The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Any suggestions on salvaging rights?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Any suggestions on salvaging rights? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea: perhaps the PCs are salvagers for the Rebel Alliance (or some other such entitiy) and have to race out to battle sites and get all they can before Imperials arrive. This way they are in a time crunch and must be prepared to fight or run....
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Quote:

Salvage Tug
Heavy salvage jobs require specialized tools for the trade. When derelict bulk freighters cannot be repaired or towed into dock for a complete overhaul, or when capital ships meet catastrophic ends, they must be dismantled and disposed of. Usually based from another ship or space dock, a salvage crew is often dispatched in a salvage tug. Slightly roomier than the average space tug, the salvage tugs come equipped with fine manipulator arms, and plasma cutting torches. The torches, similar, but less powerful than their counter parts used for breeching hulls in military or pirate boarding operations are designed to have close contact with the target vessel’s hull, and slice through the wreckage with a powerful short-range beam. Once separated from the larger portion, the salvage tug uses its tractor beam projectors to haul the pieces to a collection ship or cargo container.

Craft: Legurvio Industries Scavanger Tug
Affiliation: General
Era:
Type: Spacetug
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 12 meters
Skill:Space Transports: Scavenger Tug
Crew: 1 (2 can coordinate)
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 10,000
Maneuverability: 0D+2
Space: 3
Atmosphere: N/A
Hull: 1D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 5/+1
Scan: 15/1D
Search: 20/1D+1
Focus: 2/2D
Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/5/10
Damage: 3D
Plasma Cutting Torch
Fire Control: 0D
Range: 10 meters
Damage: 5D
Note: The plasma torch is designed for cutting through derelict starship hulls and space debris. While not initially powerful enough to make a clean cut, every round the cutter sustains its beam, remaining a stationary focus point on its target, it increases its damage by +1D.
Heavy Manipulator Arm
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 4 meters
Note: Heavy manipulator arms easily move, manipulate, and guide unsecured objects in space. Though the arm has a limited reach, the crew may move the object two meters per round in any direction within the arm’s reach.
Source: Fan made

I've been looking at something like these on various boarding ships and miners. They usually have damages of 8D-10D. At first I thought that would be to high for the Empire to allow... but at the same time this isn't going to be a very effective military vessel. They're too puny and too easily damaged to do much tactical good. Should I bump up the damage on the cutting torch?

Why not use the stats from the Mole Miner to base?

Quote:
Craft: Slayn & Corpil Plasma-Jet Mole
Type: Mole miner
Scale: Speeder
Length: 6.9 meters
Skill: Repulsorlift operation: mole miner
Crew: 2
Crew Skill: Repulsorlift operation: mole miner 3D, starship
gunnery: mole miner jets 5D
Cargo Capacity: 1,000 kilograms
Cover: Full
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Move: 75; 26 kmh
Body Strength: 3D
Weapons:
Plasma Jet
Fire Arc: Back
Crew: 1 (pilot or co-pilot)
Skill: Starship gunnery: mole miner jets
Fire Control: 4D
Range: 2 meters
Damage: 8D (starfighter scale)
Source: The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook (pages 206/208),
Heir to the Empire Sourcebook (page 115)

They seem to be exactly what we're looking for! Speeder scale, which makes them flimsy, and has the plasma cutting device, 8D.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I kept looking in Gry's Starship stats book AND I looked in the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook and could not find the things. I don't know why I didn't see them.

I think that the base of the Mole Miner would be a good one to work from (which is exactly why I went looking for them in the first place). I think that having the basic idea is a good one, though I feel as though a salvage ship would also want a few more features, including a more controlled plasma jet to slice apart a ship, rather than just boring through it. But with a few modifications, it looks like a reasonable fit. I may take the mole miner and add a few bells and whistles to make it more fitting.

NOTICE: I would like to use some of these ideas to do an article, including many of the salvage rules, types of salvage, and adventure ideas. However, I'd like to give credit to the people in this thread. If you've contributed something in the thread, please send me a PM and give me your real name and an e-mail address. If you don't want me to use one of your ideas, either post in here or send me a PM to tell me not to use it.

I'll keep posting the ideas here for peer review. If this thread dies off, then I'll still probably keep working on it, and let people know when it eventually goes to print.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I think because it's speeder scale, it was in the Vehicles collection, not starships.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Man, I kept looking in Gry's Starship stats book AND I looked in the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook and could not find the things. I don't know why I didn't see them.

I think that the base of the Mole Miner would be a good one to work from (which is exactly why I went looking for them in the first place). I think that having the basic idea is a good one, though I feel as though a salvage ship would also want a few more features, including a more controlled plasma jet to slice apart a ship, rather than just boring through it. But with a few modifications, it looks like a reasonable fit. I may take the mole miner and add a few bells and whistles to make it more fitting.

Well, the easiest way to make the cutting apparatus useful is to fit it to a mechanical arm or something. I'm picturing the same sort of mech arms that are on the little mini subs in the Abyss. It already has 4D fire control, which makes it accurate as all hell, and a short range of only 2 meters, which makes it ineffective in standard combat. I would also probably up the move to a space rating of 1 maybe while in vacuum, since the salvager would be operating in space, which doesn't make a lot of sense to switch from atmosphere move to space moves just because the ship is speeder scale. Keep the standard speed though if it's operating in atmosphere, why not just make is a special type of "airspeeder?" Or, better yet, give it amphibious seals to make it an all terrain salvaging apparatus. ATSA, lol, I like that.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean stat one like this:

Quote:

Craft: Fryanyin & Skep Plasma-Jet salvage pod
Type: Salvage tug
Scale: Speeder
Length: 6 meters
Skill: Repulsorlift operation: salvage pod
Crew: 2
Crew Skill: varies
Cargo Capacity: 0 kilograms
Cover: Full
Cost: 16,000
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 75; 26 kmh
Body Strength: 3D
Weapons:
Plasma Jet
Skill: Starship gunnery: salvage pod jets
Fire Control: 3D
Range: 6 meters
Damage: 8D (starfighter scale)
3 Manipulator Arms
Skill: Starship gunnery: manipulator arms
Fire Control: 2D
Range: 2 meters
Source: Fan Made

I can do the write up to have aquatic seals. It makes sense to have a multi-purpose pod. I definitely like the idea of putting this one in here, though I don't know that I'll exclude the other two either. I figure having more than one purchasing option will be a good idea. Some people are trying to get by with what works, and others want the added extra options. Smile I can see some salvagers not wanting to settle for a smaller pod, and wanting to go with a larger tug. But, of course, I'm open to hearing other opinions.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about having an upgrade package or an assembly package for each terrain? Maybe the base model only functions in atmosphere, but you can buy the kit to set it up for space or aquatic. Or it starts good to go in space, but doesn't have the right kind of hover engines for in atmosphere work and/or underwater work.

Each kit costs 4,000 credits and gives the salvage tug separate bits:
Vacuum Kit:
Space: 1
Maneuverability: 1D+2
Pressurized for up to 12 hours on it's own, or you can attach a lifeline to your ship for unlimited work time. Max distance on a lifeline is 200m

Aquatic Kit:
Move: 55
Maneuverability: +2
Self contained re-breather air filtration system allows for 24 hours underwater operation or lifeline attachment can keep the sub continuing to breathe indefinitely as long as the line is attached to a dedicated air source. Max distance on lifeline is 250m.

Kits are a moderate vehicle repair difficulty to install and uninstall and take about 30-60 minutes to complete.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what if we created a larger salvage tug? Up the scale to Walker scale and give the cutting torch capital scale damage. Used for large projects like space stations or capital ship salvage. Also it could have a decent sized cargo pod for returning items to the main ship.

Size could be roughly 2-3x the size of the small tug.
Plasma Jet stats are same, except Capital Scale
Give it 1D more Body Strength and up to Walker Scale
I see this as possibly being a little slower but having a much longer uninterrupted oxygen supply, maybe no limit?

I don't know, just some ideas.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also see salvagers suits, that they wear when they are eva..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO a salvaging ship should be rather sturdy and not a flimsy speeder.

Flying around in debris fields (after a battle for example) where the moving debris can actually be whole starships would be rather stupid in flimsy speeder. Sure if you could pay all your attention to not getting hit (a nifty speeder would be perfect), but not if you actually wanted to get work done.

Look at your regular tow truck. Not really a fast and fragile sports car...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salvage tugs that we're working on aren't the ship itself, they're the smaller manned pods that get sent from the ship itself to do cutting, gathering, scouting, and retrieval.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can also see salvagers suits, that they wear when they are eva..

Man, I've been looking at these, and this is where things get hard while trying to be consistent with what WEG produced. The biggest problem is that WEG doesn't seem real consistent with the costs as is. The EVA suits are sometimes as expensive as a used freighter. I based my initial tugs off of a small space tug, and it had a cost of around 20,000. A bit steep I thought, but some of the suits are around that as well. And one can assume that there would be a few new tools on a heavy duty working suit like this. Probably a power suit with a few gadgets, right?

hmm.... what to do about cost though?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the vagabond suit for a baseline. It's a lighter weight space suit with sensor bits for scouting out pockets of valuable salvage.

Quote:
Model: Customized Vagabond Space Suit
Type: Deep space powersuit
Scale: Character
Skill: Powersuit operation
Cost: 2,500
Availability: 3
Game Notes: Add +2D to
sensors and communications
rolls while suit is used
independent of a base
ship. Add +1D if linked
to base ship. The suit’s
armor provides +2D against
physical attacks. Booster
jets provide a top speed
equivalent of Space 1 with a
maneuverability of 1D. The
on-board sensor array has
the following specifications:
Passive: 3/0D
Scan: 6/0D
Search: 9/1D
Focus: 1/2D
Source: Gundark’s Fantastic
Technology (page 62)

Maybe we could add a built in plasma cutter or a multi-tool type of thing and up the cost by 1,000.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also add in a grapple arm, and maybe even a toe cable hook up.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tow cable hook up more than a grapple arm. It's not a power suit, it's a space suit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: