The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Any suggestions on salvaging rights?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Any suggestions on salvaging rights? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventure hook: A rebel sympathizer was smuggling cargo and made a hasty hyperspace jump to evade capture. After no response after the jump it was assumed the jump went badly. The salvage team must 1) use their heads to locate the wreckage. 2) once they find the wreckage, they find it already picked over, and the sensitive cargo missing. Finally 3) they must use clues at the site to identify the salvager and recover the cargo.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have more stats including manipulator arms and a couple of specialized vessels coming later, but here are just a couple of tidbits of what I'm working on.

Tractor beams
Many salvage ship captains have found it advantageous to use small-scale tractor beams to aid in their collecting process. Relatively weak in comparison to their military-grade counterparts, these tractor beams are not designed to lock on to high velocity spacecraft and resist the propulsion of their engines. Rather, they can easily manipulate flotsam and space debris as they idly drift on their paths and guide them into a collection bay.
Quote:

Salvage Grade Tractor Beam
Model: Starfire Inc. FFJ-1 Grappler
Type: Civilian issue salvage manipulator tractor beam
Scale: Starfighter
Cost: 1,300
Weight: 2 metric tons
Availability: 1
Space Range: 1-5
Source: Fan made

Grav-scoops
Though some salvagers prefer to hand pick the pieces they bring on board, others prefer a catch all system where any piece of debris is drawn into their collector, and the value of the items is sorted out later. Gravitational scoops are a favored method by those captains who utilize the mass collection method. Grav-scoops operate on similar methods as grav plates installed in the decks of almost any standard starship in the galaxy. Being little more than large apertures lined on all sides with rows of narrow but strong grav plates, the gravitational scoops draw in space debris, and pass them through to a collection area by firing in series. This method allows the captain to make slow passes through fields of small debris making sizable collections at each pass.
Quote:

Grav-scoop
Model: Bostic Industries Charybdis 6 Grav-scoop
Cost: 200
Weight: 1 metric ton
Availability: 2
Space Range: 1
Game Notes: Grav-scoops have relatively large apertures situated on the exterior of the ship which have considerable effects when operating the ship in atmosphere. Any ship with a grav-scoop has all in-atmosphere maneuvers are increased by one difficulty level.

jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Any ideas on stats for small pods (space bees)?

Adventure Idea: PCs get license for salvage, go to location in remote area, when they get there someone is illegally salvaging their site, fight the claim jumpers, find out that whatever cargo the PCs were supposed to find was taken by claim jumpers, track down claim jumpers
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Nice. Any ideas on stats for small pods (space bees)?

Adventure Idea: PCs get license for salvage, go to location in remote area, when they get there someone is illegally salvaging their site, fight the claim jumpers, find out that whatever cargo the PCs were supposed to find was taken by claim jumpers, track down claim jumpers

I've got an idea of the space bees. I'm remembering these Cargo Tugs they had in the X-Wing games. They were nothing but one-man deals with tractor beams on the front of them. I'm going to make them some carried craft in a bulk freighter kind of scavenger ship.
kinfo_howlingwolf
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd start with this:

Lifeboat
Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation Survivor
Affiliation: General
Era: Old Republic
Source: Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
Type: Emergency Lifeboat
Length: 10 meters
Skill: Space transports:Lifeboat
Crew Skill: Varies by passengers
Crew: 1
Passengers: 14
Cargo Capacity: None but emergency gear
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: 18,000 (new), 5,600 (used)
Space: 2
Atmosphere: 225; 650 kmh
Maneuverability: 1D
Hull: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/1D

lets see what we can scrap together..

I'd probably add some type of various strength fine manipulators, similar to what would be found on a WED 15 Treadwell Droid or IC-M Maintenance Droid, maybe even have a brain of theirs linked up to it, the weds improved sensors would be nice to have as well.

I suppose you could probably rig up some kind of cargo hold but ideally this thing would need to be smaller to get inside those cramped quarters of a missle breached hull. so how can we get the loot to the main ship...

can we rig up somesort of repulsor powered vaccum system to siphon the stuff back to the main boat?

maybe a small exterior hold with mse-6 droid(s) that could zip out onto the hull and start doing whatever needs doing?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Grav-scoops
Though some salvagers prefer to hand pick the pieces they bring on board, others prefer a catch all system where any piece of debris is drawn into their collector, and the value of the items is sorted out later. Gravitational scoops are a favored method by those captains who utilize the mass collection method. Grav-scoops operate on similar methods as grav plates installed in the decks of almost any standard starship in the galaxy. Being little more than large apertures lined on all sides with rows of narrow but strong grav plates, the gravitational scoops draw in space debris, and pass them through to a collection area by firing in series. This method allows the captain to make slow passes through fields of small debris making sizable collections at each pass.
Quote:

Grav-scoop
Model: Bostic Industries Charybdis 6 Grav-scoop
Cost: 200
Weight: 1 metric ton
Availability: 2
Space Range: 1
Game Notes: Grav-scoops have relatively large apertures situated on the exterior of the ship which have considerable effects when operating the ship in atmosphere. Any ship with a grav-scoop has all in-atmosphere maneuvers are increased by one difficulty level.

Not bad, though they seem rather cheap....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that got mentioned in the blurb in the ImpSB is tractor tags. As described, a droid or a character in a space suit can attach a tractor tag to an item that they want salvaged, and that tag allows the tractor beam to make a precision lock on the target to haul it in.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Not bad, though they seem rather cheap....

Oops. Misprint. It should be 2,000. Having it cost less than a blaster makes no sense. Given that this is going to be a delivery system that take sit from a hard point on the exterior of the and has to have ducts installed through the hull into the cargo bay, I figured it should have some cost to it.

crmcneill wrote:
One thing that got mentioned in the blurb in the ImpSB is tractor tags. As described, a droid or a character in a space suit can attach a tractor tag to an item that they want salvaged, and that tag allows the tractor beam to make a precision lock on the target to haul it in.

I'll take a look at that.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinfo_howlingwolf wrote:
i'd start with this:

Lifeboat

lets see what we can scrap together..

I'd probably add some type of various strength fine manipulators, similar to what would be found on a WED 15 Treadwell Droid or IC-M Maintenance Droid, maybe even have a brain of theirs linked up to it, the weds improved sensors would be nice to have as well.

I suppose you could probably rig up some kind of cargo hold but ideally this thing would need to be smaller to get inside those cramped quarters of a missle breached hull. so how can we get the loot to the main ship...

can we rig up somesort of repulsor powered vaccum system to siphon the stuff back to the main boat?

maybe a small exterior hold with mse-6 droid(s) that could zip out onto the hull and start doing whatever needs doing?

Do you mean change the lifeboat stats to make it more like a short range salvage droid?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson_red wrote:
Though obnoxiously vague, it could simply be listed as a "reasonable" amount of time to stage a recovery operation.
Reasonable is actually a legal term used quite often in US and English law and I think it makes far more sense than an actual time limit because reasonable will depend on circumstances whereas a hard time limit would often be inappropriate.

I agree with kinfo_howlingwolf that often the Empire or the local government would just want the trash cleared up without having to do it themselves and not caring much who salvaged it - though they would of course expect that items wouldn't go to rebels or other criminals. Also I agree that wreckage from a destroyed corvette and a few starfighters is likely to be looked at quite differently than someone trying to salvage a partially intact Star Destroyer.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the Empire would do it themselves, but if there is serious military hardware, I'm guessing it would go to a vetted contractor. As to where they would draw the line, I'm not entirely certain.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

crmcneill wrote:

I'll take a look at that.

So hows about 'tagged' targets get +10 to any tractor beam to hit rolls to lock on..
kinfo_howlingwolf
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Do you mean change the lifeboat stats to make it more like a short range salvage droid?

Not so much droid, still have it as a piloted vessel. I found the lifeboats stats similar to how I figured the WKR-B module would be.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to collect larger pieces of salvage, you're probably just moving it from one place to another. The simplest way of doing this would be with an off the shelf cargo tug. Though I'm sure there would be more specialized versions. Here's a run up of a cargo tug inspired by what I've seen in the X-Wing games. Maybe I'll do a more specialized version soon with a plasma cutter and a manipulator arm.

Cargo Tug
Any pilot who has spent his life near space docks is no stranger to the cargo tug. Simple, inelegant, and made for pure utility, these working vessels populate many cargo transfer stations, space docks, and loading points. Pilots spend a full shift laboring in the cramped conditions of a simple one-man tug. Not built for comfort, these small crafts have a single purpose in mind, moving space born objects from one location to another. By using standard tractor beam technology, they can lock on to relatively large objects and deliver them to their destination. Though not fast, their engines are designed to deliver consistent performance despite moving a considerable load.
Quote:

Craft: Slevurian Model 431 Hauler Tug
Era:
Type: Spacetug
Length: 7 meters
Skill:Space Transports: Slevurian Cargo Tug
Crew: 1
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: 1 day
Cost: 7,500
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 2
Atmosphere: N/A
Hull: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 5/+1
Scan: 10/1D
Search: 15/1D+1
Focus: 1/2D
Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5
Damage: 3D

cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Salvage Tug
Heavy salvage jobs require specialized tools for the trade. When derelict bulk freighters cannot be repaired or towed into dock for a complete overhaul, or when capital ships meet catastrophic ends, they must be dismantled and disposed of. Usually based from another ship or space dock, a salvage crew is often dispatched in a salvage tug. Slightly roomier than the average space tug, the salvage tugs come equipped with fine manipulator arms, and plasma cutting torches. The torches, similar, but less powerful than their counter parts used for breeching hulls in military or pirate boarding operations are designed to have close contact with the target vessel’s hull, and slice through the wreckage with a powerful short-range beam. Once separated from the larger portion, the salvage tug uses its tractor beam projectors to haul the pieces to a collection ship or cargo container.

Craft: Legurvio Industries Scavanger Tug
Era:
Type: Spacetug
Length: 12 meters
Skill:Space Transports: Scavenger Tug
Crew: 1 (2 can coordinate)
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 10,000
Maneuverability: 0D+2
Space: 3
Atmosphere: N/A
Hull: 1D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 5/+1
Scan: 15/1D
Search: 20/1D+1
Focus: 2/2D
Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/5/10
Damage: 3D
Plasma Cutting Torch
Fire Control: 0D
Range: 10 meters
Damage: 5D
Note: The plasma torch is designed for cutting through derelict starship hulls and space debris. While not initially powerful enough to make a clean cut, every round the cutter sustains its beam, remaining a stationary focus point on its target, it increases its damage by +1D.
Heavy Manipulator Arm
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 4 meters
Note: Heavy manipulator arms easily move, manipulate, and guide unsecured objects in space. Though the arm has a limited reach, the crew may move the object two meters per round in any direction within the arm’s reach.

I've been looking at something like these on various boarding ships and miners. They usually have damages of 8D-10D. At first I thought that would be to high for the Empire to allow... but at the same time this isn't going to be a very effective military vessel. They're too puny and too easily damaged to do much tactical good. Should I bump up the damage on the cutting torch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: