The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sublight vs. Atmospheric Drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sublight vs. Atmospheric Drive Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I read recently that Ion engines are 'mildly' radioactive when used in the atmosphere. Dont remember where though...most likely WookieP.

Ah, here it is.. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_drive

From the linked article
Quote:
Ion engines were known to emit mildly radioactive byproducts, requiring onboard technicians to wear protective gear.
Two thoughts:

(i) I don't recall anyone on the Millenium Falcon wearing any protective gear.
(ii) Radioactive byproducts = super powers. 8)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Wookieepedia probably got their source from the opening chapter of the Star Wars Sourcebook (pg. 8, column 1, paragraph 4)

Bren wrote:
Two thoughts:

See the above. The mild radiation is only dangerous at "extremely close range." Presumably, this means someone standing behind the engine exhaust without wearing any sunscreen. And the interior of the ship is likely shielded against any radiation (which is in turn vented and focused out the exhausts).

Quote:
(ii) Radioactive byproducts = super powers. 8)

The Force is finally explained!!!! :D

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
Two thoughts:

See the above. The mild radiation is only dangerous at "extremely close range." Presumably, this means someone standing behind the engine exhaust without wearing any sunscreen. And the interior of the ship is likely shielded against any radiation (which is in turn vented and focused out the exhausts).
I'm just going with the linked article which mentioned "requiring onboard technicians to wear protective gear" not just people outside of the ship and behind the engines.

Now maybe the article should have said "Ion engines were known to emit mildly radioactive byproducts, requiring onboard technicians to wear protective gear when working on the engines while they are operating," but I'm just working with what I was given.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sublight vs. Atmospheric Drive Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Just had an idle thought. What happens if a starship uses its sublight drive while still in atmosphere? IIRC, it has been mentioned once or twice in the EU, and it certainly brings to mind the final scenes of the pilot episode of Firefly. Ideally, I'd like some idea of a good baseline for increased difficulty, so that a skilled pilot could pull this off, but not just anyone fresh from pilot training.

EDIT: Also for the kinds of atmospheric effects that might occur to other nearby vessels when this happens...

I actually thought this was something similar to a Kolvoord Starburst where the Firefly crew were igniting incompletely burned fuel left in their wake with their engines rather than just the side effect of using a sublight drive in atmosphere.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. But I in turn refer to the "extremely close range" part. Extremely close, IMO, means closer than most girls usually go on the first date. Since we never even see the ion drive inside the Falcon, we can only guess at how close one would have to get to it to be in danger of radiation poisoning.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find your last comment...disturbing.

Extremely close sounds like closer than point blank, like say within 1 unit in space.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Extremely close, IMO, means closer than most girls usually go on the first date.

Surprised What does that mean?

Is it dirty? Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Extremely close, IMO, means closer than most girls usually go on the first date.

Surprised What does that mean?

Is it dirty? Wink

LOL. When I work on my car, I have to open the hood and get my hands down inside to do what needs to be done. I spend a lot of time in close physical contact with that car's innards. You may infer whatever you wish from that statement.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Extremely close sounds like closer than point blank, like say within 1 unit in space.

Which is still pretty far away by atmospheric standards.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

You're addressing the problem from a modern physics standpoint and ignoring the fact that we are playing in a sci-fi universe which has technobabble fixes for this stuff: navigation shielding (aerodynamics and protection from friction) and acceleration compensators (protects the frame from stress too, not just the pilot.

I am also addressing it from the standpoint that it was not done in the RPG nor the films. If it could be done it would open up another can of worms. Those fleeing a planet would do it habitually.

Quote:

And just saying No and ignoring it ignores at least one instance in the EU where it has actually happened

Yes, an that is a good thing. The authors of EU fiction often have thier own take on things that doesn't match up with official info, or even with other parts of the EU. So I think ignoring it is best.

If you really want to do this, and are assuming the ship can take the stresses, then I would look at the ratio between Space and kph, and treateach point of Space movement as several steps up on the speed table.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I am also addressing it from the standpoint that it was not done in the RPG nor the films. If it could be done it would open up another can of worms. Those fleeing a planet would do it habitually.

Unless it is so amazingly hazardous / difficult that only a Jedi or an exceptionally skilled pilot could pull it off. Since the only quotable example I can find involved Luke, that is the direction I'm leaning. It might even be the sort of maneuver that has acquired its own nickname, like "The Wroonian Firework" (which is what your ship resembles to spectators who happen to see you attempt this maneuver and fail spectacularly). I'm not looking for something that everyone can do habitually; I'm looking for something that is a last-ditch, spend a Force Point and break out your lucky D6 type maneuver that is only used when you absolutely, positively have to get the F off Tatooine in 30 seconds or less...

Quote:
If you really want to do this, and are assuming the ship can take the stresses, then I would look at the ratio between Space and kph, and treateach point of Space movement as several steps up on the speed table.

Which brings up another point. Is there a RAW for how long it takes for a ship to go from liftoff to orbit?

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a benchmark in one rule book that it was 50 space units to clear hyperspace...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Which brings up another point. Is there a RAW for how long it takes for a ship to go from liftoff to orbit?

No, I don't think so, but it wouldn't be too long. The Space Shuttle used to do it in under 10 minutes (low orbit).

Actual time would depend on how fast the ship can travel, how strong a planet's gravity is, and the ship can cacnel with repulsorlift.

Since Low Earth Orbit is considered to begin about 160km (100 miles) up, you could get a benchmark figure by dividing 160km by the ships atmospheric speed, in kph.So a T-65 X-Wing that can travel at 1050 kph could reach low orbit in about 9 minutes and 9 seconds.

For other planets you could use 160 times the gravity of the planet.

You might also want to reduce this time a bit, since the X-Wing might travel faster that 1050kph as it goty higher in the atmosphere. Ultimately it would end up moving at SPACE 8.

But, according to the acceleration ratings given for the ships, they could reach orbit in under a second assuming the ship can take it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
But, according to the acceleration ratings given for the ships, they could reach orbit in under a second assuming the ship can take it.

Dont get me started on those.. Laughing Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, a simpler method would be to base time from atmosphere to orbit on the ship's Space value, since Atmosphere is generally a direct conversion. Start with a base number, such as 20, then subtract the ship's Space value from that number. The resulting number is the number of rounds needed for the ship to go from lift-off to orbit. For example, a stock YT-1300 would need 16 rounds (20 minus Space 4), while an A-Wing would only need 8 rounds (20 minus Space 12). The speed multipliers (Cautious, Cruise, Full and All-Out) could then be applied inversely to the number of rounds required, so that an A-Wing flying at Cruise would require the full 8 rounds to get into Space, but would only require 2 rounds if flying at All-Out, with fractions rounded up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: