The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi and slugthrowers, railguns, firearms, etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Jedi and slugthrowers, railguns, firearms, etc... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, that would definitely help.
But then we have to deal with the uber-hot projectiles fragmentation. I tend to think that the Jedi is going to be nailed with something or another.
As for TK and knowing about if an attack is coming or not…well I could not agree more, and that’s just another one of the few weakness’ that non-Force users can exploit to bring the Jedi onto an equal playing field.

…Unless of course the Jedi has the Danger Sense Force power. Wink
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Slugthrowers...

You want to know insulting?

Well, my group was on a Wooden Sailing Ship on a Primitive Planet. A fight happened between the ship we were on, and Pirates, using Black Powder Cannons.

We lost, obviously, and a boarding action was started. During the fight, our resident Ubersoldier, an Insane Rodian with more Blasters than most Military Units, had gotten on his Powered Armour, and was going out to meet the Boarders.

The first one saw him, freaked out, and drew his Pistol.

A Single-Shot, Cap & Ball SMOOTHBORE Pistol.

"I'm going to... Wait a moment. He can't do anything to me. I TAKE THE SHOT!!!" Strikes a Dramatic Pose, gets shot... And drops.

Right in the Voice Box. The shot PENETRATES the armour, and injures him severly.

Currently, the armour is at the bottom of the ocean on that planet. We're planning on getting it back and starting a class action suit against the company.

Just for the Princible of the thing.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the armour have a lifetime warrantee?

(IE null and void if a claim is made after the owner is dead)

But then again the dice can do strange things Oovavoo (the 7d in strength esoomian) has yet to be hurt form a blaster bolt and he's had a stormtrooper fire 3 point blank shots into him.

But when the ship gets damaged eveyone else is fine (apart from the astromech) but Oovavoo is thrown into a bulkhead and despite spending character points to add to his strength roll still ends up with a nasty gash in his forehead
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. But, with my group, we're too rich to really care.

The Characters still remember the lean days. We knew what worked, and still use 'em. But try new things. The ones that work, we add and help out with (We've done Endorsements for *ALOT* less than we're worth!).

But the ones that don't work...

We're not doing it to get money... We're doing it to teach the Company a lesson.

We're going to make it very, very, very public!!!

*EVERYONE* is going to learn about the suit that was taken out by the small chunk of Lead.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell did that pistol penetrate that armour?
I mean…aren’t standard bullets (that being the equivalent to our age) have something like –2D to damage when face with SW armour?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got me. I wasn't there.

But apparently everything was checked. The GM rolled in FRONT of the GM Screen. It's legit.

GM rolled really, really good. PC rolled really, really bad.

"It wasn't quite Gunpowder, and it's not exactly lead." was the only way he could explain it.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a bit weeze to me…but hey if everyone saw it was legit, and no one complained….well, what can be said?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. Later on, when I showed up, I pointed out that he hit RIGHT in the place where the armour would be weakest.

Neck Joint. Gotta be flexible, and the armour that is there would be more in mind to Energy than Projectile. That's the greater danger on the "Modern" battlefield.

In addition, and upon furthur thought of it, I'd also go with the GM's suggestion of "Not Quite Lead", and have the bullet made from a harder material than lead (Copper maybe, or another easily worked, but hard, metal), as the people on that planet are rather tough compared to humans.

Finally, as this was the first time we took out that particular suit of armour, we could also say that it was defective in that one spot, and call it a day.

If we survive the "Alamo" situation, that poor, poor company.

'Course, this is the "Retirement" mission for that campaign... Which means that our odds aren't that good.

As if "Protecting the Alamo" wasn't a big enough hint.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucked! Oh well, at least it was a noble effort.

As far as The Force goes with projectiles, I see "lesser Force shield" a few places... Supposing some Jedi rediscovers "greater Force shield?"

Just a thought...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hardness of the material in question is pretty important…but not as much as mass I should think.
Still I think that rule covers most projectiles…but if it’s a GM calling (like making it uber-hard and dense) then who’s to say different?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. More like an offhand comment.

It happened, noone really "Argued" the matter, just a "WTF" moment.

But it's another thing we get to tease the poor player about.

As if the "Snowplow" and "Chuckwagon" incidents weren't bad enough...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Jedi Power Battles for Playstation, the Jedi guarded against projectile shots from Tusken Raiders and weren't harmed. They couldn't be deflected back, but they were blocked.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last adventure I ran having seen how medium level jedi get great amounts of dice for lightsabers I would rule that each shot would need to get blocked indivdually. I think that rules on firerate should be established to help with questions like these.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
But then we have to deal with the uber-hot projectiles fragmentation. I tend to think that the Jedi is going to be nailed with something or another.

Why? A bullet is a solid object before it hits the lightsaber. Blaster shots do not fragment - they deflect. So why should bullets which are more coherent and travelling at MUCH slower speed (which, if anything, should make them much easier to deflect)?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Son of Fire wrote:

Why? A bullet is a solid object before it hits the lightsaber. Blaster shots do not fragment - they deflect. So why should bullets which are more coherent and travelling at MUCH slower speed (which, if anything, should make them much easier to deflect)?

But a blaster shot is superheated gas contained in a magnetic field and a lot of the lightsaber explanations also say lightsabers have some relationship to magnetic fields and if the magnetic field is similar to the field blasters use then those fields could repel each other.

Non blaster shots may not be effected in the same way if this is the case. If we look at EU examples we find that the Luke was not able to deflect shots from the Ssi-Ruuk paddle beamer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: