The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Brain Burn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Brain Burn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Brain Burn Reply with quote

So, it's been my educated assumption that while blasters generally do more damage than slug weapons, they do that damage in a hemispherical pattern leaving wider, shallower injuries than firearms narrow, roughly conical wounds.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but in the instance of head shots, I think it may make a difference. Everyone knows that if you take a normal gunshot directly to the head at short range, you almost certainly die. Despite this, a normal 9mm round (approximately 3D damage) versus a moderately strong human (3D, minus 1D for a head hit = 2D) is likely to yield a stunned or wounded result. So I have a rule that firearms to the head kill, except in mitigating circumstances.

But I have blasters roll damage normally, due to the shallower wounds.

What does the EU say? Am I off my rocker? Discuss.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding surface vs penetrating damage for blasters:
IIR we see blasters knocking chunks of permacrete out of the wall of the landing bay on Tatooine. That doesn't sound much like surface damage to me. In addition, virtually all armor has better physical protection than energy protection - which again makes it seem that blasters are at least as penetrating as physical weapons such as firearms.

On the other hand, if you view blasters as more a wide area surface injury, then the blaster equivalent of your firearm instant kill head shot is a blaster automatic blinding result. 4D damage to your eyeballs can't be a good thing. One could also combine this with some pretty intense scarification.

Regarding instant kill head shots:
The head wound that is "only a graze" or that knocks the hero out is an extremely common trope in fiction. I don't know that I would want a special rule to ban that. A normal STR 2D human will be wounded or worse from a head shot. I consider an NPC with a 3D STR as quite fit or strong rather than moderately fit or strong.

I don't see firearms showing up in the EU, aside from a few WEG adventures and supplements. Personally, whether firearms or blasters, I don't want to add to the lethality or maimingness of combat by adding an automatic anything result.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add +1D to the damage for headshots.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Regarding surface vs penetrating damage for blasters:
IIR we see blasters knocking chunks of permacrete out of the wall of the landing bay on Tatooine. That doesn't sound much like surface damage to me. In addition, virtually all armor has better physical protection than energy protection - which again makes it seem that blasters are at least as penetrating as physical weapons such as firearms.

On the other hand, if you view blasters as more a wide area surface injury, then the blaster equivalent of your firearm instant kill head shot is a blaster automatic blinding result. 4D damage to your eyeballs can't be a good thing. One could also combine this with some pretty intense scarification.
Well those chunks of permacrete seem to leave wide, shallow craters, unlike the deeper narrower craters associated with firearms in concrete. Obviously we have no permacrete to test against, but it's likely safe to assume similar effects of directed energy vs. kinetic energy weapons. And yeah, I do scar characters who get hit. There isn't much bacta out in Wildspace...
Bren wrote:

Regarding instant kill head shots:
The head wound that is "only a graze" or that knocks the hero out is an extremely common trope in fiction. I don't know that I would want a special rule to ban that. A normal STR 2D human will be wounded or worse from a head shot. I consider an NPC with a 3D STR as quite fit or strong rather than moderately fit or strong.

I don't see firearms showing up in the EU, aside from a few WEG adventures and supplements. Personally, whether firearms or blasters, I don't want to add to the lethality or maimingness of combat by adding an automatic anything result.

More good points.
I would consider a graze a mitigating circumstance, and probably not even knock out the character. With muzzle velocities being what they are ever since the black powder days, the odds of being knocked out by a bullet that doesn't kill you aren't good. As far as a 3D strength being quite strong, I'll grant you that, but bullets in the head kill linebackers, too. Pretty much anything weaker than a bear and smarter than a chicken can be killed with an average bullet to the head...

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ususally increase the difficulty and damage of a called shot. Once you're calling a shot to the head, it increases the damage. I also think that the exact hit location in the head makes a difference when we're talking about how things go in game. There are people who are shot in the face and live depending on the bullet's trajectory once it hits the flesh. My friend has an Iraq war vet for a roommate and the guy had a bullet enter his face, ricochet off of the inside of his helmet and re-enter the skull. The man is on disability, and is blind in one eye, but he's alive. My friend is an EMT and had a colleague arrive at the scene of an attempted suicide. The man put a gun to his forehead and pulled the trigger. The bullet lodged in the front of his skull and did VERY little damage. He was even conscious. (Incidentally when the paramedics arrived they asked why he didn't try again. The man said, "CUZ IT HURT!")
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I ususally increase the difficulty and damage of a called shot. Once you're calling a shot to the head, it increases the damage. I also think that the exact hit location in the head makes a difference when we're talking about how things go in game. There are people who are shot in the face and live depending on the bullet's trajectory once it hits the flesh. My friend has an Iraq war vet for a roommate and the guy had a bullet enter his face, ricochet off of the inside of his helmet and re-enter the skull. The man is on disability, and is blind in one eye, but he's alive. My friend is an EMT and had a colleague arrive at the scene of an attempted suicide. The man put a gun to his forehead and pulled the trigger. The bullet lodged in the front of his skull and did VERY little damage. He was even conscious. (Incidentally when the paramedics arrived they asked why he didn't try again. The man said, "CUZ IT HURT!")
So maybe instead of subtracting 1D from soak for the headshot, I should start subtracting 2D for slugs, giving people a small shot at surviving being shot in the head?

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain Burn Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
So, it's been my educated assumption that while blasters generally do more damage than slug weapons, they do that damage in a hemispherical pattern leaving wider, shallower injuries than firearms narrow, roughly conical wounds.Normally this wouldn't be an issue,

Axctually, it would be a major issue. Ballsic armor works by spreading out the impact area and turning a bullet hit into a wider, shallower wound. So either blasters hits aren7t that shallow, or they have another component to thier damage that isn't limited as much by penetration. Heat or electrical energy, for example.

Quote:

but in the instance of head shots, I think it may make a difference. Everyone knows that if you take a normal gunshot directly to the head at short range, you almost certainly die.

And everyone is wrong. Really. It doesn't work that way. While I wouldn't reccommend it as a hobby, getting shot in the head is survivable, even at close range. What happens depends a lot of where the bullet hits, how powerful the shot is, and what degree of medical attetnion is given, and how quickly.Mortality rates for firarms are much much lower than what most people believe.

Quote:

Despite this, a normal 9mm round (approximately 3D damage) versus a moderately strong human (3D, minus 1D for a head hit = 2D) is likely to yield a stunned or wounded result. So I have a rule that firearms to the head kill, except in mitigating circumstances.

But I have blasters roll damage normally, due to the shallower wounds.

What does the EU say? Am I off my rocker? Discuss.

Your houserull is certainly "off" from reality. Although I will say that the RAW is rather forgiving. While instant kills are not that common in real life, even for headshots, most head shots do tend to be more serious than a "wound". result.

As far as blasters go, I doubt they would be less effective than a bullet on head shots. A blaster could be frying nerves, or parts of the brain and could be just as leathal as a bullet. Perhaps more lethal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: