track them down, they might hire the bodyguard in response to that, not knowing who Jerona is or her intentions.

garhkal:
Jerona has not been on a team since becoming a Jedi, however, I've toyed around with letting her get back into the game.

Now, the thing about the bodyguard is that he hides his ability to use the Force (though he makes frequent use of sense skills in his line of work, since they don't "show" his nature, and enhance his ability to do his job).

Since Jerona's father was a Jedi, a "bloodline" has been established, where I could even say that her grandparent is some kind of force sensitive who also hides his/her skill, and even the bodyguard doesn't know about it (or maybe he does, and that's why he protects them).

In the end, I want Jerona to have a new piece of the puzzle of where she originally came from, regardless of whether her grandparent(s) are good or evil. The bodyguard, however, is good.

This is really good input, thanks guys.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the grandparents were jedi who turned, but still have a light side too them and realize if the imps knew of Jerona they would try to capture her to convert her as well.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, the Imps know of her. Their first attempt at defeating her was to task the grand inquisitor with her elimination. It was an elaborate plot, but in the end, she defeated him. She also left an express message, which the emperor did not take kindly to.

I'm thinking that Vader himself will have to hunt her down. However, he will refuse to kill her, because they've already fought to a stalemate (albeit, in order not to get killed, Jerona lost control momentarily, reverting to her darker side to gain advantage) after which she convinced him that the emperor was his true enemy, thus planting a small seed in his mind that may or may not later contribute to his choice to toss Palpy into the pit. So instead of killing her, he warns her to hide, thus her life in the underground world of the rebellion era Jedi begins a new chapter (one where she starts to seek out her roots and perhaps plot to gather what Jedi remain to rise up against the empire... of course, it will not be a complete victory... but all that has yet to unfold).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if she is powerful enough to fight Vader to a stalemate why does she need any sort of bodyguard..??????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: