The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The great space race..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The great space race..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: The great space race.. Reply with quote

I am looking for yet another module to write, one which is more dice intensive than normal, but is NOT combat dice intensive..

I plan on it being a 3 part module.. each ending with the group picking up one of the 3 set piece 'flags' or other items to find.

Part 1 i was looking to start out on tatooine, with the hutts and a local imp moff greeting all the participants and giving the briefing on the race.
Then straight into it.

The first part (module), would have 3 legs, but leg 1 has 3 parts..
Part 1 is a running roll to get to beasts of burden, that you (2)ride to the space port, to then take off, to way point 1.
leg 2 is an asteroid run with imp ships watching (and news ships showing the race). Any crashes in the field are immediately picked up by the imp ships, and repaired (20 man crew), but that ship/team are penalized by a 2 hour lag.
Way point 2 from there MIGHT have some sort of time filler if needed.
Then to WP 3, with a list of buildings on a planet where the 'flags' maybe hidden in (investigations, sneak, search) to locate it an finally another running area, where you go from there to the 'finish line.

Part 1 trip times tallied.. lead board posted.

Part 2 starts on same planet, with each team given a task of repairing THEIR choice of 3 vehicles.
Ground.. slow but the ground route has little in the way of obsticles to hinder movement.
Hover/low level repulsor. Faster, but has more to hinder.
High level (flight ceiling) repulsor, even more fast, but with more to hinder.

This gets you to the other space port, where your ship was 'tug boated' too, and some more repairs to make (an independent team got on and disassembled critical areas. Poss search and command use here to coordinate getting your parts back..
Then onto the race to space (with ships with powered down lasers shooting.. as the ship 'racks the damage up' inhibiters kick in to lessen your flight capacity.
Then the hypering to way point 4. onto some junk dealers, to get some key components for finding flag 2 (bargain, con, command, persuasion).
Then hypering to way point 5, for a imp inspection site (and removal of the inhibors/sensor stuff from earlier). bureaucracy/persuasion/bribes may help get this fast tracked...

then to Imp space station XYZ (decommed, to go ZERO G through to find the safe zone to locate flag 2.
Finally down to the planet, where you use repulsor skiffs (all teams have the same one assigned) to make a fast race run to the finish line for part 2.. maybe with some shooting/throwing of stuff to make it harder.

Then onto part 3 (the grand finale).. Leg 1 takes you to planet X where you need to use either the provided archaic ship/airspeeder to fly through markers 1-6, or barter/con/bribe locals to use their ones to complete it (flat out stealing them not allowed). A sort of obstcle course at the end to 'run through' to again some beasts of burden, or alternate jet packs, to use to get back to the initial entrance point.. then a 'gauntlet of salad, egg, glop grenade tossing that you have to 'weather' to get back to ship...
Then leg 2 takes you to another asteroid field, but this one has targets you also have to shoot down.. each missed target (if you pass it you can't shoot it any more) adds X time to your overall time for this event.
Then to the hyper point to the next place to find flag 3. (not sure what to make it, but am thinking lots of climbing, accrobatic/athletic areas), then back to tatooine where you have your final beast riding and running back to the initial starting point..

Winning team gets 250k credits and bragging rights (along with maybe some other stuff)
2nd place, gets 100k
3rd gets 50k..

Was looking to place 4-6 opponent teams in, which the other players on the table could make rolls for to see how "THEY do".

Well, what do you think for the outline.?

Any add ons/changes to make??
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if instead of Imperials officially backing the race it was more like Canonball Run where there's "sponsors" that might support the racers in some way but the end goal is to smuggle something from point A to point B? The racers would have the additional difficulty of avoiding Imperials lest they be held up or arrested.

The reason for the convoluted path of the "race" is to avoid detection by authorities. The "race" might have an official cover as a race but in reality is a smuggling run. That way news ships might still want to follow and cover the racers but the racers might try to ditch them to make their illicit cargo drop-off.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that, but with the publicity i am thinking of for it, that type of stuff may make things impossible to try.
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you did want to include a smuggling bit you could have the PCs approached by some smuggler and there just happens to be a cargo they can pick up and then deliver on the race route. If they can ditch the cameras/observers long enough they can make their drop. That would take time and maybe penalize them in the race. The smuggling contract might offer payment that is some significant fraction of the race's prize.

I like the idea of a race to give players a nice non-combat skill exercise. I usually come up with something lame like exploring some ruins or something of that sort. I may use some of the race ideas myself.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news... Since this module (well three pack) is for our convention group, there is already a module in the mix called great space race... so i need new ideas for what to call it.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a few that are take offs or rip offs of racing movie names:

All In
And They’re Off
Champions or The Champ
Dead Heat
Down the Stretch
Fast Company
The Homestretch
The Lasercannon Run
The Longshot
Neck and Neck
Off and Running
Redline or Redline 7000
Speed to Burn
Speedzone
Thunderbolt
Vanishing Point
Winners Circle
You Can’t Buy Luck
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh.. i like the lazor cannon run...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbolazor Run
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Turbolazor Run
Isn't that the sequel? Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with laser cannon rally.. based off the film gumball rally.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumball Rally... I haven't seen that in years.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it was the early 90s when i last saw it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: