The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Working on the Sith Sword, what to consider?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Working on the Sith Sword, what to consider?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Working on the Sith Sword, what to consider? Reply with quote

I'm working on my own rules for the "Sith Sword," but the most important thing I'm trying to do with it is to make it a "rival" of the lightsaber without making it the same as a lightsaber. Note that my house rules for lightsaber combat are in effect, and I will include a quick version of them here for comparison (though I'd hope not to discuss the LSC too much unless we're talking about how it compares to the Sith Sword). I'm NOT necessarily concerned with the canon's portrayal of the Sith Sword, so in areas where I feel that it overlaps too much with the ligtsaber, I will make changes.

The overall concept is that the sword can be used as a conduit for the force, but in a different way than the lightsaber. Also, I thought it would be cool to make the Sword particularly special by allowing the wielder to enhance it's effectiveness with his alter skill. This represents him changing the shape/temperature/speed/density of the weapon once it enters flesh to cause more damage or pain, thereby encouraging evil as a means to victory. I also wanted to give the ability to make particularly memorable game moments by allowing the wielder to channel powers like force lighting or bolt of hatred etc through the weapon, creating cool visual effects that make even the lightsaber wielders say "ooh" and "ahh" as the GM describes the action. Note that the weapon is intended to be VERY, VERY rare.

Here it is:

Sith Sword

Skill: Sith Sword (maybe it will be a specialization of melee combat, but I don't think so).
Damage: varies (depending on the type of sword; short sword, broad sword, katana, claymore etc). Typically STR + 1D - 2D+2.

Difficulty: Difficult.

Special: Any non-Dark Side character receives a DSP the first time he causes damage with this weapon. The wielder adds a +1 bonus to damage for each die he has in alter. Accepting this bonus grants a non-Dark Side character an additional DSP. By expending a CP, this bonus can be increased to +2/die in alter. This represents the wielder channeling his evil force powers (such as injure kill or force lightning etc) through the sword to cause more damage. Expenditure of a CP in this way grants an additional DSP to a non-Darkside force user. Characters who have already fallen to the Dark Side do not receive DSPs in these circumstances.

The wilder adds a +1 bonus per die in control to attack rolls (not parry rolls) with the Sith Sword.

The wielder may roll sense to deflect blaster shots, but may not redirect them at a new target.

The Sith Sword may be used to parry lightsaber blades in the same way that a lightsaber can.

As for my LSC rules, here's the quicky:

No longer a force power; all Jedi automatically get the benefits for using a lightsaber.

Roll lightsaber skill by it self to attack and parry in melee.

Add control to damage. Instead of adding any number of dice to damage, may apply a +1 bonus to lightsaber skill per die of control not used to modify damage.

Roll sense only when deflecting blaster bolts. Roll control to aim bolt at new target.

Last edited by Naaman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probabily also add some sort of taint effect.. Such as

Any NON dark sider who picks up and tries to wield the sword must roll a willpower roll at a 20 difficulty or immediately get a DSP. Light sided jedi automatically get it. No roll required.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer a slow corruption type effect. Something like weilding the sword as a sword gives you a temporary DSP that you lose as soon as you drop the sword.

You can't lose your character from the temporary DSP but it still counts as a DSP making force rolls that much harder unless you accept the DSP bonus and then gain a real DSP and the DSP roll you make is at the higher DSP level.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, yes! I had intended to include a Dark Side element to actually using the weapon and forgot.

Let's edit!!! (Now see above under "Special" where the damage bonus is described).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the skill should be Melee Combat, not Sith Sword. The weapon is, after all, a sword, even if it is a sword that has special powers and abilities. Lightsaber is a special skill because of the nature of the weapon itself, in that the blade cuts anything it touches, yet is weightless, yet also has an oscillation effect that requires training to master. The same can't be said of a sword, even a Sith sword. Making the skill Melee Combat is also a good trade-off for the weapon being not quite as effective as a lightsaber.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I think the skill should be Melee Combat, not Sith Sword. The weapon is, after all, a sword, even if it is a sword that has special powers and abilities. Lightsaber is a special skill because of the nature of the weapon itself, in that the blade cuts anything it touches, yet is weightless, yet also has an oscillation effect that requires training to master. The same can't be said of a sword, even a Sith sword. Making the skill Melee Combat is also a good trade-off for the weapon being not quite as effective as a lightsaber.

I agree with you in principal. I just don't know if it "feels" right not having it's own skill... Still trying to decide on this one, though you make a solid point.

What do you guys think of the overall concept?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What do you guys think of the overall concept?

I like it, apart from what I mentioned. I understand the need to make things special and unique, but there needs to be a definite reason why it is so special and unique that it needs a separate skill, and I'm not sure this qualifies. For that matter, I don't see why it has the same base difficulty as a Lightsaber, when it lacks most, if not all, of the qualities that make a Lightsaber so hard to use in the first place. IMO, if you go with the slow corrupting effect suggested by Esoomian, it would be more appropriate for the weapon to be easier to use, if only to be more attractive as an alternative to a lightsaber and thereby lure in some unsuspecting idiot of a Force user.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Lightsaber is a special skill because of the nature of the weapon itself, in that the blade cuts anything it touches, yet is weightless, yet also has an oscillation effect that requires training to master. The same can't be said of a sword, even a Sith sword.

So allow me to introduce the anti-gravity-mounted Sith chainsaw! Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
So allow me to introduce the anti-gravity-mounted Sith chainsaw! :lol:

HA!. I actually use Warhammer crossover tech to add some variety to my games, so a suspensor-equipped chainsword isn't too much of a stretch. Of course, turning it into a Force weapon would be a challenge...

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know that Sith Swords need their own skill, after all, its going to be used in the same way as a traditional sword. Its actually the power that the sword represents that sets it apart.

As for the corruption element. I've done something similar with a powerful Sith artifact. I started with a Willpower save at 5, then added 1 to the total every time the character touched the item. Once the player failed a roll, I started raising the difficulty by 2 each time. Needless to say, he didnt really understand the seriousness of the situation until it started to snowball on him. At that point, he had to start making Willpower saves just to stay away from it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see changing it to

Non dark side jedi characters, gain the point immediately, but non dark side other characters gain it when they first cause damage with the weapon..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see changing it to

Non dark side jedi characters, gain the point immediately, but non dark side other characters gain it when they first cause damage with the weapon..

I understand where you're going with this, and I think I might adopt something like that (where it's Jedi are more easily corrupted). My only concern is that the Jedi may have a legitimate reason for needing to lift or carry the sword. Perhaps to bring it to the mouth of the Great Volcano to drop it in and destroy it (a la LOtR or some such). I could see in this case making a willpower roll every so often to resist the lure of the Dark side.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sometimes sacrifices have to be made for disposing of great evil..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'd prefer a slow corruption type effect. Something like weilding the sword as a sword gives you a temporary DSP that you lose as soon as you drop the sword.

You can't lose your character from the temporary DSP but it still counts as a DSP making force rolls that much harder unless you accept the DSP bonus and then gain a real DSP and the DSP roll you make is at the higher DSP level.

In our campaign a PC actually found a lightsaber with two powers. Firstly it gives the wielder a temporary DSP. While this DSP in itself will not make the character turn, it still counts when making Willpower rolls to resist the Will of the Dark Side (See my houserule thread), increasing the risk of the character doing more evil. Secondly it give the wielder access to the Force Lightning power.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

In our campaign a PC actually found a lightsaber with two powers. Firstly it gives the wielder a temporary DSP. While this DSP in itself will not make the character turn, it still counts when making Willpower rolls to resist the Will of the Dark Side (See my houserule thread), increasing the risk of the character doing more evil. Secondly it give the wielder access to the Force Lightning power.

I like it. It's a great idea for an adventure series. Is the original maker/owner looking for the weapon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: