The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Just what are the skills a Jedi must learn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Just what are the skills a Jedi must learn? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Just what are the skills a Jedi must learn? Reply with quote

Lightsaber (DEX), Jedi Lore (KNO), Lightsaber Technology (TEC), Control, Sense, and Alter.

Generally a character in the Old Republic would be given the trials for knighthood when all of these equaled 5D. A Knight could be considered for the council when all of these skills equaled 7D.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is your house rule?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a rule per se. Just a logical deduction of the skills from the RPG that would be taught to match what we saw in the movies. What does the list think?
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost think those numbers might be a little low. The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook says that Luke Skywalker had these skill levels as of the battle of Hoth:
Lightsaber 7D+2
Control 9D
Sense 7D
Alter 6D
Granted, he wasn't going through the "normal" Jedi training process in the Old Republic, but it seems to me like he would have been a little beyond 5D when he was first considered a Jedi Knight. Just my two cents...

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We based this on the idea that 5D is the skill of an expert. A Jedi with 5D in all these skills can crush any NPC character and most non-Jedi player characters. How many characters can stand up to 10D lightsaber?

You're right about WEG's RPG guidebooks, of course. We thought of that as game inflation. Although in Vader's case it might not be. Our characters never aquired those kinds of skill levels.
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsaber, Jedi Lore, Lightsaber Repair, Control, Sense, Alter
Should be the "core" stats. I think that 5D in each qualifies you for beeing called a "knight" (a newbie one, but a knight after all).

My jedi has (as "core" skills):
Dodge: you can't be a good jedi if you're one with the force literally)

Lightsaber: 2x the other stats... reason: In our games Lightsaber combat lets you deflect blaster bolts... and that's it. No +Sense, no +Control damage (damage is STR+5D). No -2D penalties, tough. It works like "roll at start of combat, it remains up till it ends"

Short Sprint [s]: sometimes i have to run to them... and what good is doing so if you trip each time? (it can get hard to run when you move x2, parry and deflect)

Jedi Lore: You're not a jedi if you don't know about jedi...

Law Enforcement: Old Republic, New Republic or whatever [s]: Jedi do police-like work after all

Willpower:
Bad guy: SURRENDER IMMEDIATLY!!!
Jedi: yes, im sory for trying to end your reign of terror, it won't happen again...
Plus it gives you more resistance to dark powers using Foce of Will.

Investigation: Considering you have to keep the peace in the galaxy, you will eventually need this; you may not roll for investigation even once in 41 adventures -not sessions- as i did, but it's worth it because you know your character can do it (we all know YOU can do it, thats the key to resolve non hack and slash adventures)

Persuasion: Useful if you do other stuff besides mind trick / chop in half people. It is nice to support your roleplaying with a roll too.

Jumping: I use to jump with TK. I know all jedi do... The gm uses to ask for jumping rolls too...

Lightsaber Repair: To become a jedi knight you have to build your own!!!

Control, Sense, Alter: Im sory, but if you do not have this, you're not a jedi, no matter what they say to you.
Take my sun away, away...
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know... i think your stats for a least your light saber should be higher before knight hood because at 5D for all of the core stats you can't do things like lightsaber combat very well.
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsaber = 2x (think i did not explain myself)

That would be 5D on control, alter, sense, jedi lore and LS repair
(enoght to get 21 to build a lightsaber, know some jedi stuff and pull most powers out) and 10D on lightsaber (actually i think 10D is a little overkill, 7D will suffice to hit most of the time).

My character has 9D+1 LS, 6D on force skills, 5D on LS repair (going to 6 when i raise my technical skill) and 6D on jedi lore
Take my sun away, away...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your ideas sounded reasonable. If you're looking for a lightsaber skill that means something; 6D+2 allows you to hit 50% of the time.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the original idea with the 5-6D in the skills. At the end of the old repubilc the new Jedi knights were not Skywalkers. They were not as "blessed/cursed" with the force. Galaxy guide 9: fragments from the rim Gives tests that should/could be given as the Jedi progresses.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a character who is a lightsaber engineer (Advanced skill). He can forge his own Adegan crystals for the padawans and attune them to their temperment (not to cross genres, but think of it like Harry Potter's "the wand chooses the wizard" thing).

Following the rules of WEG, you can improve a weapon's effectiveness by up to +1D+2. Therefore, if you have the most awesome Adegan crystals and the best possible materials and the leisure to put a saber together over the course of months, you could create a saber with a base damage stat of 7D+2. Now add your Force skill, and you have a sword that could, oh, I don't know... do something like melt it's way through the outer AND inner blast doors of the control deck on a Trade Federation Command ship.

Powerful? Oh yeah... But, if you can't control it, you will most certainly catastrophically injure or kill yourself. Which is why non-jedi don't typically use sabers (Saberrakes with their weak little weapons from "Lord of the Expanse" notwithstanding)...

But, then again, that's just my take on things...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never officially saw in lightsaber rules that one's choice in crystal increased the damage of their lightsaber. Only in an unofficial web book where even still, the most powerful crystal I saw, started at 5D+2. which would give you 7D+1 fully modified. But I never saw much use in modifying up a lightsaber, since you could simply keep raising your control to beef up damage.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a more powerful saber, by itself, is simply more dangerous to the uninitiated. But, more to the point, such weapons are the tinkerings of Jedi who wish to understand the simply elegant yet extremely deadly lightsaber.

Oh, and I think a series of skills that would also assist a jedi in a group are any control another's XYZ Force powers. Healing, pain control and the like may turn the jedi into a glorified medic, but the other characters would certainly believe in The Force and the jedi as well and seek to protect the character a bit more.

After all, jedi early on are kind of weak (especially with no lightsaber), but they can eventually develop into rulers/defenders of the galaxy.
Master Rizzy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knighthood skills in ym campign where 7D. I run a "so to speak" Epic campign now. My stats are as follows

control-13d
Senese-15D
Alter-19D it is my speacilty
Lightsaber-13D
dual lightsaber-17d

The storm troopers we face are not killed with ease either. They are a bit beefed up. 10D is there common stat. It is great fun.

has anyone here heard of jedi.net it is run just like this and even has the same smilys and all lol.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Force power lightsaber combat? The book says that if the roll for lightsaber combat is succesful, then the Jedi can add their sense dice to their lightsaber skill dice when rolling for attacks or for parrying. And it also seems this is used to also in the chances of parrying blaster bolts. So it seems that a Jedi not only needs to learn the lightsaber skill but the lightsaber combat Force power.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: