The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wanted: Jedi PC. Experienced Gamers Only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Wanted: Jedi PC. Experienced Gamers Only.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Wanted: Jedi PC. Experienced Gamers Only. Reply with quote

So, anyone who has been reading my recent posts knows that I think WEG did a real hack job on turning Jedi into PCs. They handicapped them, dumbed them down, and basically turned the superhuman guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy into the party cleric, who casts spells from behind the protection of the bounty hunter and the smuggler.

In working on my own version of the Force that is, IMO, closer to what we see in the films, I've had to consider a lot of changes. The one thing I have decided for certain is that Force users shouldn't be played by inexperienced gamers. Since Jedi are so much more powerful and complex than the average PC, IMO, they should only be played by players who have demonstrated the maturity required to play such a complex character.

This doesn't have to take away from the Star Wars feel of the game. Even before the EMpire, Jedi were exceedingly rare, so much so that a person could potentially live their entire lives without ever even being on the same planet as a Jedi.

I'm typing this up on an iPhone, and the idea isn't fully formed yet, but I would appreciate the Forum's input.[/list]

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played numerous Jedi over my career, both light & dark side. I would be curious to see what you come up with. I had my own project set up to create a simpler system for actually using the force, but it never made it out of the initial stages.

My initial reasoning for creating it, was the fact that I had lazy players at the time who were unable to do simple addition/subtraction while keeping track of their actions during the round. I had one player throw his arms up and walk out of the room when he wasn't able to use affect mind on a mid-level NPC because of relationship modifiers added in with the perception of his target.

So, I can say with complete honesty that I would really like to see what you come up with.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Skills = Abilities
Force Powers = Skills
Activate Power (ie skills) = One roll of the dice.

Im happy..
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a game, and I would hate to tell a friend that I've just convinced to try out the SWRPG, "Well, you're not experienced at roleplaying yet, so no Force-sensitive characters." I would feel better saying something like, "Well, Jedi are pretty rare, even before the Great Purge, and afterwards, they're incredibly scarce. They're also somewhat difficult to roleplay properly; with great power comes great responsibility. Getting your feet wet, you might want to try something simpler. But if you're serious enough about it to come up with a well-thought out background, objectives, and personality makeup, I'd be happy to let you play a Force-sensitive. Just remember that Luke started out as a simple farmboy, not a Jedi Knight. You'll have to earn the power...but that's what makes it fun!"

I am also of the notion that powers should be handled as skills in some way. And you shouldn't be deducting from your attribute dice in order to put dice into Force skills; being Force-sensitive doesn't atrophy your DNA or somehow make you otherwise inferior to another being of the same species. Take the dice for starting Force skills from (durr) starting skill dice.

The powers need to be reworked completely, but I have no idea as to where to start. That portion is admittedly daunting. Maybe a Force power tree, or specializations, or both...or...um...something?
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be the odd man out but I don't really have a problem with the way Force powers are handled in the rules as written. At the same time I think they were mainly informed by abilities seen in the original trilogy so there's things in the EU and Prequels that were never covered by the original rules (or official supplements like Dark Empire or Tales of the Jedi).

Force skills requiring attribute dice doesn't bother me much because they're not taking attribute dice from the "typical" NPC's 12D but from a heroic character's 18D. If a character spends time learning to use their Control skill at 2D they weren't spending that time getting their Mechanical attribute from the "average" 2D to 3D. For the most part I think at character creation Jedi end up pretty balanced compared to other heroic characters.

Force skills having powers I also haven't found to be a problem except at much higher power levels. For most of the game Jedi are beefy but not necessarily overpowered. For a good portion of the game Jedi are held back by their easy accumulation of MAPs which tends to limit their craziness. It's not a system that can't be exploited and gamed but I guess I haven't often had players that tried to do that.

I think a better description (from my point of view) would be that Jedi can be tough things for GMs to manage. A group of smugglers might find a squad of Stormtroopers a bit of a challenge even at higher levels. Add a Jedi in the mix with a high Control and Sense score and LSC and that squad is less of a challenge.

To provide a challenge for the Jedi you need to pull them away from their support staff and give them challenges appropriate to their capabilities. The Stormtroopers might be dispatched to deal with the smugglers but the Jedi hunting expert mercenary with slugthrowers, stun weapons, and grenades would target the Jedi.
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Foil wrote:

To provide a challenge for the Jedi you need to pull them away from their support staff and give them challenges appropriate to their capabilities. The Stormtroopers might be dispatched to deal with the smugglers but the Jedi hunting expert mercenary with slugthrowers, stun weapons, and grenades would target the Jedi.

Spoony had some amusing comments about trying to split the PC group so the Jedi could have their solo duel while the smuggler and bounty hunter fight a squad of stormtroopers. He rails on it, but c'mon! You know that guy loves d6!

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/10/29/counter-monkey-all-jedi-or-no-jedi/

(warning: there's some profanity)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My iPhone wont let me watch it. Oh well, I will save it for later.

I don't have a problem with the Force system either, until they get broken down into the details. I often find the powers overly restrictive, with too narrow a focus and too little attention paid to proper duplication of the in-universe action.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found jedi underpowered. My brother's Young Jedi was a sturdy match for my bounty hunter back in Fallon Kell's heyday...

Complete Starship Construction System
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRauri wrote:
S-Foil wrote:

Spoony had some amusing comments about trying to split the PC group so the Jedi could have their solo duel while the smuggler and bounty hunter fight a squad of stormtroopers. He rails on it, but c'mon! You know that guy loves d6!

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/10/29/counter-monkey-all-jedi-or-no-jedi/

(warning: there's some profanity)

Yeah, I tend to agree with the all or no Jedi theory. However, there are ways to make every person in the story have their own style of heroism, and part of that burden is on the player making personal goals for his character, not to mention they should have grudges or vendettas with a non-Sith villain.

To be honest, my group had a duo game run where one character was a Jedi, the other was a smuggler. The whole time, the smuggler complained about how the Jedi character "stole the show" and I challenged him to play a Jedi to my smuggler and see how much show stealing happened. Not enough players play on the strengths of their character types.

The only time with the RAW when Jedi are underpowered is right at character creation. Once the Jedi character gets a few adventures under their belt, they climb the power ladder very quickly.

-Back on topic:
How is the new force system coming along Mcneill?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
-Back on topic:
How is the new force system coming along Mcneill?

Strictly speaking, it's more of a new Jedi system than a new Force system. I have always liked the WEG Force power system in general; it's the specifics, the details, that I have issues with. Most of the powers would stay the same, or have their scope broadened or narrowed, or have their in-game rules altered slightly to bring them more in line with what we see in the films.

For the "new Jedi system", I'm leaning towards some combination of my Willpower rule and ZzaphodD's Jedi Lore rule, in that the character's knowledge and willpower are what is used to resist the call of the Dark Side. Others have voiced objections in the past that it takes away from the Roleplaying experience by removing some of the player's control of the character, but I don't see it that way. IMO, it isn't any less of a Roleplaying experience to respond IC to a bad dice roll than it is to have total control over the character's personality.

MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted: Jedi PC. Experienced Gamers Only. Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, anyone who has been reading my recent posts knows that I think WEG did a real hack job on turning Jedi into PCs. They handicapped them, dumbed them down, and basically turned the superhuman guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy into the party cleric, who casts spells from behind the protection of the bounty hunter and the smuggler.

I'm not sure I'd call the Jedi the party cleric of the SW gaming group simply because of how different combat works, but it's true they do tend to stick back and let the smuggler and bounty hunter do most of the shooting. Then they become competent with a lightsaber and can hold their own with the rest of the group. Then they hit an inflection point and become a nigh unstoppable killing machine. Well, they would if we let them have any fun with their character Wink

I think if we're talking about revising the d6 force system we should question our agreement that Jedis should be left to experienced players only. I enjoy a GM with a hard as nails approach to the trials and tribulations of walking the path of the Jedi as much as the next player, but if we want to turn more people onto d6 SW shouldn't we at least entertain the notion of revising the Force System to be more beginner friendly?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I am definitely doing is altering the rules to allow Jedi to use the Force for direct attacks under certain condition. It's not a popular opinion, but film evidence from the original trilogy indicates it is allowed.

In fact, if you think about it, modifying Jedi t make them capable of actual offense with the Force (up to a point) clears up a big discrepancy between the OT and the prequels: the differences in the martial nature of Jedi in the two trilogies. The popular opinion of the Jedi from an ethical standpoint is primarily formed by WEG's rules, but what if George's vision all along was of Jedi being more martial than how they are presented in the RAW?

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Jedi charactets almost exclusively. I think the main problem is that Jedi take so long to get started, since force skills are nearly useless below 3D or 4D. By this point, the jedi is just catching up to the other pcs who are sitting comfortably at 6D+ in their primary skills.

I think the overall system is okay, but that there needs to be a streamlining of force power accumulation. Jedi should learn fewer powers, I think, but they should get their starting force skill dice from their skill dice, not attribute dice.

For me, its important that any character I create be conceptually complete from the first session. I dont like having to trudge through seven or eight sessions to finally "realize" my original idea that started months ago.

Im not talking about having high skill codes right off the bat. Im saying that the starting repritoire should paint a clear picture of the concept.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group started playing in something like 1989, carried through to 2E then had a break 'til recently.

Back at the start it was very rudimentary. If you've the full collection of books, grab the 1E Core Rulebook and the 1E Sourcebook and that's it.

Build a Jedi game on those two. Then slowly add one or two 1E supplements/sourcebooks over several months.

We actually found what we nutted out using logical process and player interaction in our game wound up being what we found included in progressive expansions. What I mean is we basically had to invent most of the Force powers because most didn't exist when we started playing. Incredibly what we found, no lie was that the bulk of what we invented coincided with later game release material, at least conceptually or abstractly if not concisely.

The Jedi/Force system is logical, everything is based on control/sense/alter and willpower/per and the attribute/d6 system, as a premise... it's all just in how you apply it. They work well enough if you can throw it around a bit without abandoning the logical premise.

Like crmc says, more about finer points in descriptions yes I get that. It's where we departed too.
Direct attacks okay but here's the trick, the RPG is trying to apply a working mechanic. Aiming the Force directly at an organism in a combative aspect is a DSP.

Now it's one thing to say "I don't think that's what I see in the movies" but it's another thing to replace one mechanic that works so you have a game, with another one that works so you have a game too.

If you're just going to make it an artistic expression, then it isn't an RPG anymore. It's like weird social art or something, I dunno, become a movie producer and director and use people to express your artistic vision.

Otherwise you have to have a solid mechanic, for right or wrong, that players can sit down and say, okay, here is the math, now let me make the decisions.

This same argument about Force attacks and the DSP comes up in our game too. Handled it two ways:
1. apply RAW except award DSP as FP and don't tell the Player. When DSP d6 roll for GM control happens, then tell them, oh by the way those 4 FP were actually DSP sorry.
It's a game, one you can lose as a player.
2. the intention of the Force attack. A defensive swatting is not like an aggressive heart crush. One doesn't warrant DSP, other does.
In this event everything comes down to eliciting precise descriptions from the Player of exactly how his Jedi is using Control, what he is thinking of when he exerts that skill, then same for Sense and every part of the specific power he is trying to use. Then make a GM ruling on DSP based on Player description.
Bonus about option 2 here is that Force powers don't necessarily go like a menu selection, the GM may rule that a different power than the Player selection actually suits their description better.

So use option 1 for Player who uses the RAW like a menu.
Option 2 for Players that define their intentions existentially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: