The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Give Powers to Non-Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Give Powers to Non-Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let my brother forgo a couple of his starting dice in favor of a Perception skill called Intuition. It's kind of a catch-all and can be used to obtain information that he would not otherwise have access to, but if he doesn't beat the often considerable difficulty numbers, I lie to him.

Complete Starship Construction System
Blue Glowie
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this elsewhere, but these are some abilities I use in my game for characters with ranks in the Rebel Alliance. Feel free to cannibalize them. http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/rebelscum/wikis/rebel-alliance-ranks-and-benefits
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, has anyone ever considered doing a D6 conversion of the D20 organization rules? D20 has a lot of details and benefits listed for membership in various interstellar organizations that might come in handy here.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought on this. I've been considering an idea for upgrading non-FS characters that I'm calling Natural Talent. Essentially, during character creation, the player selects one attribute at which he is a natural. He may improve the attribute itself or any skills under it at half CP cost. This option is only available to non-FS, as FS characters have the advantage of having access to Force powers.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
This option is only available to non-FS, as FS characters have the advantage of having access to Force powers.
Unless in your game all FS characters eventually become force using characters, I'd say that FS characters only have the potential to become Force using. If the potential is never realized, FS are more restricted in behavior and only gain the benefit of one extra Force Point at character creation. (Whether the no limit vs 5 FP limit is a benefit or a disadvantage for FS characters versus non-FS characters seems to be a matter of opinion rather than obviously settled fact.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Suggestions?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing. I'm not a fan of special powers for SW. It reminds me of the laundery list of feats and special powers in D20 systems that I dislike, so there is not much positive I can contribute to this idea. I just wanted to point out that FS does not equal Force User. So be careful what you do to "balance" Force Users with non-FS.

I also don't feel the need to try to balance all the character templates at all skill levels. I think starting characters: 18D attributes, 7D skills are pretty balanced with many starting Force Users actually a bit weaker than normals. Then there is a period whose length and breadth varies based on rules tweaks and availability of teachers and training for Force skills where Jedi and normals are roughly balanced. Then there is a period where Jedi are overpowered. Personally, I'm fine with a game where Jedi eventually - say around 9D skill levels - are just better than non-Force users and I think there are fairly simple rules tweaks (change LS combat) that allow what I'm looking for. Sorry for the long anwer, but I am just trying to clarify what you are trying to accomplish.

OK, I was wrong. Wink I have one idea. Perhaps the best solution is to make Force Use come out of the same pool of special feats or abilities so players choose what they want. I like to think that although all Force Sensitives can learn Force skills and powers, that there are limits to how powerful people can be. Perhaps a FS character has to purchase a level of Force potential and this could be an option alongside of other special abilities. Maybe there are say four levels of force potential.
Level I - limited to Force skills of 3D or less.
Level II - limited to Force skills of 6D or less.
Level III - limited to Force skills of 9D or less.
Level IV - no limit.

Level IV would be an Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda, or some of the other masters on the council.
Level III - would be the level for most NPC masters.
Level II - would be the minimum level for Padawans being trained by a master or for Jedi who never rise above Jedi Knight.
Level I - would be for the very few and fortunate Padawans and for the vast majority of the Jedi who go into the Agricultural Corps - if you believe in that.

What does the limit do? Double the CP cost for force powers above your limit. Double cost again if learning without a teacher. And if you want to make it a stronger ceiling, add another doubling for rising above the limits for the next level.

Example a Level II potential wants to raise Control from 6D to 6D+1. Normally that would cost 6 CPs, but since this is above his potential cost is doubled to 12 CPs. And if studying without a teacher cost is 24 CPs. It's not a hard ceiling, but it is darn expensive to go above the ceiling.

Example for an even harder ceiling. A Jedi with Level I potential wants to raise Control from 6D to 6D+1. Cost is doubled for being above the Level I potential of 3D, then doubled again for being above the Level II potential of 6D. So the cost is 6x2x2=24 CPs with a teacher.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
This option is only available to non-FS, as FS characters have the advantage of having access to Force powers.
Unless in your game all FS characters eventually become force using characters, I'd say that FS characters only have the potential to become Force using. If the potential is never realized, FS are more restricted in behavior and only gain the benefit of one extra Force Point at character creation. (Whether the no limit vs 5 FP limit is a benefit or a disadvantage for FS characters versus non-FS characters seems to be a matter of opinion rather than obviously settled fact.)

True.. Now i can also see the natural talent trait being purchased by force sensitives, but with a cavat of they must buy it back if they ever get force powers..

Quote:
Hmm. Suggestions?

At most i could see things like

+10cp. Crack shot (ignores MAP for first additional shot in round

+15cp. Ace shot. Long range shots are treated as medium, medium range shots as short. Short range shots as PB.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Good points all around. I've been working on a Force use system that converts Force Sensitivity from a binary yes/no choice into an actual attribute, with Control, Sense and Alter as skills under said attribute. I haven't found a balancing system that I really like, but the idea I'm leaning towards is something along the lines of ZzaphodD's Will of the Dark Side rules, in that the higher a persons Force Sensitive attribute is, the stronger the Dark Side calls to them. The problem, as always, is in the details...

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the advantages/disads for other D6 systems would also seem to blend in with the idea of giving non-jedi some sort of special abilties beyond thier skill die codes.

We could port of a list and note which abilties coulod be acquired during play, and the (high) CP cost to do so.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought is allowing non-FS characters to have improved social contacts. While a Jedi may have cool skills that allow them to do neat things that will ultimately outclass the non-FS characters, they have mostly learned them in isolation somewhere. Any knowledge they have will be primarily theoretical, with little or no practical application. On the other hand, characters like smugglers or bounty hunters will have spent a similar amount of time out and about in the galaxy gaining practical knowledge and interacting with other beings. As such, when it comes time to make certain Knowledge or Perception rolls, the non-FS character will have a better idea of not just what, but who.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see all these "perks" being avlailable to Jedi too. At least hypothetically. It is just that Jedi will need to ocus on thier Force abilities and so won't have the Cps to spare on a lot of perks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: