The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Freighter in Your Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Freighter in Your Campaign Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me here..

Im planning on running a game where the characters will be investigating this new starfighter the empire is reseaching (the interceptor, our games are pre ANH). Their mission is to get the schematics for the ship and return as much technology as they can, a working prototype if they can.

Im looking for a ship which could dock a tie fighter in its cargo bay. A ship meant to dock starfighters will probably be to big (hangars and stuff). This is just for transport. The light freighters seems to small. The medium freighters in the books are massive and quite frail and clumsy.

I need something in between. A good-sized cargo bay wich is not loaded by a cargo elevator (or carrying cargo aboard by hand which some freighter plans seem to indicate), but with a large cargo hatch. Also 'flyable' in hostile space.

Any ideas?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the top of my head, just about any Medium Freighter should be able to do the job, shouldn't it? The Mark V or Mark IV could get it done. They've got a huge cargo space, and it seems as though a little bit of modification could fit your needs.

If you need to have an already large loading bay, then there are plenty of ways around that. Suppose the ship was originally a salvage vessel, and it needed large bay doors to accommodate large chunks of wrecked hulls. I'm pretty sure I even have a fan-made vessel of the sort based off of the Mark series.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew WEG design were a bit weak on consistency, but when looking at freighters +/- 100 m I was still shocked how bad it was.

One freighter at about 100 m has 700 metric of cargo, another has 19.000 or even more. They cost between 100k+ to almost a million credits.. Laughing

They must be no competition in the starship market as you seem to be able to market about any ship you want...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A HT2200 should be able to dock 2 interceptors in their big cargo bays..
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was pretty shocked at the lack of consistency when I was doing the first draft of my Scavengers and Salvagers Guide. One the one hand it was terribly frustrating trying to do something that is consistent with established material. On the other hand its liberating knowing that you really can't go wrong and produce something that is any more inconsistent.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Just off the top of my head, just about any Medium Freighter should be able to do the job, shouldn't it? The Mark V or Mark IV could get it done. They've got a huge cargo space, and it seems as though a little bit of modification could fit your needs.

If you need to have an already large loading bay, then there are plenty of ways around that. Suppose the ship was originally a salvage vessel, and it needed large bay doors to accommodate large chunks of wrecked hulls. I'm pretty sure I even have a fan-made vessel of the sort based off of the Mark series.

The Mark V or IV seems a bit to much like flying barrels..and expensive. Too large for this mission. Also, it seems modifying a 90.000 metric freighter to become somewhat combat worhty would be even more costly..

I was looking at the Loronar Medium Freighter. Its 75 m long, as 'tough' as an Action IV (ie weak captial scale) and as slow. It has a cargo bay 30 m long by 13 m wide and 4 floorplans in height 17000 metrics. It also needs a smaller crew which is good because I dont like to use crew NPCs.
It costs about 1/5 of a Action VI.. Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I was pretty shocked at the lack of consistency when I was doing the first draft of my Scavengers and Salvagers Guide. One the one hand it was terribly frustrating trying to do something that is consistent with established material. On the other hand its liberating knowing that you really can't go wrong and produce something that is any more inconsistent.

Is this guide online somewhere? It seem very much up my players creek..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

It seems the deck plans in Ship Stats only have the crew compartments shown.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Right now there's only a couple of copies and they're pretty well under wraps while it's in the early stages of development. I did a draft, and then I started working on another article. I'm kind of grinding to a near halt with my current project, but once I get it done I'll hit the salvagers guide again.

If you're interested in reviewing it and making revision suggestions, I'm willing to put you on the short list, but I'd like there to be the quid pro quo of having suggestions or art contributions. It is planned for a currently unscheduled release as part of an OpenD6 periodical.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It seems it has 4 cargo holds about 7,5 x 7,5 meters.

Cant find my official book though...and the source mentions that they dont agree with the WEG size of the ship (working from the cockpit).
http://www.swagonline.net/node/226
(I also notice the somewhat eccentric creator of the deckplan).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It seems it has 4 cargo holds about 7,5 x 7,5 meters.

Cant find my official book though...and the source mentions that they dont agree with the WEG size of the ship (working from the cockpit).
http://www.swagonline.net/node/226
(I also notice the somewhat eccentric creator of the deckplan).

Ah, found the original floorplan.
http://www.imperialentanglements.org/specops/HT-2200.htm

It seems the cargo holds are each about 16x14 meters. If you modify two of the bays into one large and have a larger loading hatch in the front (ie, as wide as the cargo bay, 15-16 meters) it seems to fit the bill.

Again, massive inconsistency. Compare to the loronars 30 x 13 m cargo bay (albeit 4 stories tall) at 19.000 metrics. The 2200 is 2/3 in length but very wide (and not slim by design).. 800 metrics Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Right now there's only a couple of copies and they're pretty well under wraps while it's in the early stages of development. I did a draft, and then I started working on another article. I'm kind of grinding to a near halt with my current project, but once I get it done I'll hit the salvagers guide again.

If you're interested in reviewing it and making revision suggestions, I'm willing to put you on the short list, but I'd like there to be the quid pro quo of having suggestions or art contributions. It is planned for a currently unscheduled release as part of an OpenD6 periodical.

I wont be able to contribute in the art part of the project.. Laughing But Id be happy to give other suggestions..
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned up some model series like X-Wings and TIE in our game, and deleted a lot of ridiculous EU to replace them with more logical (and limited) model progression and original canon.
You may not therefore agree with my assertions for your game, but it's just a thought.

The TIE followed two development paths: the TIE fighter and TIE bomber. The TIE interceptor actually came from the TIE bomber path, which started as a technology demonstrator for a ubiquitous light fleet shuttle or attack starfighter of a modular design. The TIE fighter is really a stripped down high performance application that represents a blind development path: the TIE/ln is pretty much the limit of the design without going back to the drawing board and starting over, ie. the TIE Intrceptor didn't come as a design progression from the TIE/ln.

By the time the TIE/ln was in production Sienar was already constructing the TIE advanced technology demonstrators, based on a heavier but more ubiquitous construction with higher power output. From this came the TIE bomber and TIE shuttle (which is actually the same craft with a pod change so the TIE bomber in our game has 3D hull and 1D+1 shields in common with the TIE shuttle and does make a pretty good attack starfighter). It was also the basis for various technology demonstrators for new TIE fighter proposals to replace the TIE/ln in future production, with various additions ranging from shields installation to small hyperdrive motivators, Darth Vader and select Naval Wing Commanders were distributed some of these as personal craft as part of a promotion drive, the X1, X2, X3 series prototypes.

The TIE Interceptor is one of the products of this development path and didn't take its familiar shape until production, the technologies of increased structural rigidity, armament and power output (which due to vectored thrust also translates to increased manoeuvrability), were all developed and prototyped in the TIE Advanced series of technology demonstrators, based on the TIE bomber/shuttle development path.

ie. any TIE Interceptor prototypes before mass production will be TIE Advanced models like Vader's TIE. This would be the type of TIE that you'd be looking at placing in your cargo compartment, which isn't very tall but is wide and long.

You could fit one nicely inside a modified Ghtroc...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apart from being a TIE-advanced right up until mass production I like the idea. I see the TIE-advanced as a prototype that was never meant to be mass-produced, but as a test-bed for different systems later included in other models (Interceptors is one of them). The TIE /x3 Starfighter from Wookie.

I agree on the rather ridiculous amount of different EU TIE models...each more über than the other.. Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Well, apart from being a TIE-advanced right up until mass production I like the idea. I see the TIE-advanced as a prototype that was never meant to be mass-produced, but as a test-bed for different systems later included in other models (Interceptors is one of them). The TIE /x3 Starfighter from Wookie.

I agree on the rather ridiculous amount of different EU TIE models...each more über than the other.. Laughing

As a side note, I know there is some kind of 'Red Baron' Tie pilot in the EU. I was thinking of putting him into a TIE Avenger (a bit slower than the Space 15 in the Starship Stats though). Those 'special' TIEs make great prototypes used for special characters even if they are a bit OTT to use as mass produced ships...

Ah, Soontir Fel is the name of the 'Red Baron' pilot.. Dont really like the name but its easy enough to change..
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Soontir_Fel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: