The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Battle of Hoth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Battle of Hoth Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therritn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it was an awesome adventure, according to the players' comments afterwards
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG put out a boxed game, not unlike Star Warriors, on the Battle of Hoth. It was a pretty good format I thought. The module Otherspace II lets that be employed with a little additions.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also drop them out on some secondary supply post somewhere away from the main battle. They can knock off an imperial group patrolling the flanks of the main attack force. After they realize Echo base has fallen they can link up with other rebels that escaped the battle and start a little guerilla war against the empire. Short lived of course. Their ultimate goal should be to "liberate" some kind of transport to scurry their group and anybody they've rescued.

Lot of good ideas here. Mix and match works good too.
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
WEG put out a boxed game, not unlike Star Warriors, on the Battle of Hoth. It was a pretty good format I thought. The module Otherspace II lets that be employed with a little additions.

It's called Assault On Hoth (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3548) and it's by far the best Star Wars board game I've ever played. It captures the spirit of the movie very well with incredibly simple mechanics. The only drawback is it's only a 2 player game. Wish you could do more players, but there you have it. Not sure how'd you fit it into an RPG campaign though. I used to have a copy of the game, but have lost it over the years and am now trying to find it on eBay...

-shnar
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an adventure idea in the 1E book p. 119 called "Marooned on Hoth." Basically, the PCs are part of a unit deployed on the ridge above the Rebel base as scouts to guard against flanking or encircling maneuvers by the Empire. An Imperial Transport lands on the far side of the ridge and unloads snowtroopers and AT-STs. During the battle the PCs are cut off from the base and miss the last transport, so they are stranded. They must survive nightfall and find a way off the planet. Do they capture some snowtrooper armor and pose as Imperials? Do they steal an Imperial ship to escape? Do they sneak back into the Rebel base hanger and steal a ship?

I've always liked that idea but never got a chance to run that adventure. But I have run Crisis on Cloud City and loved it. So I thought of a way to combine those two adventure ideas to make the ultimate TESB behind-the-scenes adventure...

Crisis on Cloud City is a sequel to the adventure Starfall. So start with Starfall, and at the end when the PCs join the Rebel Fleet, they are ordered to take the Rebel engineer guy to Hoth. While there they decode a transmission sent (at the end of Starfall) from the engineer's Imperial daughter, and the decoded message states she is next going to Cloud City in Bespin for a project that might spell certain doom for the Rebels. Just when the PCs are ordered to go to Cloud City, the Empire attacks. the PCs could then enter the Hoth scenario above, or augment it with some of the great ideas others have brought up in this thread. Maybe the PCs do get off the planet without being stranded overnight. Maybe they also run into trouble near the asteroid field. The PCs escape The Hoth system and since their hyperdrive is not damaged they get to Cloud City before the Empire and the Falcon. They walk into the Crisis on Cloud City adventure and at the end after they save the city from falling, Lando, Lobot and tons of city guards all come in and arrest the Rebels and the engineer's daughter, stating he has more important problems so he'll sort all this out later. As the PCs are being put in the security tower they find out that Vader has landed in the city. So the PCs sit in jail while the events of the movie are happening until the point Lobot comes to release them to make room for the stormtroopers (after "Hold them in the security tower. And keep it quiet"). Lobot tells the PCs that Lando said they are free and they should leave the city immediately. The Rebels have Imperial encounters and eventually get back to their ship and escape, but one of the PCs (and maybe a PC's astromech droid) get away on Luke's X-Wing that was left behind because he escaped on the Falcon...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a pretty sweet idea Whill,

I will have to steal it if my group ever wants to play in the classic era again.
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to play Crisis on Cloud City. Is it worth picking up?

I know it comes with Sabbac cards, but most of the used books I see on ebay don't have them. Do I need them for the game?
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinley wrote:
I have yet to play Crisis on Cloud City. Is it worth picking up?

I know it comes with Sabbac cards, but most of the used books I see on ebay don't have them. Do I need them for the game?

The adventure does have some good parts, but the main plot is sort of silly. You don't actually need the sabacc cards to play the adventure, they are just there to enhance the scenario.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from what I remember CoCC it was kinda wacky, but I still remember having a lot of fun with it. If I remember correctly, it has to do with a super-intelligent droid that was designed to automate a lot of the functions of a capital ship, and I think there was also nano-technology which, when injected into a living being, could transform them into a droid. I remember I changed that so the nano-tech could take over control of a person but didn't physically change them on the surface. That way works much better anyway because you can't easily tell who is infected. But the climax of the story involved the repulsor system being turned off and Cloud City falling until the heroes saved it. The sabbaac deck is fluff and not needed to play the game, but actually works as a game itself and is a close approximation of the in-universe game. You could always say it was one of the many variations of the game ("Bespin Style" or whatever). I also thought that this adventure would be easy to adapt to non-Rebel PCs, so you have more playing options then just Rebels verses Imperials.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There is an adventure idea in the 1E book p. 119 called "Marooned on Hoth." Basically, the PCs are part of a unit deployed on the ridge above the Rebel base as scouts to guard against flanking or encircling maneuvers by the Empire. An Imperial Transport lands on the far side of the ridge and unloads snowtroopers and AT-STs. During the battle the PCs are cut off from the base and miss the last transport, so they are stranded. They must survive nightfall and find a way off the planet. Do they capture some snowtrooper armor and pose as Imperials? Do they steal an Imperial ship to escape? Do they sneak back into the Rebel base hanger and steal a ship?

I've always liked that idea but never got a chance to run that adventure. But I have run Crisis on Cloud City and loved it. So I thought of a way to combine those two adventure ideas to make the ultimate TESB behind-the-scenes adventure...

Crisis on Cloud City is a sequel to the adventure Starfall. So start with Starfall, and at the end when the PCs join the Rebel Fleet, they are ordered to take the Rebel engineer guy to Hoth. While there they decode a transmission sent (at the end of Starfall) from the engineer's Imperial daughter, and the decoded message states she is next going to Cloud City in Bespin for a project that might spell certain doom for the Rebels. Just when the PCs are ordered to go to Cloud City, the Empire attacks. the PCs could then enter the Hoth scenario above, or augment it with some of the great ideas others have brought up in this thread. Maybe the PCs do get off the planet without being stranded overnight. Maybe they also run into trouble near the asteroid field. The PCs escape The Hoth system and since their hyperdrive is not damaged they get to Cloud City before the Empire and the Falcon. They walk into the Crisis on Cloud City adventure and at the end after they save the city from falling, Lando, Lobot and tons of city guards all come in and arrest the Rebels and the engineer's daughter, stating he has more important problems so he'll sort all this out later. As the PCs are being put in the security tower they find out that Vader has landed in the city. So the PCs sit in jail while the events of the movie are happening until the point Lobot comes to release them to make room for the stormtroopers (after "Hold them in the security tower. And keep it quiet"). Lobot tells the PCs that Lando said they are free and they should leave the city immediately. The Rebels have Imperial encounters and eventually get back to their ship and escape, but one of the PCs (and maybe a PC's astromech droid) get away on Luke's X-Wing that was left behind because he escaped on the Falcon...

...I remember running that "Marooned on Hoth" plot from the 1st Ed. Rulebook. The PCs had a few snowspeeders & extra personnel in an area to prevent flanking actions by AT-ST's & the like. Ahhhh, memories... Twisted Evil

...That sounds like a good adventure run Whill! Keep us posted on that. Very Happy
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it will probably be many years before I run adventures set around the time of TESB. I just wanted to share my idea.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Well, it will probably be many years before I run adventures set around the time of TESB. I just wanted to share my idea.

...It's a great idea (& smugglers can be routed in with relative ease). Keep up the good work mate! 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: