The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do we want from scinematic lightsaber combat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> What do we want from scinematic lightsaber combat? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: What do we want from scinematic lightsaber combat? Reply with quote

Still thinking about improving lightsaber combat.

As I posted ages ago I will run with a version of the Dueling Blades rules. The major difference, each combatant makes one attack and one defence roll instead of the each just rolling one 'skill roll' each round. This will open up for defensive and offensive options. Other thing I introduced was a larger spread of results. The idea of this thread is not to discuss rules, but discuss what we want certain rules to reflect.

To give anyone unfamilliar with the rules set an idea about what Im talking about. Both combatants make a skill test, in this case Lightsaber skill. The results are then compared on a table ranging perhaps from 1-15. You look up the number by which a combatant has beaten his opponent and get a result. For example A rolls 15 while B rolls 20, yielding a +5 result for B. Looking it up on the table it would probably say Push Back or something similar. If B had beaten A by 10+ the results would be more dire. You get the point.

Question: What types of results do we see in the movies that can be said to come from 'loosing combat' (ie, the opponent rolls higher when attacking). Apart from chopping arms and impaling I mean (ie full damage).

At the moment Im having these:
-Push back: Will move the opponent 2m backwards.
-Unbalanced: Opponent is at -1D for one round.
-Knock back: Push Back+Unbalanced
-Knock down: Knocked to ground+Unbalanced.

-Glancing hit: (This hit should either stun or cause a wound)
-Light hit: (wound or worse, restricted damage)
-Heavy hit: (full damage)
So. Any other ideas of 'cinematic' results to apply to the result chart? I think Id like one or two more. More than that and it becomes cumbersome.

Also, the penalties above are cumulative, to give you the opportunity to slowly wear down the opponent. However, there should perhaps be some ways to try to 'regain initiative', thereby not making loosing just a drawn out process. Im at a loss here.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsabers get knocked away or dropped pretty frequently.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about disengagement moves, where one of the combatants moves rapidly out of range, usually using a leap of some kind?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I came up with some rules for alternate combat results as part of my Dueling Sabers write-up here. Maybe you'll find something useful...

Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a kind of counter attack? That brings someone "to the defensive" that wasn't already?

Honestly I would always like to see the quick flurry of strikes you see in the newer films. Darth maul blocking three strikes extremely quickly, before sending out an attack of his own as a counter strike(Perhaps the defensive actions were leading to an opening?)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
Perhaps a kind of counter attack? That brings someone "to the defensive" that wasn't already?

Honestly I would always like to see the quick flurry of strikes you see in the newer films. Darth maul blocking three strikes extremely quickly, before sending out an attack of his own as a counter strike(Perhaps the defensive actions were leading to an opening?)

In one of my earlier attempts at a lightsaber dueling system, I included a Fast / Strong option alongside Offense / Defense. Basically, at the beginning of the round, the player picked whether the character was going to put emphasis on his Strength (bonus to damage, as well as physical attacks like push-backs or blade locks) or Speed (bonus applied to counter MAPs when making multiple actions). The bonus either way was a maximum of +2D, with five "setting" choices: Balanced, Strong, Fast, Very Strong, or Very Fast. I ended up discarding it because I didn't see how it would fit with the system I was developing, but the more I think about it, I can still see some good uses, especially if I follow through with my current experiment...

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I was thinking of that too, but given how RPGs work thought it was equal to automatic death the next round..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Bren wrote:

I was thinking of that too, but given how RPGs work thought it was equal to automatic death the next round..

It could be, but in the films, whoever still has the lightsaber usually finds a reason to hold off, be that because they are gloating or because they are the good guy showing mercy...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Obviously that can be a problem. But I'm not sure it is any more problematic that the FP multi-doubling that occurs under the RAW.

Weekend before last we had a lightsaber duel (my PC vs a minor force adept, lightsaber equipped Crimson Guard) and even with the reduced advantage that our house rule LS combat provides, it was still a big bucket o'dice for my character. My co-GM, who is more rules-light, narrative-story focused just went with a very fuzzy result rather than matching my large bucket o'dice vs the Guards smaller bucket o'dice. Essentially, combat defaulted to the guy with the most FPs (my PC) outlasting the Guard - with the intervening rounds during which he still had FPs also serving to eliminate the near-human mooks that were assisting the Crimson Guard. While this was fine for this particular combat, I don't see it as a generally effective tactical combat mechanic.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Bren wrote:

It could be, but in the films, whoever still has the lightsaber usually finds a reason to hold off, be that because they are gloating or because they are the good guy showing mercy...

Soooo, all we need is now a gloating/mercy mechanic... Laughing
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Soooo, all we need is now a gloating/mercy mechanic... Laughing
That's easy.

Give the villain a gloating/mercy 'skill' level. He then rolls his gloating/mercy vs. his willpower. If the roll succeeds, he must pause one round to gloat over his victim rather than attacking. If the roll suceeds by 10 or more points, he must not only gloat for one round, but he must now try to capture the victim. If he succeeds in capturing the victim, he must make a second gloating/mercy roll vs his willpower. If this second roll succeeds then he will gloat and reveal his secret plan while placing the captive in a 'fool-proof death trap" just before the villain leaves. If the second gloating/mercy roll suceeds by 10 or more points then instead of placing the captive in a 'fool-proof death trap' the villain will have the victim locked away in a cell that either has a secret exit, a helpful cell mate, or that is guarded by a minimum number of gullible guards.* Laughing

* If Gullible Guards Stats aren't in the long list of NPC stats, I'm sure they will soon be forthcoming. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok, very funny. Wink

But laughing aside, the point remains. Look at all the instances in the films where a character with a lightsaber was disarmed by someone with another lightsaber, and yet survived, usually because the villain decided to toy with their opponent before finishing him off.

Perhaps a better rule would be to grant the evil opponent extra DSPs if he holds off on killing his seemingly helpless victim before delivering the final blow. Perhaps that moment of despair and helpless anger at the moment of death is particularly empowering to a Sith or other Dark Sider?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or what the Sith is trying to do is increase the chance to turn the Jedi. The process being to exhaust the Jedi's FPs. That way when the Jedi has no more FPs and is disarmed* the Jedi's only effective choices become:
(1) surrender;
(2) die;
(3) give in to his fear, anger, or hate and call on the Dark Side to get a "free" FP.

* If the Jedi is disarmed and has FPs remaining, presumably he uses a FP to be able to call his lightsaber back and continue the fight before the Dark Sider can kill him.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a case of social conflict mixed with physical conflict. The Jedi is trying to redeem the darksider by showing him the value of mercy and restaint, while the darksider tries to prove to the Jedi that the Dark side is stronger.

RE: What I want from cinematic lightsaber duels:

I want a fight that will take several rounds to conclude, and with some method to track who is winning other than somebody betting cut down by a lightsaber.

I want to be able to build excitement and tension by watching one side work up an "advatage" during the fight.

I ant PCs and signficant NPCs to be able to have a chance of breaking off from the fight and fleeing, rather than every duel ending in death, or capture.

I want the combatants to move around the setting, ather than just standing still and trading blos. And I want the rules to encourange movement

I want there to be some sort of maneuvers. It doesn't have to be a detailed blow-by-blow account, but at least something that gives a feel for how the fight is going.

I want the rules to at least give a nod to the Lightsaber Forms.

I want it to be simple, inuitive, play fast, and mostly compatible with the RAW.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you covered nearly all the goals that matter to me.

One additional that I don't think you explicitly covered, I would like a cinematic duel to not just default to the loser is the one who runs out of FPs first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: