The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Your skill set
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Your skill set Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Your skill set Reply with quote

Some conversation in another thread got me thinking, what do people use as their personal skill set? Did you move skills around? Add new ones? Take some out.

For myself, I used to have a full skill list with my edits but I seemed to have lost it.... So I just go with whatever is on the "Complete Skill List" Pdf.
Though one thing I have done is added my custom martial arts as skills under Dexterity.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here: I lost all my house rules skills. Though, I do still have a bunch of advanced skills on my laptop that I use.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come again?? What are you trying to ask?
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What skills do you use for your games?

Have you added any? Taken any out? Changed some around?

Ex. I added Disguise under Perception, and Interrogation under Knowledge. As new skills.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big ones for me is that I moved Brawling to Dexterity (but damage is still STR based) and folded Brawling Parry and Melee Parry into Brawling and Melee Combat, respectively.

Another thing I've been working on is allowing character to use Knowledge skills almost like Enhance Attribute for skills with more practical application. For instance, if a character is trying a Con or Persuasion roll against, say, a clerk at the local DMV who also happens to be an alien, he could roll his Alien Species / Cultures / Bureaucracy skill and receive a bonus to Con. Not much of one, but enough to give Knowledge skills a bit more in the way of practical application.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come up with several.

My brother's character has a skill under Perception called Intuition, which allows him access to information he could not otherwise know, and gives me an excuse to tell him things in about the near future during narration.

I have considered running a mentalist character or two with advanced psychology skills, like hypnotism and things like that.

The character I used to play before I started to GM was interested in studying advanced physics in hopes of inventing new types of weapons and technology.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this thread
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32&highlight=beast+handling.

That has some i have made up.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know garhkal, one of the skills you came up with gave me an idea. Instruction.

Instead of the instruction skill, basically, if a character has 3D or more in a skill then another character they can teach that character the skill for half the value. Unless, let's say, it is a specialization.

Ex. Medicine(A) 9D, Teaching another Doctor who has Medicine (A) 3D. Makes it a normal skill. And normal skills specializations.

Still kinda a rough idea, gotta figure out the rough edges, but there it is.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i went that route, i could see both making a roll off.. if the trainee gets higher on the roll than the teacher, he learned nothing.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i went that route, i could see both making a roll off.. if the trainee gets higher on the roll than the teacher, he learned nothing.

Similar to the way an attribute is increased?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That way it is not always a certainty. I know several people who failed to grasp something a teacher was putting across.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've houseruled the skill list quite a bit (okay, I houseruled the CRAP out of it Very Happy), and am still looking at possible further modifications.

I've folded together:
- Hide and Sneak into Stealth;
- Con and Persuasion;
- all Attack and Parry skill pairs;
- Climbing/Jumping and Swimming into Athletics;
- Capital Ship Shields and Starship Shields into Shields, which also handles all other shields, be they mounted on a ground vehicle, powered armour or planet;
- Communications and Sensors into Electronics Operation, which also handles Electronic Warfare;

I've renamed Running into Gymnastics and made it a general skill for handling Running, Tumbling, Balance, Dance, Skating, Skiing and similiar activities.

I've renamed and generalised Search into Awareness.

I've added an Empathy skill under Percption for reading, understanding and "seeing through" people.

I've broken down the Medicine advanced skill into separate Physician (KNO), Pharmacy (TECH) and Surgery (TECH) advanced skills.

And quite a bit more, including almost completely changing how Advanced Skills work, creating my own Martial Arts system and allowing defaulting between related skills.

Currently I'm seriously considering folding the trinities of Starfighter, Space Transport and Capital Ship Piloting and Repair skills into single Starship Piloting and Starship Repair skills. You could object, calling up the difference between flying a tiny nimble fighter and a massive, ungainly ISD. But Ground Vehicles (and Repulsorlift and Hover ones too) get a single Piloting and a single Repair skill, and no-one complains (that I heard) about the difference between driving a quad motorcycle and a sandcrawler, for instance.
Mostly, I'd like for all similiar skills to have roughly the same level of abstraction. I get the point of view that Star Wars is mostly about starships and not cars, so they get more detail and attention. It simply doesn't feel right for me, though. I just really like my consistency, I guess.
- Tom Lehrer
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
I've houseruled the skill list quite a bit (okay, I houseruled the CRAP out of it Very Happy), and am still looking at possible further modifications.

I've folded together:
- Hide and Sneak into Stealth;
- Con and Persuasion;
- all Attack and Parry skill pairs;
- Climbing/Jumping and Swimming into Athletics;
- Capital Ship Shields and Starship Shields into Shields, which also handles all other shields, be they mounted on a ground vehicle, powered armour or planet;
- Communications and Sensors into Electronics Operation, which also handles Electronic Warfare;

I've renamed Running into Gymnastics and made it a general skill for handling Running, Tumbling, Balance, Dance, Skating, Skiing and similiar activities.

I've renamed and generalised Search into Awareness.

I've added an Empathy skill under Percption for reading, understanding and "seeing through" people.

I've broken down the Medicine advanced skill into separate Physician (KNO), Pharmacy (TECH) and Surgery (TECH) advanced skills.

And quite a bit more, including almost completely changing how Advanced Skills work, creating my own Martial Arts system and allowing defaulting between related skills.

Currently I'm seriously considering folding the trinities of Starfighter, Space Transport and Capital Ship Piloting and Repair skills into single Starship Piloting and Starship Repair skills. You could object, calling up the difference between flying a tiny nimble fighter and a massive, ungainly ISD. But Ground Vehicles (and Repulsorlift and Hover ones too) get a single Piloting and a single Repair skill, and no-one complains (that I heard) about the difference between driving a quad motorcycle and a sandcrawler, for instance.
Mostly, I'd like for all similiar skills to have roughly the same level of abstraction. I get the point of view that Star Wars is mostly about starships and not cars, so they get more detail and attention. It simply doesn't feel right for me, though. I just really like my consistency, I guess.

What do you call Con and Persuasion?

I like the idea of melding Climbing/Jumping and Swimming in a single skill. I may start using this.

As for melding together star ship skills into one. I can see advantages & disadvantages to doing so. First disadvantage is that you will end up with very skilled pilots very quickly. The advantage being that you streamline rolling, which makes it much easier for new players. Then for specializations, someone could specialize in one of the 3 original skills, Capital Ships, Space Transports, or Star Fighters.

I think it's a pretty good idea with some positive change.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
What do you call Con and Persuasion?

Just Con/Persuasion. I've thought about renaming it "Influence", but that doesn't quite properly reflect all I use this skil for, which includes bluffing, lying and impersonating. I'm still looking for a better name.

Raven Redstar wrote:
As for melding together star ship skills into one. I can see advantages & disadvantages to doing so. First disadvantage is that you will end up with very skilled pilots very quickly.

But, as I've said, why would I care about this if I don't care that the same is true for ground or repulsorlift or walker vehicles?

Raven Redstar wrote:
Then for specializations, someone could specialize in one of the 3 original skills, Capital Ships, Space Transports, or Star Fighters.

Exactly.
- Tom Lehrer
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:

I've already done this with no problems. I even made one inclusive gunnery skill that handles everything from mounted repeating blasters to superlasers. There's enough stuff going on in the cockpit that MAP enforcement can bring those skills back into check. For example, make them roll to find their opponents visually.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: