The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Comedy Adventure - Advice and seeds needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Comedy Adventure - Advice and seeds needed Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Comedy Adventure - Advice and seeds needed Reply with quote

I have just finished running a very long and intensive Vampire the Masquerade game and I am looking for something a little lighter.

My players and I were reading a lot of Darths and Droids during this time and what folk seem to want is a Star Wars game that's light hearted and fun. They also have seen the dubbed star wars, Geordie Star Wars.

I am planning on basing it just around New Hope where one of my players, a Jawa, and survivor of the stormtrooper attack, finds Obi-Wan's hut and after some reading is fully convinced it's a jedi.

Meta gaming, min maxing and out of character conversations are all encouraged for this silliness and it's to take place on the desert planet (possibly ending with obtaining a ship if the adventure is to continue, it's meant to be shortish)

Now my main concern is that comedy comes easily to our gaming group, and yes, we even had many laughs with the "horror" game V:tM that I was running, however I am fully aware that when you try to make a comedy game it can often been quite the opposite.

I have the right group (and they couldn't care less about one character being more powerful than another), the right books (thanks ebay) but I would really like the advice of this forum for some comedy star wars tips so nothing feels forced or just falls flat.

I'm after amusing rather than belly laughs

for eg

Jawa Padawan/forcesensitive (inspired by some awesome fan art)

HK-47 hiding for years in the shell of a Gonk droid

Space Captain gets foot removed in blast door to be replaced with a shopping trolly wheel which squeaks and makes stealth quite hard as well as making him veer to the right (this actually happened to a guy in a sw game I played in)
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm a big fan of the classic World of Darkness. I've been playing since the late days of 1st edition.

My ideas (For what its worth):

I love the Jawa Jedi idea, now all you need to do is create an arch nemisis for him. Darth Darth Binks comes to mind, . . .

If you are looking for in-universe inspiration, look up the Tag & Bink comics, or even the Tales comics. The Tag & Bink stuff is great, and while the Tales series is a wide range of materials, most issues had at least one or two stories that were pretty funny.

Have you ever played Fallout? I'm, talking about the first and second game more than 3 and New Vegas. Remember how they had those painfully obvious references to Star Trek, Monty Python, etc? Often working thise kinds of things into the story is good for a few chuckles. Set down for an afternoon to watch Firefly/Serenity, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Spaceballs, Red Dwarf, Hyperdrive, or even the early Star Trek for inspiration.

Maybe have your group encounter a second group of characters that seem remarkably like their characters from V:tM.

Give out CPs for making the GM laugh at something done in game. Give these CPs out instantly. This will encourage rediculous behavior from your players.

Another thing you can try. Make a small deck of cards. At any time, your players may spend one CP to draw a card. All cards MUST be played instantly. I've done this once with good results, but I wouldnt EVER want to run a long term game like this.
Some card ideas:
-Make one attack roll against anyone/anything. Add 10D to the damage result.
-Inspired. Add 5D to any skill check.
-Stimpack! Gain 10 temporary wounds (Additional wonds are lost at the rate of one per turn until status is normal.)
-Look what I found! Select any item in the core book and add it to your inventory.
-God Mode! Player ignores all damage for the next three turns.
-Overload. Select one blaster in the local area. This blaster instantly overloads doing X damage to its owner and destroying the weapon instantly.
-Signpost. Player may ask the GM any one game related question that must be answered.
-Bad Ash. Create an evil version of the character who just drew the card. GM controls this new NPC and should introduce it as soon as possible.
-Seeking Balance in the Force. Select one living creature in sight, that character now has the same number of wounds as the player. (Great way to heal friends, or injure enemies. Just hope that you arent badly hurt with no enemies around.)
Make sure to have +25 cards. Once your players start using them, the pile will start shrinking fast.

If you already have a group that makes games funny, let them! If they know its not going to be a serious game, let them do what they want while you set back and try to contain the chaos that ensues!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my funniest experience in game was one time when I had to get aboard an asteroid mining post and gather some information or other. When my fancy, expensive looking ship docked, there were naturally more questions than what I wanted to answer, so a played the spoiled and incompetent son of the CEO of the wrong mining corporation. I just played it to the hilt, acting as if I expected him to do as I demanded anyway. I let him think I was out pretending to be a real space pilot and just made myself so infuriatingly stupid and self centered that he left me alone. Once I set off an alarm while slicing a computer terminal in the control center. When the commander came running over to check on the alarm, I explained angrily that I kept logging in using my dad's password and his defective terminal wouldn't work.

I don't know if that anecdote helps, but I hope you find some way of replicating the hilarity!

Complete Starship Construction System
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies! (and sorry for the double thread, don't know how that happened)

Working title for the campaign is the grammatically incorrect "Jawas and Jedis".

First session/storyline would of course have to be "Pin the tail on the Bantha" - yeah that's right, I'm running a game where I have a title before a story...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:

First session/storyline would of course have to be "Pin the tail on the Bantha" - yeah that's right, I'm running a game where I have a title before a story...
That's okay. If your going for comedy, blindfold a kid, spin him around, hand him something sharp and tell him to stick stuff with it. Works every time!

Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also thinking of randomly adding in a very lost Vulcan somewhere in the desert, who doesn't know how or why he got there but logically the only answer must lie solely on the shoulders of JJ Abrams.

A lost princess in need of rescue who turns out to be an amorous Whipid.

And

Blatantly stealing the whole Beru and Owen's domestic troubles from the video meme Troops.

[anyone know how to delete a double thread, I'm feeling somewhat embarrassed about it - I blame my sub par tablet...]
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to drop a thread, I'd try contacting an administrator. If you explain the situation, they should be happy to help you out.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my players have an incline on what they are playing.

If course they all want to be at least force sensitive, or as my darth's and droids fan says

I don't want to be a jedi I just want to be able to cast Summon Bigger Fish

-to which I replied

There's not many uses for that in a desert setting

-and his reply

I summon bigger sandworm then! The SPICE MUST FLOW.

and the madness starts here.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I've wanted to run a slap-stick style comedy adventure, which I thought of after coming up with a title.

The players are Rebels who need to infiltrate a high society party, as the guest speaker is a leading Imperial who may reveal information vital to the rebels plans, if approached correctly (i.e. drunk or seduced).

The players are to pose as the band, booked as either last minute replacements for Max Rebo, or as his new backing band (after sabotaging the original line up).

The guest speaker turns out to be none other than Darth Vader himself.

I cam up with the basic outline after thinking of the tite: Sith, Darth and Rock & Roll.

I have never run it, but it's been sitting in my brain pan for about 17 years now!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
The guest speaker turns out to be none other than Darth Vader himself.

Whenever I see a post like this right after I get off Facebook, I go slightly insane looking for the "Like" button. Smile

Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been on for about a week, and after reading a few things I'd missed on the forum, did the self same thing.

I almost posted up asking where the like button had gone!!
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaguely on topic, I watched the Lego Star Wars short The Padawan Menace last night, and though that the Lego Star Wars universe has a fair few things that could be used to inspire a comedy campaign.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I'm going to run as close to A New Hope as possible, starting in the Cantina scene.

Difference being, Han WILL shoot second, and be shot because of it.
Chewie will go into a rage and end up being taken away by animal control

The droids will be destroyed in a shoot out.

An old wizard will pass on important info to players (so far consisting of a jawa padawan and an ewok with a pet rancor [going to disguise the ewok by shaving it and robing it like a fellow jawa - the rancor might be a bit trickier...] before succumbing to his weak heart.

A farmboy will decide that perhaps he better return to the pawn shop and see if he can't get his speeder back.

I fully expect my players to loot everything and get the "car keys" to the falcon.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaved Ewok, . . . boy, thats going to itch when it starts growing back.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Shaved Ewok, . . . boy, thats going to itch when it starts growing back.

The other player, a gand, already wants to skin it and put an ewok rug in its kids bedroom/stuffed teddy bear.

Not surprising really.

The players have already got a combo move where the Gand (strength 5+) helps the toydarian (Str1) gain altitude whilst carrying the jedi ewok and jawa, who then uses these little space ninja as jedi bombs whilst flying away to safety.

They are all taking the non-serious aspect of this game to heart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: