The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

ON NO, LUCAS DOES IT AGAIN! New Revision to STAR WARS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> ON NO, LUCAS DOES IT AGAIN! New Revision to STAR WARS! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
I also have the 2004 widescreen DVD boxset (it was a gift), and I have the 1995 widescreen VHS editions as well. Very Happy I guess to be a true purist/fan though, I gotta bite the laserdisc bullet, though...long live the ORIGINAL original trilogy.

Why not get the 2006 Classic Trilogy DVD set that includes the original theatrical editions? That's got to be easier than biting the laserdisc bullet, right?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to do is convert my THX enhanced VHS tapes of the original trilogy into DVD. That way I have the nice crisp look, the awesome sound, and none of the changes. The 2006 DVDs have the crisp look and none of the changes, but they come across in 2 channel sound (for Star Wars, at least).
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
What I'd like to do is convert my THX enhanced VHS tapes of the original trilogy into DVD. That way I have the nice crisp look, the awesome sound, and none of the changes. The 2006 DVDs have the crisp look and none of the changes, but they come across in 2 channel sound (for Star Wars, at least).

I'm a music lover, and I have a lot of CDs. I have a nice-sounding Sony stereo, and I now also have a nice iPod (which I can plug into my stereo). One of my favorite genres is classic rock. When new digital remasters of my favorite 60's and 70's albums come out, I actually re-buy CDs I already own just to take full advantage of the sound quality provided by latest innovations in digital mastering.

Yet I also collect vinyl records, but my records just don't sit around collecting dust. I have a record player. When I'm in the mood, I get out a record and play it. I don't listen to vinyl for the best possible sound quality technology can provide. Part of the experience of listening to a record is the charm and nostalgia which comes from all the the snaps, crackles, pops, and even occasional skips. The imperfections from the technological limits of the previous era. The classics.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, listening to records, or even 8-tracks, can be a very specific experience even if better, clearer audio tracks are available. But when it comes to Star Wars, I want to really experience the sound with the classic trilogy. Since I know that superior sound was once on those classic trilogies, I want to experience that. I could watch the videos on my VHS player, but I'd rathr they were on DVD as that's much, much less likely to wear out compared to the VHS tapes.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the THX VHS tapes sound better than the 2006 DVDs of the original versions? I'll take your word for it because I can no longer compare. I got rid of my THX VHSs when the 2006 DVDs came out (I've always maintained posession the original versions of the classic fillms in one form or another, since 1987). Although they have changes, the blu-rays sound totally awesome on my TV. Since you won't be buying those, you'll just have to take my word on that. 8)

But I thought that the point of the 2006 original version releases was to be totally "nostalgic" with no technological advances applied since the original releases (besides putting them on the DVD format). That was the impression I got with them even restoring the opening crawl without the "Episode IV A New Hope".

That's along the lines of my record analogy. I honestly don't understand why anyone that wants to watch the original versions of the classic trilogy needs to have it look or sound any better than it did originally. Like it or not, it is a fact of life that Star Wars films evolve over time (like technology evolves). For those that prefer the original versions best, I would think that pre-1995 sound quality (pre-1995 THX remastering) would suffice.

I saw the original Star Wars film once in the theater in 1977, once on TV in the early-to-mid-80's, and 97 times on VHS from 1987-96 (yes, I am such a nerd that I counted). In 1997, my theatrical viewing of ANH SE was my 100th viewing of (some version of) the film. I only watched the SE until 2004 when I switched to the DVD version. But in 2006 when I got the original version on DVD, I wanted to go all nostalgic and watch the original version, which was my 100th time watching a pre-1997 version of the film. I watched it on a buddy's crappy TV because I didn't care about the latest advances in technology. I was watching a 1977 film from my childhood! When I want to hear a record, I play a record (with all of its imperfections). When I want technological improvement, I play a later version.

Although I have the 1997 two-disc expanded versions of all 3 classic trilogy soundracks on CD, I also have the original versions of the soundtracks, on three different formats. Star Wars is a double-vinyl record, Empire is a cassette tape, and Jedi is a CD. Evolution!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

THat is not too difficult to do. What you ould have to do would be to:

- record the VHS tapes into a digiatal format that uses high quality sound (5.1??9, then take just the audio track
-Rip the DVD to your hard drive
-use a good DVD authroing program to add the other audo track, and sych it up with the DVD video
-burn it to a DVD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: