The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Specialized Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Specialized Force Powers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Specialized Force Powers Reply with quote

I want to incorporate a means for individual characters to develop specific powers above and beyond their skill.

For example, a "zen" type Jedi might be particularly good at farseeing, postcognition, emptiness, and concentration. While the "warrior" Jedi might be good at enhance attribute, combat sense, danger sense, and control pain. Even if their respective skills in control and sense are equal, they specialize in specific applications of the Force that they are well practiced in or more familiar with.

I'm thinking that it should be 1 CP allows the Jedi to get a +1 bonus to any three Force powers. For example, if you specialize in control pain, danger sense, and telekinesis, you still roll the appropriate Force skill when using the power, but on those particular powers, you get a +1 bonus to the roll.

You can specialize as many powers as you want, and the bonuses are cumulative with each other, but no power can have a bonus greater than the number of dice in the relevant skill. So a character with 4D in control can have a max specialization bonus for control pain of +4.

As for multi-skill powers, each skill involved counts as one power for purposes of allocating the bonus, so affect mind would use up all three of the +1s. You could apply the bonus to just one or two of the skills involved, if you want, choosing to specialize in the sense and alter portions of affect mind, and applying your remaining bonus to another Force power.

What do you guys think?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like how Corran horn's family was all good with alter mind but sucked at TK..

IF i was to do something like this, it would be a flat trade.

Good at one force power, sucky at another.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see what you're saying, though I don't see the harm in letting player expend character points to get a small advantage. Seems no different from the concept of specializing in a given skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible guideline could be the Sith areas of specialization listed in the Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook, where some Sith specialize in controlling others, or in illusions, or in physical manifestations of power. It might provide you with a starting point for grouping powers according to areas of specialization...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yeah, I see what you're saying, though I don't see the harm in letting player expend character points to get a small advantage. Seems no different from the concept of specializing in a given skill.

There is a difference in specializing in a skill, and a force power. Its like in ADND specializing in a weapon over a spell..
If i could see doing it your way, it would not just be a 'few' cp..

Say
1st force power specialized in - 10cp
2nd = 20cp
3rd = 40cp
4th = 60cp..

So it gets harder/costlier.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at this from two points of view.

1. Making todays Force Skills into Force Abilities, and making all todays Powers in to Skills. This requires a lot of work though (if you want to keep a similar CP balance that is). So far I have not had the time to develop this.

2. Add 'Mastery Levels' to the Force Powers. Say that you have the following levels of advancement.
Beginner: A slight penalty or less powerful.
Normal: As per the RAW.
Advanced: Slightly more powerful effect.
Master: More powerful plus additional effect (Might be able to hit several targets with one action, use power as reaction skill (see Control Dissipate Energy thread).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

There is a difference in specializing in a skill, and a force power. Its like in ADND specializing in a weapon over a spell..
If i could see doing it your way, it would not just be a 'few' cp..

Say
1st force power specialized in - 10cp
2nd = 20cp
3rd = 40cp
4th = 60cp..

So it gets harder/costlier.

Why would you pay 10 CP for a static +1 bonus? You can raise the entire skill for less than that.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I have been looking at this from two points of view.

1. Making todays Force Skills into Force Abilities, and making all todays Powers in to Skills. This requires a lot of work though (if you want to keep a similar CP balance that is). So far I have not had the time to develop this.

2. Add 'Mastery Levels' to the Force Powers. Say that you have the following levels of advancement.
Beginner: A slight penalty or less powerful.
Normal: As per the RAW.
Advanced: Slightly more powerful effect.
Master: More powerful plus additional effect (Might be able to hit several targets with one action, use power as reaction skill (see Control Dissipate Energy thread).

I like this idea and have played around with things like it, although, I prefer to make house rules that don't introduce new mechanics into the game. Not sure if this particular thing would, but if I were going to write it up, it'd have to fit seamlessly into the RAW.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I like this idea and have played around with things like it, although, I prefer to make house rules that don't introduce new mechanics into the game. Not sure if this particular thing would, but if I were going to write it up, it'd have to fit seamlessly into the RAW.

I agree. I think a better fit to the D6 RAW would be to have the Master-Level abilities be part and parcel of the description of the power, just requiring the character to beat a higher difficulty level, which means that the Master-Level abilities would be out of the reach for novice equivalent characters, but available in a pinch due to expenditure of CPs and FPs.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such as using the telekinesis power to hurl a bunch of man-sized objects across the room all at the same time, or using Absorb/Dissipate to capture a shot of force lightning and return it to sender.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Such as using the telekinesis power to hurl a bunch of man-sized objects across the room all at the same time, or using Absorb/Dissipate to capture a shot of force lightning and return it to sender.

Actually, I prefer a house rule Control power called Convert/Dissipate Energy that is more in line with what Corran Horn can do in I, Jedi, where the force user can absorb the energy and convert it into temporary character points. Basically, for every five points of damage above the minimum difficulty, the Jedi gains a free CP that must be spent in the next round to enhance his Force abilities in some fashion.

As for rebounding a shot of Force Lightning back at its sender, IMO, that would be more along the lines of a Control & Alter power...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

As for rebounding a shot of Force Lightning back at its sender, IMO, that would be more along the lines of a Control & Alter power...

True, IF it's going to be a special power, but since a lightsaber can do it with just control, why not allow absorb/dissipate to do it?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
True, IF it's going to be a special power, but since a lightsaber can do it with just control, why not allow absorb/dissipate to do it?

Per both stat write-ups of Force Lightning, and film evidence, a Lightsaber can parry Force Lightning, but it can't redirect the bolt back at the shooter. Now film evidence in AOTC does indicate that Force Lightning can be rebounded back at the shooter*, but I would say that, for the Jedi to be able to control and focus that energy back at the shooter would require an Alter roll of some kind, since Alter is the go to power for using the Force to control anything outside of the adept's own body.

*EDIT: Specifically, that he can catch Force Lightning with his hand and redirect it back using Absorb/Dissipate or some variation thereof. Or at least Yoda can.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mace Windu reflected Palpatines lighting back at him....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Mace Windu reflected Palpatines lighting back at him....

True, however in AOTC, Obi-wan parried the Force Lightning with his saber and it simply vanished on contact with his saber. IMO, reflecting Force Lightning with a saber would be possible only at very close ranges.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: