The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

3rd Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> 3rd Edition Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: 3rd Edition Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I've been wondering if there is any interest in bringing the D6 system into the present. I have found many of the rules to be rather dated. I have implemented a few changes in my own game that has gone over very well.

Just wanted to know if anyone was interested in trying them out or helping me develop it further?

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've come to the right place. There is a wealth of interest and knowledge and experience on this forum. I would recommend just posting up individual changes/updates in the appropriate forums, rather than bombarding a single thread with it all.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm working on changing space movement rules to a more newtonian system, rather than the dart-and-hover hummingbird like system that exists now. It eliminates the atmosphere speed rating alltogether, and radically changes the range and use of proton torpedos, concussion missiles, and other projectile weapons in space. It's mostly finished.

What were you looking to change?

Complete Starship Construction System
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start I think that all attributes should provide some sort of bonus. As it stands now Strength is the only attribute that does so. I also think that skills should start at 0D instead of your Attribute score. This allows for an actual "starting" character.

Dexterity: Your “D” in Dexterity determines how many actions you can take during your turn, and it also adds to how much damage you deal with ranged weapons.
Knowledge: Your intellect determines your characters “Advantage” and also adds to how much psionic damage you deal.
Mechanical: Your mechanical would replace Fire Control.
Perception: Your perception determines your characters “Cunning” and “Initiative”.
Strength: Your Strength adds to how much damage you deal with melee attacks, and also adds to your Armor Class for resisting melee and ranged weapon damage.
Technical: Your technical allows you to reduce the penalties your vehicle, starship, or capital ships may suffer in combat.

Cunning: Your “Cunning” is a pool of dice your character may draw from to increase their abilities beyond their normal skill level. You may use any amount of “D” out of your Cunning, even a single pip if need be, to add to any skill check of your choosing. This can be added even after your character learns if his skill check failed allowing your character a new chance to succeed, and can be added one after the other in case your first attempt does not grant success. Your Cunning resets at the beginning of every turn.
For example: Your character has a “Cunning” of 3D+2 and is attacked by Wampa with a Melee result of 26. Your character makes a Parry of 23 and you know that if that Wampa hits you you’re toast! Now you could add +2 but that would only give you 25, still not good enough, so you throw 1D. Luck is not with you and you roll a 1, so your total is now 24. Your “Cunning” total is now 2D+2 and you still need 2 more points, so you decide to put in your “+2” pips bringing your total to 26. Exactly what you need to Parry the Wampa attack and it leaves your character with a “Cunning” of 2D for the remainder of this turn.
If you have 0D in a skill then that skill is considered untrained. There are special rules that govern untrained skills, one of which is you cannot add your “Cunning” to an untrained skill. Now, even though you have 0D you still roll a wild die. If that die is a 1 through 5 you just ignore it. If the roll is a 6 you still get your bonus die as normal, but you do not keep the wild die (the 6 does not add to the total). After you get this result you can then add any racial or equipment bonuses your character might have to the total of the check.

Advantage: Your “Advantage” is a bonus that your character gets to his skills when he has any kind of advantage, pure and simple. If your “Advantage” is 2D+2 and you are attacking a character that cannot see you, you add 2D+2 to your attack. “Advantage” can be offense or defensive in nature and can also be applied to almost every skill.

Skills: Each race receives 12D to place into their beginning skills. Each skill begins at 0D and you cannot place more than 3D into a single skill. Like attributes you place your dice into any skill of your choosing; however, you must place at least 1D into a skill, you cannot have a skill at 0D+1 or 0D+2. After the skill is at 1D you may add individual pips if you so desire.

Now I know that these changes seem to create a bit more work on face value, but we've been using them for several months now and its honestly amazing. I have much more rules, and I am currently typing them all up. The changes I've made to combat and running vehicles are also pretty cool, and I'll post them as soon as I have them typed up. Oh, I also reworked the Damage system a little to help even some things out an my players love it.

Damage Effect
0-3 Dazed
4-7 Stunned
8-11 Wounded
12-15 Incapacitated
16-19 Mortally Wounded
20+ Dead

Dazed
Your character gains a daze effect. If your character has as many daze effects as D in Strength you fall unconscious for 2D minutes. When you come to all of your daze effects are removed. You can also remove all your daze effects by taking a full turn action. Any amount of healing that heals a Stun also removes all Dazed results.

Stunned

Your character grants combat advantage. If you are Stunned again you are Wounded. You can also remove all your Stun effect by taking a full turn action. Any amount of healing also removes your Stun effects.

Wounded
Your character is knocked prone and suffers a –1D to all skills and attributes, and you grant combat advantage. If you are Stunned or Wounded again you become incapacitated.

Incapacitated
You fall prone and are knocked unconscious for 1Dx10 minutes. Your character can’t do anything until healed. If you become Dazed, Stunned, Wounded, or Incapacitated again you become Mortally Wounded.

Mortally Wounded
You are unconscious. Also roll 2D, if this roll is less than the number of rounds you’ve been mortally wounded you die. A character that succeeds on a DC 10 heal check or applies any amount of healing through psionic powers or medkits can stabilize the character. If you become Dazed, Stunned, Wounded, Incapacitated, or Mortally Wounded again you die.

Dead
Make a new character!

I have also come up with a way to eliminate the need to scale vehicle damage!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's not really where I would want to go with a rules update, but you're welcome to use any rules, stats, equipment, or artwork I've posted here.

Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the part about Dexterity, in regards to actions. Though I'm not sure about adding it all to damage.

Oh and Fallon, I'm really interested in that space movement rules you mentioned.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...One hold-over I use still from the old Star Wars: Rules Companion is the following damage system:

Str > Dmg= Stun
Dmg> Str= Wounded
Dmg x2 > Str= Incapacitated
Dmg x3 > Str= Mortal Wound
Dmg x4+ > Str = Killed

...that last result was borrowed from the Combat chapter & I converted it to use in character fights--had a lot of dead PCs the first few go-arounds, but overall it worked well enough for players to be more careful in combat, since one didn't have the ridiculous safety margin of 16-20+ to avoid death Rolling Eyes Here an unlucky sap that has 4D Str & rolls all 1s vs a Stormtrooper with standard-issue Blaster Pistol rolls an 7 on damage cuts through said PC. This system also made it easier to handle large-scale battles.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre, I don't think you typed exactly what you meant to type.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...One hold-over I use still from the old Star Wars: Rules Companion is the following damage system:

Str > Dmg= Stun
Dmg> Str= Wounded
Dmg x2 > Str= Incapacitated
Dmg x3 > Str= Mortal Wound
Dmg x4+ > Str = Killed

...that last result was borrowed from the Combat chapter & I converted it to use in character fights--had a lot of dead PCs the first few go-arounds, but overall it worked well enough for players to be more careful in combat, since one didn't have the ridiculous safety margin of 16-20+ to avoid death Rolling Eyes Here an unlucky sap that has 4D Str & rolls all 1s vs a Stormtrooper with standard-issue Blaster Pistol rolls an 7 on damage cuts through said PC. This system also made it easier to handle large-scale battles.
Bren wrote:

I can envision it now...
    "You just grazed him. He's dead."
    "I wanted to wound him too. Can I use a CP?"
    "If you must."
    "4."
    "Okay. You've killed him, mortally wounded him, and incapacitated him."
    "I'm using another one."
    "No, you're not. That'd be the second one in a row where you know the result. It's time to settle."
    "Okay, fine."

schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

...How so?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
Bren wrote:

...How so?
If damage x4 > Str = killed, a damage roll of 4 will kill someone with a soak roll of 15.

(4x4=16, 16>15, damage x4 > Str. Death.)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
schnarre wrote:
Bren wrote:

...How so?
If damage x4 > Str = killed, a damage roll of 4 will kill someone with a soak roll of 15.

A better way to express it would've been "Damage 4x > Strength = Killed".

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
schnarre wrote:
Bren wrote:

...How so?

Well, if you must correct the guy, that's not right either. Wink "Damage four times greater than or equal to Strength equals killed" doesn't make sense, either. The least confusing method of explaining it would be:

Damage > (4 x Strength roll) = Killed
(Damage greater than or equal to four times the Strength roll equals Killed.)

I do like the idea of making characters actually worry about getting shot. I'm not sure if I would do it this way (though I might). I know I've thought about doing away with the Dodge skill entirely (roll Dexterity only). I can expound on this if you guys want, but I don't want to derail this thread unless there's interest in further explanation. Point is: even in the movies, you either rely on cover or your opponents' bad aim to not take damage, not a grossly over-powered Dodge skill. You might see a character dive behind cover (<---notice, cover) or hit the deck, but you don't see Han (or anyone else) standing out in the middle of a large open space just blasting away and dancing around blaster bolts instead of seeking something to hide behind. I don't know about you guys, but because of the game mechanics, I often forget about trying to get behind cover at first if I have a decent Dodge skill, and I see it in other players as well.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I favor something similar to what schnarre proposed.

Damage as per RAW except, if

Damage x 2 ≥ soak roll = stunned.

Thus most shots will still stun a character, since a 4D blaster doubled averages 28 points. This should stun up to an 8D soak roll. But there is a chance that the shot won't stun e.g. STR 5D Wookiee on a FP.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
schnarre wrote:
Bren wrote:

...How so?

..That is indeed how it should have read! Matthias clears it up yet further (DMG roll equal or greater than 4x soak roll kills).
...Been sick recently & didn't have much opportunity to proofread. Thanks all! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: