The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

refubishing old Republic era ships to rebellion era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> refubishing old Republic era ships to rebellion era Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Gozanti was still in service during At Least EP 1. On Tatooine we see one in the desert. The ship is Krayt's Honor.

It's also one of my favorite designs as well.

I agree that these thigns will be very rare in the OT timeline (Rebellion/New Republic Times) but not gone forever.

You have to pic and choose your stats as well. The Wookiepedia lists the (stock?) Ship having a crew of 12 and room for 12 passengers
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti_Cruiser

The Krayt's honor is modified into a gunship of sorts and her Stats are here:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Krayt%27s_Honor

here is another site with info listing the crew as 13:
http://galactic-voyage.com/Old%20Republic-Transports-Gozanti%20Cruiser.htm

and yet another:
http://www.swcombine.org/rules/?Freighters&ID=141

That said, I've been thinking about how to add this myself. What i came up with was having the PCs find a wrecked one and having it brought to Shadowforge station (the fringe drydock) to have it retro fitted. New Engines, Hyperdrive, control systems (well, new to this ship at least) As for whos's going to be paying for this, well, you bring in a smuggler group, hutt clan, merc group, even pirates or black sun. With the right armament and troop spots, you have a freighter esort or interdiction ship.

Those are my ideas so far at least.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some research, I realized this is exactly the type of thing I'd love to send up against my player in my Pirates of Wildspace Campaign. Wookiepedia describes it as being "notoriously difficult to board". Does anyone have specifics on exactly why?

Complete Starship Construction System
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess would be how well it's armed, based on the wookiepedia entry, you have 2 quad laser batteries. 2 Quad Laser turrents and 1 proton torpedo launcher. It says it was also armored, plus Other sources list military class shields in some varients.

if the listed 12 passengers are in fact troops, then you have a nice fighting force to repel boarders.

Another thing I've noticved is that the stats and descriptions all mention 2 engines. (on the pods) but if you look at the rear of the main hull, there seems to be a 3rd engine there.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080927135457/starwars/images/5/59/Gozanti_Cruiser.jpg
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
It was my understanding that technology developed at a very slow rate throughout the old republic era, and only really picked up during the Clone Wars and Imperial eras. I was under the impression that ships several hundred or even several thousand years of age were not uncommonly still used around the time of the battle of Yavin. If that's true, it's probably not unthinkable that new systems could be integrated with older ones without too much work. Certainly less work than installing an aircraft carrier's nuclear reactor in a Roman Galley.

IIRC, Dreadnaughts from the early part of the clone wars were updated for service with the New Republic.

But hey, 4000 years!! Laughing Your example of slow tech advancement is about 40 years right?
I can see that if you go through the trouble of building a ship that is several hundred meters long (or even over a km) you would try to keep it running as long as possible. Over the years replacing systems with newer versions. Its done today with especially military aircraft. But after a point it makes no sense. No one puts a modern tankengine and weaponry in a WW1 tank today, even though it could be done. We see no WWII flying fortresses with modern engines (even though there are some really old bombers still active, I guess mostly because the strategic bombers role has mostly been replaced by missiles).
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the original idea is that the chars have several derelict transports at their disposal, but none of the hulls are space-worthy or can be made space-worthy with the money the heroes have available (I've written a list of which parts they can salvage from the derelict ships). So, being strapped for cash they opt to go to a naval scrapyard, where they find the Gozanti Cruiser sitting, and just about the only thing they have the money to buy without having to opt for something much smaller.

This was the reason I started this whole thread. and the question is have the engines "evolved" enough that the engine (from the old republic era) that sits in the Gozanti is so much bigger than the equivilant rebellion/new republic era space rating 3 engine that they can upgrade to a space rating 6 without loosing any cargo space?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: refubishing old Republic era ships to rebellion era Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
A friend and I were talking about refurbishing an old republic ship to the rebellion era. According to the rules presented in GG6, the drop in Cargo capacity would be quite significant if you upgraded the ships engines,

This is actually something we've discussed before. One of the things with GG6 is it talks about how many tons of space you have to have to install something. But if you're replacing sublights or hyperdrives with something faster you actually don't have to loose as much cargo space tonnage as you think. What's being replaced has weight to it too. Meaning subtract the tonnage of the item being replaced by the tonnage of the item going in and then look at what's left over. That's actually how much cargo space you loose. If you have a hyperdrive that weighs eight tons and you're putting in one that weighs ten tons, you don't have to loose ten tons of cargospace but two tons.

Wanted Poster
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper63 wrote:
my guess would be how well it's armed, based on the wookiepedia entry, you have 2 quad laser batteries. 2 Quad Laser turrents and 1 proton torpedo launcher. It says it was also armored, plus Other sources list military class shields in some varients.

if the listed 12 passengers are in fact troops, then you have a nice fighting force to repel boarders.

Another thing I've noticved is that the stats and descriptions all mention 2 engines. (on the pods) but if you look at the rear of the main hull, there seems to be a 3rd engine there.

Thanks. I think when I use it, I may give it reinforced airlocks, and a double layered, honeycombed hull with vacuum between the layers. That should play merry havoc with universal airlocks and other boarding devices!

I noticed that 3rd engine too. It's the poor little middle child, I guess...

Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've decided that the old republic systems (hyperspace drive, sublight drive, shield systems etc) of the Gosanti Cruiser takes up 40% more space that the equivalent new republic/imperial systems. that seems like a reasonable development over that time frame.

My characters have bought the ancient hull and are now in the process of completely gutting and refurbishing and rewireing the ship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it turns out, and any thoughts you have on running the Gozanti after a while.

BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Part of that is because WEG never put out any prequel stats. All of the stats we have for anything before ANH were designed by WOTC and then converted over, unless I missed some secret prequel sourcebook that isn't a fan-conversion.

your forgetting the weg book Tales of the Jedi Companion. which did have stats on old republic ships. it didnt go into great detail on how much space everything is at the time, but the basics are there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not forgetting the stats from Tales of the Jedi. When I talk about prequel stats, I'm talking about The Clone Wars Era: Episodes 1-3.

Quote:
All of the stats we have for anything before ANH were designed by WOTC and then converted over, unless I missed some secret prequel sourcebook that isn't a fan-conversion.

I could understand how this part could be confusing with what I was actually saying.
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the Gozanti considered 'ancient'?
The information I have seen lists it made in the last decades of the old republic and being used in the last years of the old republic by some senators before falling out of favor during the empire.
That's hardly 'ancient', its not like it's the star cab or anything like that. Laughing
The systems are really going to be 40% bigger with such short time frame?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I know when I first read this topic, I went and researched on Wookieepedia, and I distinctly recall an entry for the Gozanti cruiser that put its age at over 4,000 years before the prequels. It is now nowhere to be found on Wookieepedia, and the information on the Gozanti Cruiser article backs your assertion. I suppose those are the risks one takes when depending on a source that anyone can edit...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Good point. I know when I first read this topic, I went and researched on Wookieepedia, and I distinctly recall an entry for the Gozanti cruiser that put its age at over 4,000 years before the prequels. It is now nowhere to be found on Wookieepedia, and the information on the Gozanti Cruiser article backs your assertion. I suppose those are the risks one takes when depending on a source that anyone can edit...
Besides, a few decades seems like a real short lifespan for a class of ships in SW.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing too, because I always liked the look of the Gozanti and wanted one in a game, but the false Wookieepedia post had me thinking it was impossible...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: