The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Any suggestions on salvaging rights?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Any suggestions on salvaging rights? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I like the tow cable hook up more than a grapple arm. It's not a power suit, it's a space suit.

You actually referenced a power suit. Smile

Though I see a place for both. I mean, in all reality most people are going to use a suit to do space walks, place beacons, plant tractor locks, and the like. Other larger ships are probably going to carry more specialized equipment. Independent captains freighter-like captains are probably going to rely quite a bit on droids so that they don't have to split the shares.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the smaller version, and we'll get to the larger powersuit in a bit:
Quote:

Salvage Suit
Model: Specialized Industrial Space Suit
Type: Deep space suit
Scale: Character
Cost: 1,800
Availability: 2
Game Notes:
Atmosphere: Rebreather oxygen scrubbing and onboard heating units provide for 10 hours of atmosphere.
Armor protection: Adds +1D to all Strength rolls to resist physical and energy damage.
Short range scanner/comm package: Adds +1D to sensors and communications rolls.
Repulsors: Provide a move of 10 meters in zero gravity. Skill: repulsorlift operation
Magna grappler: Includes magnetic grappler with 20 meters of synth rope
Laser cutting tool: 5D damage (Skill: relevant Technical skills)
Source: fan made

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the big one:
Quote:

Wreck Suits
Extraordinary circumstances call for training and equipment far outside the common spacer in a vacuum suit, and wreck suits are designed with the extraordinary in mind. Though droids are often relegated to the most dangerous extravehicular evaluations and repairs, some captains and work crews place a high value on sentient judgment and would rather have a capable being than any machine making the calls. When dealing with unstable starship wrecks, assessing catastrophic capital ship hull damage, risky rescue operations, or recovery missions wreck suits rise to the occasion. When dealing with failing starship systems and flickering gravity plates, or shifting masses of wreckage the right suit can mean the difference between success and failure, and even life and death. With its wide array of equipment options, some salvage captains make good use out of wreck suits. Often used in selective salvage, rather than dismantling entire starships, the wreck suits allow a scavenger to find his way into an unstable ship, locate special items of value, and make his way back out.
Quote:

EVA Wreck Suit
Model: Scavani Engineering Recovery Series VI Power Suit
Type: Deep space power suit
Skill: Powersuit operation: wreck suit
Cost: 2,700
Game Notes:
Atmosphere: Rebreather oxygen scrubbing and onboard heating units provide for 16 hours of atmosphere.
Armor protection: +2D physical and +1D energy, -1D to Dexterity.
Short range scanner/comm package: Adds +2D to sensors and communications rolls.
Jump jets: Jets have fuel for 5 bursts with a speed of Space 1 and 1D maneuverability
Magna grappler: Includes magnetic grappler with 20 meters of synth rope
Magnetic boots: Electromagnetic boots can be activated to adhere to most metallic surfaces.
Plasma cutting torch: cuts through most surfaces given enough time. For every 1D a surface has in body strength, it takes the plasma cutter 1D rounds to cut a 2 meter diameter hole in the surface. For example, a blast door with a rating of 8D strength, will take 8D rounds to penetrate.
Grasping arm: Provides a standard 7D lifting skill.
Poly-tool arm: Set of retractible tools adds +1D to relevant spacecraft repair rolls.

I'm toying with it being +2D to physical and energy. I'm also open to any other improvements. The cost is just slightly higher than what a normal work droid is supposed to be. I figure that anyone who wants one of these is going to be putting more value in a human mind making decisions, so it would probably be worth the cost to them.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
I like the tow cable hook up more than a grapple arm. It's not a power suit, it's a space suit.

You actually referenced a power suit. Smile

Though I see a place for both. I mean, in all reality most people are going to use a suit to do space walks, place beacons, plant tractor locks, and the like. Other larger ships are probably going to carry more specialized equipment. Independent captains freighter-like captains are probably going to rely quite a bit on droids so that they don't have to split the shares.

Sorry, you're right, it is technically a power suit, but unlike most standard power suits, it does not grant a bonus to lifting or strength checks. That was what I meant by it's not a power suit.

I like the stats for both Chesh, they're looking good!
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Sorry, you're right, it is technically a power suit, but unlike most standard power suits, it does not grant a bonus to lifting or strength checks. That was what I meant by it's not a power suit.

I like the stats for both Chesh, they're looking good!

Honestly, I've never really understood exactly how the power suits were meant to work in terms of using the powersuit skill in conjunction with the skills it is supposedly giving bonuses to. There are few examples we have in the rulebook for something that seems like it's supposed to be a machine with diverse applications.

Thanks for compliments, I'll be showing some other things soon.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that power suit operations skill takes the place of running, dodge, and in some cases a piloting skill such as repulsorlift operations.

With the Vagabond suit, I assumed the power suit ops skill was used to navigate in a vacuum to speed around at space rating of 1. But I wouldn't have the player use power suit operations to replace dodge except while floating in space, because that would be a piloting check. And definitely not running, because they move of their own power while using their feet. Some power suits though use servo type movement like the EVA suits and Zero G stormtrooper armor, these I would have the wearer use PSO to walk over difficult terrain.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

I'm toying with it being +2D to physical and energy. I'm also open to any other improvements. The cost is just slightly higher than what a normal work droid is supposed to be. I figure that anyone who wants one of these is going to be putting more value in a human mind making decisions, so it would probably be worth the cost to them.

I'd say +3d phys (to assist avoiding those tears from grappling all those sharp edges) and +1d energy is more than good.. with a -1d dex penalty..
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted an update. So, here's a few things that I've been working on for starship equipment. I've got a few other things like the Trac-Locks, and some other modest pieces of equipment. There are a couple of new ships in my notes, but I've been focusing my attention on starship equipment lately. I think lots of players will want to modify their own starships for this, rather than buying them stock.

Quote:

Appendage Collection System
Some freelance scavengers have taken to outfitting their ships with several droid brain controlled appendage arms. The droid brain is usually located in a central position inside the ship as it controls several appendage arms at once. Using the ships passive sensors, the droid brain is able to detect floating space debris that fits the criteria for mass or volume that the captain desires. More elaborate units may scan for the composition of the debris, discerning between ice or rock debris and more valuable reclaimable materials such as starship alloys. The droid arms deliver the alloys into apertures in the hull leading to the cargo bay or collection area.

Model: Bostic Industries ACS Series 3
Type: passive salvage collection system
Scale: Starfighter
Cost: 4,600
Availability: 2
Space Range: 1
Game Notes: Appendage collection systems can be installed on the exterior of a ship near the craft’s cargo hold. Using droid controlled arms they latch on to all space debris within set parameters of volume or mass. The appendages then deliver the items into specially designed apertures that lead to the cargo hold.
Source: Fan made
Starship Plasma Cutting Torch
Cutting torches are a staple of targeted or active salvage vessels, and found on almost every corporate reclamation vessel. These torches are often situated at the end of a manipulator appendage, helping to compensate for such short range. When large sections of a starship’s hull are left intact, starship-mounted plasma torches are necessary to break the ships down to smaller size in order to remove them from space lanes. Given enough time, the torches are capable of slicing through nearly all hull masses and will eventually disassemble even the largest bulks of space debris.
Model: Veldirian Industries Plasma Torch
Type: Starship-mouthed cutting torch
Cost: 4,350
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 0D
Range: 10 meters
Damage: 8D
External Grappling Devices
Most large-scale collections require specialized means of taking the cargo. Larger ships with large external cargo bay doors are capable of using manipulator arms to grasp hold of larger salvage targets and guide them into the hold. Manipulator arms are usually rugged and sturdy enough to guide many tons of material in the weightlessness of space, though they are not usually designed for lifting materials in atmosphere. Several ship captains have used them to assist with repairs to help with rapid cargo transfers, though few are willing to test the limitations of the devices within standard planetary gravity.

Light Manipulator Arm
Model: Siryus Hydrolics FT-479 Loading Arm
Type: Loading bay manipulator arm
Cost: 2,300
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 3 meters
Note: Light manipulator arms easily move, manipulate, and guide unsecured objects in space. Though the arm has a limited reach, the crew may move the object one meter per round in any direction within the arm’s reach.
Medium Manipulator Arm
Model: Kartog Industries Servo-Lifter
Cost: 2,850
Range: 4 meters
Note: Medium manipulator arms easily move, manipulate, and guide unsecured objects in space. Though the arm has a limited reach, the crew may move the object two meters per round in any direction within the arm’s reach.
Heavy Manipulator Arm
Model: Siryus Hydrolics MG-9 Loading Arm
Scale: Capital
Cost: 6,500
Note: Heavy manipulator arms easily move, manipulate, and guide unsecured objects in space. Though the arm has a limited reach, the crew may move the object four meters per round in any direction within the arm’s reach.

Cargo and Landing Grips
Debris comes in all shapes and sizes, and while many salvage captains are happy to spend their hours using plasma punches to cut the pieces of hull and half destroyed ships into manageable sections, other captains would much rather take the targets in their totality to major reclamation centers. Cargo claws are specifically designed for latching on to starfighter-scale pieces of debris and allowing the salvage ship to take them to their intended destination. Heavy claws allow the transport of much larger targets.
In general utility, cargo claws allow a starfighter-scale ship to land and attach to almost any surface in zero gravity, regardless of the ship’s relative orientation. Starfighter-scale ships with cargo grips may latch on to smaller starships, take them through hyperspace as well as maneuver and move with only modest encumbrance. Many times such grips are used so that two ships may dock together and transfer passengers in space. Capital ships may be equipped with starfighter-scale cargo grips for makeshift starfighter launches, and they do so without any loss of starship maneuverability. Capital scale cargo clamps allow bulk and medium freighters to transport large cargo containers or sections of capital ship hull material with only modest loss of performance.
Model: Surrilian Engineering Landing Claw
Type: Starship docking/landing device
Cost: 800
Weight: 2 metric tons
Game Notes: Any ship using a cargo grip takes a -1D to maneuverability. If the ship takes damage of Heavily Damaged or worse, the Cargo Grip will lose its hold and all ships or materials will be shaken loose.

Model: SsanduSan Heavy Docking Grip
Type: Starship docking device
Scale: Capital
Cost: 2,000
Weight: 25 metric tons
Game Notes: Any capital ship using the cargo clamp to transport a capital-scale section of debris takes a -1D to maneuverability. If the ship takes damage of Heavily Damaged or worse, docking clamps lose their hold and all ships are shaken loose.

cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one I really would like input on, given that anyone with enough cleverness will realize what I'm trying to do with this one while still remaining on the proper side of IP laws. It's going to be published in a mag that won't allow me to use the Star Wars IP, so, you can do the math on what this is supposed to represent.

Quote:

Modified BG-0811
A highly popular model, mostly because of the ease to modifications, the Surriliian BG-0811 is one of the more popular light freighters in the galaxy. However, given their easy modifications, there are hardly any examples of stock models remaining. Because of their wide reputation and how easily independent starship captains take to them, it is hardly surprising that some salvagers have taken to suiting a few models to their specifications.

Craft: Modified Suriliian Engineering BG-0811 Transport
Length: 27 meters
Skill: Space transports: BG-0811
Crew: 1 (2 can coordinate), gunners: 1
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 80 metric tons
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: 32,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x14
Nav Computer: Yes
Space: 4
Atmosphere: 480; 800 kmh
Hull: 4D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 25/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Weapons:
Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range:
100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D
Starship Equipment:
Appendage Collection System
Landing Claw
Double-Wide Airlock: A double-wide airlock is a custom modification allowing the crew to transport larger goods without compromising the atmosphere inside the cargo area by opening the cargo lifts.
Plasma Cutting Torch
Fire Control: 0D
Damage: 8D

jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I have a suspicion about what it is you're doing, but I'm not clever enough to figure it out... Sad
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a reverse alphabet on the Suriliian craft.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so easy when I know what to look for.... Rolling Eyes
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the first, roughest draft is done, and it's sitting a little under 15,000 words. It's not quite going to be its own netbook, but it's going to be a REALLY meaty article when it's complete. I'm probably going to be looking into pulling in some artists if anyone has any good connections.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who is finishing up his art degree who might be willing to help out, have the artwork double for his schoolwork/portfolio and get you some stuff. I'll pose the question to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: