The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force power to augment armors and weapons that isn't dark?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Force power to augment armors and weapons that isn't dark? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
The major advantage of strenght from all that I have seen is to beat down your opponents defenses. Even with a lightsaber you still have to be able to withstand you opponents strenght when parrying..

Not true. Parrying can include simply avoiding the opponent's weapon and many other tricks to ensure you don't get hit.

Not, not true... Rolling Eyes

It can include simply avoiding oppnents weapons, but we do see a lot of heavy swings parried in the movies..
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In kendo, parries are designed to avoid clashing blades. They're very expensive and difficult to make, by relative value they're worth as much as a house. Samurai do not clash blades.

And the sniper's code, was from the samurai. One sword, one life, one cut. Translates to modern snipers one shot one kill philosophy.

It means you don't parry, you kill.

What appears to be parries are in fact following your enemy's blade back home. You may deflect with the flat of the blade but the purpose will always be to slide back up along the arms of the attacker, so that you sidestep his blow, whip your blade up over his and cut his arms off.

Stuff like that, it looks like parries and butterfly blades and everything at the seminars, but if you break it down, they don't parry by clashing blades, it's all about positioning, balance and motion.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
In kendo, parries are designed to avoid clashing blades. They're very expensive and difficult to make, by relative value they're worth as much as a house. Samurai do not clash blades.

And the sniper's code, was from the samurai. One sword, one life, one cut. Translates to modern snipers one shot one kill philosophy.

It means you don't parry, you kill.

What appears to be parries are in fact following your enemy's blade back home. You may deflect with the flat of the blade but the purpose will always be to slide back up along the arms of the attacker, so that you sidestep his blow, whip your blade up over his and cut his arms off.

Stuff like that, it looks like parries and butterfly blades and everything at the seminars, but if you break it down, they don't parry by clashing blades, it's all about positioning, balance and motion.

The only difference being that lightsabers hold up to parrying...and parries are often done in a 'clashing' way... (just look at the Luke/Vader fight in RotJ).. Parrying and avoiding is often done in combination...especially in the later movies at least.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As archetypteral characters, effectively Luke, Darth, Obi Wan, etc. are all mythological figures in a tale of gods and wizards and demons.

We should not study too closely the choreography of the movies, since they didn't even get a decent expert until the prequels, and even then went with flashy showmen over brutal combat vets.
It's theatre. The story isn't.

If you're going to actually make lightsabre combat a rules based mechanical system, you really must depart the visual spectacle that choreographed cinematography is designed to achieve. It is specifically designed not to work in combat. But to work on the screen.

What is actually written on the script are things like "Luke smashes the circuitry inside Vader's arm with the force of his angry blows"

and if you get choreographer (a) he says, okay Mark you have to sidestep, Dave you move like this, now Mark you push forwards and swing like this, now he's out of balance and both your weight will create the force of impact, thus a blow capable of smashing the arm trying to parry it.

realistic.

or, choreographer (b) he says, Mark, give me lots of emotion on your face, now zoom the camera in, Dave just hold your arm up buddy, okay Mark now slap that exposed blade like a dominatrix pal.

not so realistic, but nice and theatrical.

yet both represent the same description of combat.
That leaves us pretty free to develop fairly sound mechanics of our own, to fill those storytelling descriptions of combat.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
they didn't even get a decent expert until the prequels,

Uh, while I get your overall point about theater v.s. realism, legendary fight choreographer Bob Anderson at least qualifies as decent.

Complete Starship Construction System
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the swordwork in the OT at all. Some bits in the Prequels I liked.

I liked the way the Bourne fight scenes were done, there was an example of an inexperienced combatant performing well choreographed moves, sometimes speedframed but still the moves were sound and it looked realistic and gritty, with good camera work and lighting.

I think you can get the theatre, with realism. I prefer that.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
I didn't like the swordwork in the OT at all.
But...But....But....Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fight i liked in the OT was RoTJ on the death star 2.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But...But....But....Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Shocked

I second the opinion. I think Lukes's final string of attacks is one of my favorite sword sequences ever in movie history.

Mostly though, I was just pointing out that Bob Anderson, as IMDB puts it: "Is arguably the most legendary of sword-fight trainers/choreographers, having trained everyone from Errol Flynn to the cast of the Lord of the Rings film trilogy."
(emphasis mine)

He was an Olympic fencer and a WWII vet and while I'm young and strong and confident with a blade, rather than duel Bob Anderson, I'd run home and cry to my mama.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
As archetypteral characters, effectively Luke, Darth, Obi Wan, etc. are all mythological figures in a tale of gods and wizards and demons.

We should not study too closely the choreography of the movies, since they didn't even get a decent expert until the prequels, and even then went with flashy showmen over brutal combat vets.
It's theatre. The story isn't.

If you're going to actually make lightsabre combat a rules based mechanical system, you really must depart the visual spectacle that choreographed cinematography is designed to achieve. It is specifically designed not to work in combat. But to work on the screen.

What is actually written on the script are things like "Luke smashes the circuitry inside Vader's arm with the force of his angry blows"

and if you get choreographer (a) he says, okay Mark you have to sidestep, Dave you move like this, now Mark you push forwards and swing like this, now he's out of balance and both your weight will create the force of impact, thus a blow capable of smashing the arm trying to parry it.

realistic.

or, choreographer (b) he says, Mark, give me lots of emotion on your face, now zoom the camera in, Dave just hold your arm up buddy, okay Mark now slap that exposed blade like a dominatrix pal.

not so realistic, but nice and theatrical.

yet both represent the same description of combat.
That leaves us pretty free to develop fairly sound mechanics of our own, to fill those storytelling descriptions of combat.

Theres a lot of not so realistic things in the movies, and they are still in the game...
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them too emotional. In combat/sparring if you don't direct all that into physical action without letting it sit in your brain you're buggered.

It's like that 70s action movie meme of pulling a magnum and saying a one-liner. The 80s action update was when the new style of hero rapidfires a beretta before blinking and saying, "shoot next time, don't talk."

OT is 70s style action, just with swords instead of guns. Movements are constrained and always against the stream, the action is in the dialogue.
Not my style when weapons are drawn, that's time to be quiet and do the job simply and quickly.

then run home and cry to momma Very Happy

When I'm watching it all I can think about is how differently I'd have choreographed it.
And if the final word was given by GL as to how the choreography has to look, then Bob was just doing the best he could with impossible demands, GL is more the choreographer in that case, that's probably what I was picking up on.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
It's like that 70s action movie meme of pulling a magnum and saying a one-liner. The 80s action update was when the new style of hero rapidfires a beretta before blinking and saying, "shoot next time, don't talk."
And in the 90s and 00s we got the hold the gun sideways style of dumb @ss shooting.

Quote:
When I'm watching it all I can think about is how differently I'd have choreographed it.
But would that have been understood and appreciated by the audience?

In my opinion, jerky action speedframe fighting is a cinematic eyesore. Personally, I would like to be able to tell who is winning, who is losing, and why so that the combat has some dramatic meaning - I don't want a fast motion blur of flailing limbs with someone falling over at the end.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The only difference being that lightsabers hold up to parrying...and parries are often done in a 'clashing' way... (just look at the Luke/Vader fight in RotJ).. Parrying and avoiding is often done in combination...especially in the later movies at least.

Indeed. I've heard it said many times that lightsaber combat is more akin to kendo than it is to fighting with an actual samurai sword, as the kendo sword is cylindrical, and has no actual "edge", just like a lightsaber.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kendo bamboo shinai clacks very loudly when it hits something, designed for this purpose.
If it clacks because you hit a sword and not your opponent, you lose the bout.
You may deflect, sidestep, redirect, but never clash swords. Cardinal rule of Japanese sword fighting.

When kendo practitioners spar with wooden bokken however you can get away with a bit of sword nudging. It's cheating.

True then, that in real combat with live blades you might do this. After all who wants to get hit, right? But, what would be worse is standing there with a hilt and your blade shattered in half, now your enemy has about a metre reach over you and there aint no way you're escaping combat now.

Anyone remember the Young Readers Edition Star Wars published 1978?
GL described a moment, the only time during the Obi Wan/Vader battle that they clashed lightsabres fully, not just deflection hits.
He said, their power units and energy emitters were working hard to override each other, that each blade was trying to destroy the other's functionality, like two electrical circuits clashing and trying to earth out on each other.
Gawd I hope I'm remembering the right book, I also read ESB when that movie came out so it might've been in the Luke/Vader fight. It's definitely in one of them.

Anyone got that book? Can you give me a direct quote, I was in Grade 4 primary school when I last read it. Definitely went like that though.

Food for thought?

I'm thinking like, don't cross the streams man.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
The kendo bamboo shinai clacks very loudly when it hits something, designed for this purpose.
If it clacks because you hit a sword and not your opponent, you lose the bout.
You may deflect, sidestep, redirect, but never clash swords. Cardinal rule of Japanese sword fighting.

That's because the edges of both swords would be brutally notched by a clash, and katanas were too valuable to just give up on with each duel. That is a problem lightsabers do not have.
vanir wrote:

Anyone remember the Young Readers Edition Star Wars published 1978?
GL described a moment, the only time during the Obi Wan/Vader battle that they clashed lightsabres fully, not just deflection hits.
He said, their power units and energy emitters were working hard to override each other, that each blade was trying to destroy the other's functionality, like two electrical circuits clashing and trying to earth out on each other.
Gawd I hope I'm remembering the right book, I also read ESB when that movie came out so it might've been in the Luke/Vader fight. It's definitely in one of them.

Anyone got that book? Can you give me a direct quote, I was in Grade 4 primary school when I last read it. Definitely went like that though.

Food for thought?

I'm thinking like, don't cross the streams man.

Lightsabers are said to only release significant amounts of power when the blade is in contact with an object. I think that's what that section of book was getting at. (Not that each lightsaber has a small monkey brain on a testosterone drip, which gets angry when another lightsaber is near and seeks to destroy it... Very Happy )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: