The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi and slugthrowers, railguns, firearms, etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Jedi and slugthrowers, railguns, firearms, etc... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Jedi and slugthrowers, railguns, firearms, etc... Reply with quote

Okay, so, your friendly neighborhood Jedi is walking along the alleyway, minding his own business, when suddenly he feels a disturbance in The Force and senses danger.

He spins around, simultaneously igniting his lightsaber and blocking the incoming projectile.

But wait, it's a magnacaster.

Does the Jedi vaporize the entire spun aluminum spike? Does he merely cut it in half and receive 2 much lesser wounds? Does he split it into 2 smaller, partially molten shards of metal?

Suppose it's a repeating slugthrower? Can the Jedi stop allthe slugs? Does he vaporize some and have the others go through?

This actually happened in a game I was playing (not GMing) and I was the Jedi. I will not submit what the GM did until after a few of you respond, but I was not pleased with his decision (especially from a physics standpoint).

Anyway, let me know what you would do! Confused
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: slugs.. Reply with quote

If the slugs are bigger than the diamater of the blade then yes the jedi would take damage..other wise I'm sorry but the lightsaber would probably vaporize the slugs. Thats my two cents..
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make like an Agent in "The Matrix" and "Dodge Bullets"???

The Lightsabre would most likely melt the rounds coming at him.

Of course, flying bits of molten metal have their own problems. Twisted Evil

But, honestly, what is the likelyhood of him being faced with such weapons...

*Thinks on what he has written* Oh...
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I haven't had to deal with this one yet, its only a matter of time Confused Having thought it over a bit, I guess I would go with something like this.

When trying to block firearms with a light saber, yes a jedi can block them all, but it depends on what the jedi rolls. For example, Zed, the jedi, is walking through town when a thug opens up with an old assault rifle (AK-47 sytle). As 20 rounds fly through the air (I have a house rule for bursts) towards the jedi, Zed whips out his light saber and tries to block them. The thug with the AK rolls a 25 for his hit roll. In order for Zed to block ALL rounds he must roll a 45 (roll of 25 + 20 rounds)!

If Zed fails to deflect the entire burst, then he takes a portion of the damage. With out getting to into it, if Zed doesn't quite beat the roll then he takes a portion of damage, and it shouldn't be much as long as he beats the initial roll of 25.

Not sure if I'm making sense with this or not, but... like I said I haven't had to use this yet. But sending TONS of lead at some jedi sure does sound like fun Twisted Evil

~ phaedrus
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity the Jedi who faces a Pancor Jackhammer.

That's a fully automatic shotgun for the uninitiated folks.

"I call it the 'Meat Grinder'. I think you can figure out why."
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a U.S. AS12 automatic shotgun (now referred to by the government as a "destructive device") loaded with 3 1/2" magnum #4 buckshot emptying an entire 10-round clip in under 2 seconds would present quite a challenge...

My GM told me that I could try and vaporize the slugs (he said "try"). I did pretty well, but the resulting molten metal still splattered me and left me wounded.

I was unhappy about that, since the amount of molten lead (or whatever metal) that should've remained would have been insufficient in getting past my body armor, and he specifically said that it did not hit my face.

On a lighter note, I used telekniesis to draw the slugthrower to me and he ran away.

I got a few character points for not (no pun intended) getting hot under the collar due to the attack.

Some sense of humor, eh?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. AS-12? You mean this: http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0500/584.htm ?

As seen on Stargate SG-1! Slap in the Drum Clip, and you got enough stopping power to... Well... Stop a Moosebear.

I love Security Arms. The ultimate Internet Role Playing Resource for Gun Nuts. Like me. Very Happy

I've had an NPC pull out a Superchromed H&K MP5 from the back of a Golf Cart, as the Scanners on the Ultra-Secure Golf Course mostly looked for Blasters.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/orig/mp5.htm

No Jedis were harmed, but it really freaked out a Wroonian, and shot up a few goons in Repulsorlift Golf Carts.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this has been argued for a long time on another forum!!!!!
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Ragnar,

Would you be happy enough to provide a link or address so I can read their conclusions?

I'd appreciate it!

Very Happy

Commander Ray,

The original USAS-12 was a Korean design and fully automatic, but that's what they look like, stock and receiver wise...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the discussion here http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56

It started when I asked what happens when a jedi hits something with a lightsaber but rolls poorly on the damage roll? Does the blade pass throught the object without damaging it or is there a substance to the blade causing it to bounce off/glance off without damaging it?

It then moved on to the does a Jedi get hit by molten shards if they attempt to parry a projectile and thinking back to the films I'd say no as Luke slices several larg objects vader hurled towards him in half (and some of the time this caused them not to hit him) and he was never hit by white hot fragments or splattered with molten metal
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximilian Bernas wrote:
Commander Ragnar

Ragnar's official title is: Supreme Grand Moff Admiral

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
Ragnar's official title is: Supreme Grand Moff Admiral

Overruled. Razz
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be of the school that solid projectiles are the “equalizers” for non-Force users. I tend to think that at that velocity and with the kinetic energy that a round is packing that a Jedi with a sabre is going to get hit with something…whether or not he slices it.
Still, its not like they could not avoid harm some other way, they do have the Force after all. I would hardly think it unfeasible that they could use TK in some fashion to redirect incoming fire or just plain stop it in it’s tracks.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want to do is use projectiles that will explode if hit by a lightsaber Then what you have is almost going to be a shaped charge hitting the jedi

And yes TK will stop all this but unless you're aware of the attack or have a force power to aid your reactions you won't neccesarily be able to use TK in response to a fired shot
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly...you can't count TK as a solution to firearms, it's not a reaction skill and the likely-hood that you'd be prepared to stop slugs with TK is RARE. Furthermore the difficulty to focus on bullets with TK would have to be Heroic and Beyond so why not just Dodge...sure it's less cinematic, but at least you won't be the one who died from a primative slugthrower...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: