The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

2 New Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> 2 New Force Powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: 2 New Force Powers Reply with quote

Control Energy
Prerequisite: Ab/Dis energy, Concentration

Control roll 20+ damage.

This power is a variation of Absorb Dissipate energy, in that the user actually takes the energy in to fuel his other powers. Neejad Halcon used this to such a Light saber dry of a dark Jedi and hurl him away with Telekinesis.
For every 3 points of damage soaked up, the user adds 1 to any alter roll made....
The entire amount of damage must be successfully resisted with this power, similar to Absorb energy. Failing it causes the full damage to affect the user with a -1d penalty to his/her soak roll.

Sense others Danger.
Prerequisite: Danger sense, Life sense, magnify senses, shift senses, sense surroundings.

Control and Sense power
Control roll: Moderate + proximity and relationship
Sense roll: Easy + proximity and relationship.
This power may be kept up.

This force power is exactly like Danger sense, but it is used to sense danger to someone else close to the Jedi. Whether used when acting as a bodyguard, or general combat, it allows the Jedi to know when that person is being attacked before the attack "to hit" roll is made, so he can gain a capacity to dodge/parry or otherwise try and prevent it.

Beating the sense difficulty by 0-4 just tells the Jedi Danger is coming, and which general direction (fore quarter, rear quarter, left quarter or right quarter)
5-8, narrows the direction, and gives a generalized sense of distance (melee, short range, medium range etc)
9-12 gives the exact direction, a better grasp of range (for non melee) and general type of attack (blaster, slugthrower, grenade or other explosive)
13-16 gives more info on type (pistol, rifle or other for blaster for example)
17+ gives exact info.
If the Jedi using this power suffers a wound or greater, the power is dropped and cannot be re-engaged for that person for 24 hours.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these have possibilities. I can see a few ways that the mechanics and descriptions can be tightened up to remove ambiguity. I'll post more on it later.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 New Force Powers Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For every 3 points of damage soaked up, the user adds 1 to any alter roll made....

The description in I, Jedi never said that it was limited to Alter. In fact, there was one specific instance where Corran Horn used the same ability to fuel subsequent Absorb/Dissipate rolls to protect himself from an explosion and fire in a warehouse.

I had an alternate idea of temporary CPs, in that, for every 5 points of damage absorbed, the character gained a temporary CP that must be spent on a Force skill roll in the next round or be lost (allowed to dissipate).

Perhaps a better name would be Convert Energy...

Quote:
Sense others Danger.

I'm curious as to why there is a Control aspect to this power, since it is almost entirely external in nature. And what is Sense Surroundings? I've never heard of it.

Quote:
Beating the sense difficulty

I like having the information detail based on how well the character rolled, and I use something similar.

Quote:
If the Jedi using this power suffers a wound or greater, the power is dropped and cannot be re-engaged for that person for 24 hours.

This seems awfully arbitrary. There isn't any other power that requires a 24 hour wait to attempt to bring it up again, even for high-end Sith powers where it might be more appropriate, like Force Storm or Transfer Life. IMO, it would be better to just have the Jedi be able to keep the power up unless he is wounded, at which point he may attempt to bring it up again as normal (with appropriate penalties).

I like the basic ideas here, but they both seem as though it would be more efficient to simply fold them into Absorb/Dissipate Energy and Danger sense, respectively...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
And what is Sense Surroundings? I've never heard of it.

Tales of the Jedi Companion Sourcebook p.50-51 is where it can be found.

crmcneill wrote:

I'm curious as to why there is a Control aspect to this power, since it is almost entirely external in nature.

Do you think sense/alter would be better?

crmcneill wrote:
The description in I, Jedi never said that it was limited to Alter. In fact, there was one specific instance where Corran Horn used the same ability to fuel subsequent Absorb/Dissipate rolls to protect himself from an explosion and fire in a warehouse.

Hows about i change it to any further force power rolls?

crmcneill wrote:
Perhaps a better name would be Convert Energy..

I will take that under advisement.

crmcneill wrote:

I like having the information detail based on how well the character rolled, and I use something similar.

Thanks.

crmcneill wrote:
This seems awfully arbitrary. There isn't any other power that requires a 24 hour wait to attempt to bring it up again, even for high-end Sith powers where it might be more appropriate, like Force Storm or Transfer Life. IMO, it would be better to just have the Jedi be able to keep the power up unless he is wounded, at which point he may attempt to bring it up again as normal (with appropriate penalties).

I was looking at that cause it would help be a reign in it's use for all sorts of things...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I looked. It's not there...

Quote:

I think just Sense would be more appropriate, as what this power does doesn't appear to have either a Control or Alter component. Honestly, I think it would be better to just upgrade Danger Sense itself with this power, so that the Jedi learns more about the Danger he is in depending on how well he rolls, rather than WEG's all-or-nothing at Moderate Difficulty approach.

crmcneill wrote:
Hows about i change it to any further force power rolls?

That works.

Quote:
I was looking at that cause it would help be a reign in it's use for all sorts of things...

IMO, rather than imposing an arbitrary time limit, it would be better to simply apply higher penalties on any attempt to bring the power back up.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2 New Force Powers Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
This force power is exactly like Danger sense, but it is used to sense danger to someone else close to the Jedi. Whether used when acting as a bodyguard, or general combat, it allows the Jedi to know when that person is being attacked before the attack "to hit" roll is made, so he can gain a capacity to dodge/parry or otherwise try and prevent it.

So what form would that capacity take? A bonus to reaction skills? Initiative? I like what you've done below, but on reflection, it needs more detail for use as a combat power.

Quote:
Beating the sense difficulty by 0-4 just tells the Jedi Danger is coming, and which general direction (fore quarter, rear quarter, left quarter or right quarter)
5-8, narrows the direction, and gives a generalized sense of distance (melee, short range, medium range etc)
9-12 gives the exact direction, a better grasp of range (for non melee) and general type of attack (blaster, slugthrower, grenade or other explosive)
13-16 gives more info on type (pistol, rifle or other for blaster for example)
17+ gives exact info.

I like this gradually more detailed knowledge approach over the RAW's all or nothing roll, as your version seems more in line with what we see in the EU. Honestly, I think a better version of both Danger Sense and Sense Another's Danger would be to fold them into the same power, with a Base Difficulty of Easy or Very Easy modified by your table or some variation of it, so that it's relatively simple for a Jedi to recognize danger, but gets more and more difficult as one tries to define the nature of it. Perhaps that could take the form of a Perception or Search roll with penalties or bonuses, as the warning of Danger Sense tells the character what to look for.

As far as sensing if someone else is in Danger, just make the base power modified by relationship and proximity.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I looked. It's not there...

I guess the person who wrote it into our Sparks gms handbook wrote wrong, as in Gry's force power compelation (page 33) it is listed as a converted power from "Power of the Jedi"
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote to change the name to "Sense Danger to Another."
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIR, for powers like accelerate another's healing - alter is added compared to the accelerate healing. But that is because alter is necessary to heal wounds to the other's body. Sense Danger to Another is a bit different, but it does seem like some form of connection would be necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: