The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting way to look at it. I tend not to personalize it like that, though.

I tend to think of "The Force" as simply being a part of the natural laws of the Star Wars universe. And I make rulings based on those laws... somewhat like how our universe can be explained with "physics" which is expressed mathematically, and therefore (presumably) objectively.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I think there is an aspect of being connected to the Force that escapes not only non-FS characters, but ourselves as players. We can intellectually understand the concept of being able to control and interact with an energy field like the Force, but to actually feel it? I can't even imagine the sense of power that would come with being able to do what Jedi do. I think the Jedi's potential to lose control in this situation has nothing to do with them being mentally weaker, but rather it is because, in that moment, they can feel the Force offering power beyond anything we can imagine, and in that moment, a Jedi is sorely tempted to reach out and take it. That's why Willpower comes into play: because it is how the Jedi says no and steps back from the power that is being offered to him.

I can't argue any of your points! However, are you going to say willpower is needed at any time to limit a kill hit?

If so, that is harsh (not unrealistic but ...).

I would argue that being on the light side (and playing the character correctly staying on the light side) will vastly limit that temptation to give into the power. However, calling on the dark side willingly, that is opening that door and asking to be tempted!

What about narrating instead of ruling it? I think a good narration can bring in that temptation, plus ramp up the narration on the speed and tempo of the combat. Keep the player worried about their character and unless they are sold out for playing the good guy they will grasp at any hope of saving the character ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Thats an interesting way to look at it. I tend not to personalize it like that, though.

I tend to think of "The Force" as simply being a part of the natural laws of the Star Wars universe. And I make rulings based on those laws... somewhat like how our universe can be explained with "physics" which is expressed mathematically, and therefore (presumably) objectively.

But that ignores the human factor. Natural laws may be rational and logical, but humans are not. Remember that the Force can (partially) control one's actions, but it also obeys commands. Whether or not the Force has an aspect of sentience or direction is up for debate, but even if the Force simply "is" and some have the ability to control it, the Force sensitives of the SWU project their own desires onto the reality of the Force, and the power to make one's desires become reality is much more real to a Force user than a non-Force user. That means that the difficulty of not using those powers for selfish or unethical reasons is steeper; therefore, Jedi face greater challenges in holding back from using a power that is so tempting to use.

WEG doesn't provide a lot of detail into the psychology of a Force user, so you have to go to other sources. The ROTS film adaptation provides an especially detailed account of the human perspective of a Force user in mid-combat, from the perspective of both Obi-wan and Anakin.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
I can't argue any of your points! However, are you going to say willpower is needed at any time to limit a kill hit?

If so, that is harsh (not unrealistic but ...).

There is another factor: the Force Power Reduce Injury.

I wouldn't say that Willpower is needed to limit all kill hits, as this is obviously not the case in the films. I'm a firm believer in using Willpower to allow characters to control their emotions, but my stance has always been that it should be used in situations where the character's emotional state is "close to the edge", so to speak.

Quote:
What about narrating instead of ruling it? I think a good narration can bring in that temptation, plus ramp up the narration on the speed and tempo of the combat. Keep the player worried about their character and unless they are sold out for playing the good guy they will grasp at any hope of saving the character ...

Isn't the narrative approach pretty much what we already have with WEG? My feeling was always that roleplaying was about us realistically scripting the actions of our characters in response to the dice roll, but when it comes to a Jedi maintaining control of their emotions in a critical moment, there are no dice to roll, and the narrative is dependent on the decisions of a player sitting at a gaming table, viewing the situation with a greater degree of objectivity than would a person actually experiencing what the character is experiencing.

To me, using Willpower (or something like it) to represent a character's ability to control their emotions in the heat of the moment just makes sense; in a game, the character's ability to shrug off a blaster hit is based on the Strength attribute of the character, not the ability of the person sitting at the gaming table to shrug off that same hit. Mental strength should be measured similarly, by the character's attributes, not the player's. While the narrative is a key part of telling the story, it should (IMO) be based around a rule and a roll. While the player may want his character to go in a certain direction, there are aspects of the universe over which he has no control, both physically and mentally. The player may not want his character to get angry in a fight and pick up a DSP, but I'm sure he also doesn't want his character to eat a blaster bolt. IMO, whether or not either of those happens should be based on the character's skill level, not the player. If a player wants his character to be better at controlling his emotions, then he should put some CP into Willpower instead of maxing out his Lightsaber and Force skills.

I know WH40K, in their first edition books, gave characters a Willpower attribute and a Cool attribute, with the second indicating the character's ability to stay calm under pressure...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent points, crmcneill.

What I meant was simply that (for personal, real life reasons) I dont delve so deep into characters in an RPG. And this is especially true when the character's source of power is of a "religious" nature.

Your stance on the temmptation of power may be relatable to a really strong person exerrting physical dominance over others, or a wealthy person using money to manipulate his social circles. On the other hand, there are also heroes who have physical strength (firefighters come to mind) and philanthropists who use money altruistically. I would imagine that these people rarely battle with the temptation to wield their power in a corrupt way (a firefighter fighter bully?), as that would run contrary to their conscience and destroy their very legacy.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I must point out that my perspective on using Willpower is that it should only be used in situations where the character is in danger of crossing the line between light and dark. The vast majority of the time, Willpower won't come into play at all, as the character is completely under control. However, there will be situations where the character has reached a tipping point and is in danger of crossing the line into darkness, and this is where the Willpower roll would come into play.

Up to now, my only applications of Willpower in this fashion were in the rules for Form VII (where the Jedi is intentionally skirting the edges of their own darkness to engage in combat) and to allow the use of certain Force powers like Telekinesis and Telekinetic Kill to be used to inflict Stun damage rather than normal damage (so long as the character can control their emotions). How Willpower would be applied in this situation has yet to be clearly defined or agreed upon; I'm only stating that I agree with its usage up to a point.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those examples you gave really cleared things up. I agree with you 100%.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we agree on the idea of using willpower, we just might be a little off on the trigger point. That said, it is a great conversation on the importance of willpower and temptation on the Jedi.

By the way, I like your idea on using willpower to allow a Jedi to the TK powers the give stun damage.

As you mentioned form VII, that is one I can’t wrap my head around on HRing it to fit the LS duel. …

Oh yeah, how do you see ‘form 0’ being used in the dueling rules? Can it replace a LS attack? Should it be limited to the one holding initiative? What is the overall effect?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Ok, so we agree on the idea of using willpower, we just might be a little off on the trigger point. That said, it is a great conversation on the importance of willpower and temptation on the Jedi.

By the way, I like your idea on using willpower to allow a Jedi to the TK powers the give stun damage.

Glad to hear: it met some pretty vociferous opposition when I first proposed it. I feel it is consistent with what we see in the films, even though it disagrees with the RAW.

Quote:
As you mentioned form VII, that is one I can’t wrap my head around on HRing it to fit the LS duel. …

Form VII is supposed to be the pinnacle of lightsaber combat as of the Clone Wars, but it comes at a cost. The Form VII adept skirts the edge of darkness by drawing on the adept's emotions and love of battle, putting the adept at greater risk of succumbing to the Dark Side. To express this in game terms, I gave Form VII the best combat bonuses but added the requirement of a Willpower roll every round to keep from losing control. If the character fails the Willpower roll, he must choose to inflict normal damage, and must take the maximum result rolled. If his opponent is killed, he gets a DSP.

Quote:
Oh yeah, how do you see ‘form 0’ being used in the dueling rules? Can it replace a LS attack? Should it be limited to the one holding initiative? What is the overall effect?

IIRC, I limited it to use by the initiative holder. It can be subbed in like a Force attack or one of the other moves that requires an opening to use.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Form VII is supposed to be the pinnacle of lightsaber combat as of the Clone Wars, but it comes at a cost. The Form VII adept skirts the edge of darkness by drawing on the adept's emotions and love of battle, putting the adept at greater risk of succumbing to the Dark Side. To express this in game terms, I gave Form VII the best combat bonuses but added the requirement of a Willpower roll every round to keep from losing control. If the character fails the Willpower roll, he must choose to inflict normal damage, and must take the maximum result rolled. If his opponent is killed, he gets a DSP.

I'll have to look at the combat benefits from the other forms and make sure what I give for form VII is better. It may take me a bit to look at the angles I can take though ... I do like the idea of willpower being needed to avoid self limiting the damage at any time, and the kill (if the willpower fails) is a dark point (I'm using SWR's corruption, but 6 or one half dozen of the other). I'll be sure to add that consequence!

crmcneill wrote:

IIRC, I limited it to use by the initiative holder. It can be subbed in like a Force attack or one of the other moves that requires an opening to use.

I do like the idea of it being limited to the initiative holder. However, I'm not sure I like adding it to the Dueling results table. It is already bigger than I like (but can't trim anything and keep it with all the results I think it needs ...). What is the effect of a form 0 attack? Hmmmm maybe something like:

the initiative holder can chose to make a form 0 'attack' instead of a LS attack during the round. The initiative holder rolls his form 0 attack, ? plus pips from intimidate, con, persuade? vs the target's willpower. If the attack is successful ??? the opponent makes all following willpower checks at -1D ??? Is at -1D - per each loss of form 0 attack - to all rolls in the remainder of the duel ???. I'm not sure on the results, but I would say if the form 0 attack fails the one that made the attack is at -1D or more on all rolls for the next round and initiative is rerolled.

Now, what is the base attribute and skill of form 0 ? I would argue that is isn't a light saber based skill. Maybe it is an advance skill from intimidate, con, or persuade. I'm not sure on it though.

Surgo
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really neat system. I do find the results on the high end of the Feint action to be really disappointing though. Consider if you just rolled an epic feint -- great, a +5 on your next combat roll! But if that was your roll on any other table, you'd have already hit the best possible result! I understand the idea of accumulating advantages, but by the time you've hit level 4 on the chart you've already done that.

I feel like the Feint action ought to have some better kind of options. On the low end, it could stick with the numeric bonus but maybe have it last a bit longer than your next action. On the high end, the numeric bonus ought to be ditched entirely in favor of Getting Something Done. What that Something is, I'm not sure Sad Perhaps something like "Off Balance" but better, where you gain a bonus to your next action and also get a free Force Attack that you can immediately make?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind the Feint result was that it would allow the character to set up for a better result the next round. Getting a +5D would be the result of a surprisingly high roll, not so much the actual goal.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Rule: Dexterity Damage
This rule is derived from D6 Space's Strength Damage rule, and reflects that some melee weapons are more dependent on how precisely they hit as opposed to how much force is behind the hit.

To generate Dexterity Damage, take a character's Dexterity Attribute and convert it to pips. Divide that number in half (rounding down) and then convert back to dice.

Alternately, a character may use his Skill Dice in a particular weapon in place of the Dexterity Attribute when generating Dexterity Damage. EDIT: A character may also use a Specialization to generate Dexterity Damage, but must be divide his pips by 4 (rounded down) instead of 2.

New (?) Rule: Precision Damage
A character may attempt to mitigate the amount of Damage inflicted, but must declare the result in advance. A character using this rule may declare their intended result in advance, and must beat their target's reaction roll (if any) by 5 points for every level of reduction.

For example, a Jedi with a lightsaber wants to wound someone instead of killing them outright. He rolls for Damage and gets a Killed result. However, because he beat the opponent's reaction roll by 17 points, he may reduce his Damage result by up to three levels (from Killed down to Wounded).

Lightsaber (Alternate Stat)
Type: Melee Weapon
Scale: Character
Skill: Lightsaber
Cost (Availability): Not Available For Sale (4, X)
Difficulty: Difficult
Damage: Dex Dmg + 5D
Special Rules:
SUSTAINED ATTACK:
A lightsaber can be used to make a full round attack by simply keeping the blade in contact with the target. This causes cumulative damage based on the Coordination rules (depending on what system you use) up to a maximum of +5D. However, the heat bloom caused by the sustained damage can potentially injure the Jedi as well (apply the Coordination dice result against the Jedi's Strength roll).
DANGEROUS WEAPON:
If a character attacks with a Lightsaber, and misses the base Difficulty number (not their opponent's reaction total), the character hits themself with their own blade, inflicting 5D Damage. Characters with dice or pips in Lightsaber may choose to lose their grip on the Lightsaber and avoid damage, but the lightsaber lands 1D meters away, and must be retrieved before it can be used again (picking it up is a standard action).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above rule is intended to be used with this power:
    Combat Sense
    Sense Difficulty: Easy

This power may be kept "up."

Effect: This power enhances a Force user's effectiveness in combat via precognition. Because the Force tends to manifest in the uninitiated during times of high stress or mortal threat, this power is often one of the first to be learned by untrained Force users, and has been known to activate spontaneously in reaction to an attack (in game terms, a Force Sensitive character who hasn't learned Combat Sense may activate it untrained by spending a Force Point and rolling their Force attribute in place of the Sense skill).

When Combat Sense is active, the Force user is aware of all attacks before they happen, and the Force guides both defensive reactions and counter attacks. In addition, because this awareness is dependent on the Force and not the adept's normal senses, it negates any penalties for Concealment; primarily for sight, but the other senses as well.

When Combat Sense is active, it has the following effects:

-The adept may decide when he wants to act during a round, and does not need to roll Initiative. If fighting an opponent who is also using Combat Sense, Initiative is decided by which character rolled the highest on Sense when activating the power.

-The adept receives a bonus to any combat skills, including all Reaction skills. The bonus is equal to +1D for every 9 points of Success on the Sense roll to activate the power (or +1 for every 3 points), or +2D, whichever is higher.

-The adept may ignore all dice penalties due to Concealment due to darkness or other sensory obscurement, and may attack and react normally.

-The adept can use Sense + the Combat Sense bonus to parry ranged attacks attacks at a base Difficulty of Very Easy for simple, muscle-powered attacks (arrows, thrown knives, rocks, etc) or Easy for propelled weapons (Firearms, Blasters, Bowcasters, etc). The Difficulty is modified by the number of simultaneous attacks made (standard MAP rules apply). In the case of simple attacks, the adept may attempt to grab the weapon out of the air at +10 Difficulty. Note, however, that certain attacks will still inflict damage on a successful Parry unless the adept is utilizing a weapon or other Force power to absorb the damage. Lightsabers, Sith Swords, and other types of advanced weaponry (power weapons or weapons made of energy-resistant metals) are generally immune to Damage of this type, but common weapons can be used as well (although they do take Damage on a successful Parry).

-If using a Lightsaber or similar device, the adept may, on a successful Parry, attempt to deflect an energy attack another direction, either back at the attacker or at another target entirely. On a successful Parry, the adept must make an additional Sense roll (subject to normal MAPs) against the range to the target (using the base range of the weapon being deflected) and the target's reaction roll. The blaster bolt's damage stays the same.

These two posts constitute my replacement for Lightsaber Combat.

-Revert to the 1E rule, where the character uses Lightsaber for lightsaber duels, but now augmented by the bonuses from Combat Sense.

-Revert also to the 1E rule for Parrying Blaster bolts, but augmenting Sense with the Combat Sense bonus and broadening the parrying ability to include both simple weapons or even bare hands (subject to Damage per GM approval).

I think this is a good compromise for the boost received by including the Force attribute rule, as well as a good representation of how the Force augments the Jedi in combat in the films and EU.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a person attacking with a lightsaber may add +1 to their Damage roll for every 3 points by which they beat their opponent / target's reaction roll (if any). This is a general rule in my SWU, and is applicable to any weapon, not just lightsabers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: