The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Building Our Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Building Our Ship Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Building Our Ship Reply with quote

I've mentioned in another thread I'll be having my PCs, for their first adventure, assembling themselves a ship. As it now stands they found their ship, a derelict YT-1760, half submerged in mud hidden away in Uncle's scrap yard, and have named it Sorakai, from a local dialect referring to the red skies seen at dusk on their planet, the time when they found the ship (to them it represents horizons, hope, and freedom).

I hope to break this first adventure up into different parts, typically dealing with a different aspect of the ship, how well they do at each of these parts will affect the base stats of their ship.

Now I'm looking for ideas, challenges, and tasks for the PCs to deal with; in other words, I want this little adventure to be less about literally putting the ship back together and more about seeking out what they need to do it. Each part, I hope, will offer a number of different elements.

I'm thinking of dividing the parts into Structure (hull, passengers,cargo), Drive Systems(hyperdrive, sublight, repulsor, maneuvering), Power Systems (reactor, cooling), Electronics (weapons, shields, sensors), and certification/documentation.

The last part, certification/documentation, I'm already planning to be an infiltration task. The sisters (the PCs) have an interest in keeping their identities obfuscated, even if they don't exactly know why - their parents have been doing it for as long as they can remember and their Uncle has made sure of the same since their parents went missing (and why I will only refer to the three characters as Mama, Papa, and Uncle). With that in mind they will first have the certifications and documents forged and then have to find a way to access the BoSS systems to install said forgeries. The focus will be on the latter part, as their life style has generally left them with the contacts to handle the first part.

I want a variety of other tasks, some could be a simple roll, while others might include social interaction, exploration, combat, and what ever else people can think of.

Here are a few of the ideas I've thought of so far:

Structure

- Convincing Uncle to let them use his work bay instead of the sheet metal lean-to they call a shed (Social - Allows them to better repair the hull)
    - Dislodge that functioning FLJ-22 Particle shield from a YV-545... at the back of the scrap yard... pinned under the gallofree hulk (physical - upgrades particle shields - improves hull)
    - Renovate the Bunk rooms (Technical: Starship Repair - Allows to swap passenger space/cargo space)

Drive Systems

- Steal new sub-light engines from the Imperial Authority Impound yard - or barter for them if you have scruples (Stealth/social)
    - Refit the hyperdrive (Technical: Starship Repair - Affects hyperdrive performance)
    - Deal with Slick Slovo for new lateral thrusters (Social - Improves maneuverability)
    - Atmospheric test flights - try out the Akilika Canyons to really put her through her pases (Piloting - allows to improve repulsorlift performance - affects atmospheric speed)

Power Systems

- Scrounge for a power distributor and phasing unit (Exploration - allows more efficient power distribution)
    - Pulling that bi-linear Catalyzer out of the scrat nest (Combat - improves use of ship consumables)
    - Research plasma harmonics (Knowledge: Scholar: Physics - properly set reactor harmonics - more power output for added systems/virtual tonnage for upgrading only)

Electronic Systems

- Secure some ship weapons from the Flit Hawk gang (Social/Combat)
    - Reprogram the shield projector pulled from Sorosub freighter (Technical: Computer Programing/Repair - adds 1D Shield)
    - Smuggle that Cygnus Spaceworks ARX-112 shield generator passed Dalta Port customs (Social/evasion/combat -improved Shields)
    - Calibrate the new sensors (Mechanical: Sensors - Improves sensor accuracy)

I'm looking for new ideas, and suggestions/criticisms of the tasks I've outlined above. Has anyone done anything like this? What did you do?

What ever you think will help, thank you Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start, Do you have some specific tasks out of those which will be needed to get the ship itself space worthy or able to break atmosphere?

How much of a bonus are you thinking for the use of uncle's work bay? +5? +1D?

I like the fact that the various tasks should be able to use strengths of each of the party members instead of everything being about combat.

Maybe the group has to do a delivery for Uncle before he'll even let them take the 1760 shell. You could have the picked over by tech scavengers in the night and the group has to go after them and either convince them to return the stolen parts or maybe take them by force?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the stats of each character.. that might help out figure out good additional "jobs"..
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Looks like a good start, Do you have some specific tasks out of those which will be needed to get the ship itself space worthy or able to break atmosphere?

How much of a bonus are you thinking for the use of uncle's work bay? +5? +1D?

For getting the ship space worthy, the bulk of the labour will be done behind the scenes by the PCs with help from Uncle and his employees over a period of five years or so. So even if all these tasks were passed over or failed, the Sorakai would still fly and make it to space.

I have a set of stock stats for the 1760 (can be found in the ships and equipment section), the PCs typically have to complete the first task listed in each section to achieve stock performance, if they fail, the related system would have its performance reduced. If the players complete the additional tasks, a particular system may be increased beyond stock performance. Some tasks can have variable levels of success, such as refitting the hyperdrive.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Maybe the group has to do a delivery for Uncle before he'll even let them take the 1760 shell. You could have the picked over by tech scavengers in the night and the group has to go after them and either convince them to return the stolen parts or maybe take them by force?

As for the 'shell', Uncle, not particularly worried about the cost of one small hulk, gave it to the sisters to help them work over their feelings of losing their parents and let them feel like they're accomplishing something. He's also found it profitable as the girls were willing to swap work and such for help and parts, both of which cost him relatively nothing.

As for the second part, I like that very much and it may help as a hook for one of the tasks above, such as steal sub-light engines. It also adds an additional task all its own, track down the thieves. Sure, they're already using search, but not like that... and they could steal a better set of engines than they already have.

garhkal wrote:
What are the stats of each character.. that might help out figure out good additional "jobs"..

Admittedly there is very little diversity between the skills available... in certain respects:

Ina (pronounced eye-nah) is the dominant personality, more willing to take the initiative and will be the future captain.
    Dex 3D (Blaster:pistol 4D, Dodge 4D, Vehicle blasters 4D)
    Know 2D
    Mech 4D+1 (space transport 6D+1, space transport: YT-1769 8D+1)
    Per 3D (Bargain 4D)
    Str 2D+1
    Tech 3D+1 (Space transport Repair 4D+1)

I seemed to have forgot to tell the player that humans are capt at 4D as starting characters... I think I'll over look it in light of the next character

Ellee is a change of pace for a PC (I usual didn't allow droids), she is actually an HRD (and a large part of why the family has tried to remain hidden). She is an extreme generalist, having focused throughout her development on just learning how function to her full potential rather than learn specialties. Besides heuristics need to learn, Ellee has never been programmed.
    Dex 4D
    Know 4D (Willpower 5D)
    Mech 4D
    Per 4D
    Str 4D
    Tech 4D

We haven't finalized Ellee's stats yet, I might insist on changing them to more closely match Guri's stats, but everyone so far seems fine with things as is. Ellee is something of a breakthrough in early HRD technology, and it will be others wanting to replicate it, such as those who will build Guri, is why the family went into hiding, and why their parents have gone missing. I don't think the players have caught on to that possibility yet... but I could be wrong, its not exactly subtle.

As you can see, knowing the characters stats doesn't add much variety (or too much variety depending on how you look at it).
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find the right cockpit accessory (fuzzy dice, bobblehead)

Sorry couldn't help myself Very Happy

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:
Trying to find the right cockpit accessory (fuzzy dice, bobblehead)

Sorry couldn't help myself Very Happy

lol, maybe getting out of Slick Slovo's without the 'right' cockpit accessory instead...

his parts suppliers like him to hand out complimentary, decorative subspace tracers Surprised
kinfo_howlingwolf
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see a nav computer somewhere in there. You could maybe have the PCs decide to either go after several astromechs and rig their heads together, or 1 big heist and rip one out of someones active ship.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinfo_howlingwolf wrote:
Didn't see a nav computer somewhere in there. You could maybe have the PCs decide to either go after several astromechs and rig their heads together, or 1 big heist and rip one out of someones active ship.

I was just thinking about that, I was just going to wave it off, but a navicomputer is no small thing...

I might make it the hook for the next adventure...
-The sisters don't have the credits to buy one and have to take on a in-system shipping job
-Uncle has one ordered in, they can pick it up at depot station at the outer edge of the system - it may or may not be their when they arrive
-etc

I'm seeing their first space based adventure, an encounter with pirates or responding to a distress call. I'm even considering ongoing troubles with navigation/hyperdrive keeping them first in system then in sector... especially if they have a rocking hyperdrive... a good bet seeing as the 1760 starts with an x1 Twisted Evil
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd suggest is having multiple options for parts instead of one way to do each part. Allow for some research to find out the options, then they can weigh the difficulty or cost for a part against the quality of the part.

Maybe they should have acquire some cash for a budget, and then they have to decide which parts are worth buying and which should be acquired other ways.

For example:
1) A local dealer has a used Sorosuub Boav Drive for sale, and even says it's been modified by the previous owner. (Modification gives +1 space raising it to 5, but perhaps has some quirks.) The characters could buy it (using up some precious credits from their budget), steal it, make some other kind of deal (working it off with deliveries?), or look for something else.

2) Rumor was a smuggler's ship known for it's speed was shot down by imperials a few weeks back over a swamp. Perhaps the engines (and other parts) are salvagable? Do they need repairs even if you can get the parts back? Are others interested as well and looking for it? Is the owner of the cargo looking for the ship as well?

3) The is a low end (worse than the Boav) drive that is in bad shape available in the junkyard. If the characters decide to live with it and repair it, they can probably get it running (with space speed 3 and a quirk or two.)

The decision making of how important the engine is vs other parts becomes a big key, instead of having one option out there for each part. (Seems like a video game design how it's set up right now.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ina (pronounced eye-nah) is the dominant personality, more willing to take the initiative and will be the future captain.

Dex 3D (Blaster:pistol 4D, Dodge 4D, Vehicle blasters 4D)
Know 2D
Mech 4D+1 (space transport 6D+1, space transport: YT-1769 8D+1)
Per 3D (Bargain 4D)
Str 2D+1
Tech 3D+1 (Space transport Repair 4D+1)

I seemed to have forgot to tell the player that humans are capt at 4D as starting characters... I think I'll over look it in light of the next character

Seems you forgot more than that.. You get 1d for specialty, 3 pips (or 3 specialties)... so at most his Space transports: YT will be 7d+1.. Plus you need to USE the item in question to have a specialty.. so how would he already have that ship as a specialty?

Quote:
Ellee is a change of pace for a PC (I usual didn't allow droids), she is actually an HRD (and a large part of why the family has tried to remain hidden). She is an extreme generalist, having focused throughout her development on just learning how function to her full potential rather than learn specialties. Besides heuristics need to learn, Ellee has never been programmed.

Dex 4D
Know 4D (Willpower 5D)
Mech 4D
Per 4D
Str 4D
Tech 4D

We haven't finalized Ellee's stats yet, I might insist on changing them to more closely match Guri's stats, but everyone so far seems fine with things as is. Ellee is something of a breakthrough in early HRD technology, and it will be others wanting to replicate it, such as those who will build Guri, is why the family went into hiding, and why their parents have gone missing. I don't think the players have caught on to that possibility yet... but I could be wrong, its not exactly subtle.

How was she made?? What rules set? HRDs do not iirc have any?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealing with the Alien Version of Bob Vila that wants to turn the fixing of it into a reality holo?

"Genius" Engineer who is more interested in getting laid than fixing anything.

The pilot with the shifty mustache.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Plus you need to USE the item in question to have a specialty.. so how would he already have that ship as a specialty?
Though not an unreasonable house rule, I don't believe the rules actually say you have to use the item in question to have a specialization. As for how you might specialize in a ship you don't actually have...

You collect, read, watch, or listen to everything you can get your hands on about the YT-1769: technical manuals, flight instruction manuals, holonews reports, holofilms, holonovels, stories told by family members who have flown or flown on a YT-1769. As a child you hang around spaceports looking for YT-1769s to land then beg the crew to let you on board or into the cockpit, and with the light of amazement and enthusiasm shining in your eyes you ask them to tell you all about the amazing YT-1769 the bestest light freighter evarrr!

Well that's how my character might have done that. If he was really interested in the YT-1769.

Regarding the HRD, I'll post some info from my campaign on the HRD we had. I'll put it in the character section under - Marya Lambent.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaloth Varsk wrote:
One thing I'd suggest is having multiple options for parts instead of one way to do each part. Allow for some research to find out the options, then they can weigh the difficulty or cost for a part against the quality of the part.

I am left with the need to balance simplicity with information overload. If I give too much to do, I risk inflating the adventure. To get stock performance they need only complete a primary task for each system, thats typically the first in each list, the rest after that are extras. That said, I do favor an improve style and encourage the players to take it where they can and use their imagination, be creative; if they think of something good I will reward them for it.

I also really like your suggestions and will see about working them in, or keeping them as a reserve incase the PCs do do their own thing. I may want to keep things simple, but it never hurts to be prepared, especially if the game ignores the rails so to speak.

garhkal wrote:
Seems you forgot more than that.. You get 1d for specialty, 3 pips (or 3 specialties)... so at most his Space transports: YT will be 7d+1.. Plus you need to USE the item in question to have a specialty.. so how would he already have that ship as a specialty?

In this case I've always placed the same cap on specialties as are on skills, 2D. I've wondered about it in the past, but since it hasn't been a problem I've never looked to correct it. Is their a page number in 2R&E that contains a single die limitation?

As for being specialized in a ship that doesn't work yet, the character has been working on it for up to five years, if not neccessarily flying it, and I felt this would be sufficient to justify some specialization. Add to the fact of running simmulations on computer and even using the ships own controls and its fair she would have more than a passing familiarity with the ship. Also during those five years I wouldn't be surprised if their have been some limited test flying, remember even if they fail every part of this adventure, the ship will still fly, it will just not fly as well. Think of it as a cooperative build your own ship exercise where all the actions and choices are in game, its unlikely they'll have a stock 1760 in the end.

garhkal wrote:
How was she made?? What rules set? HRDs do not iirc have any?

Easy, Used the droid template building rules in the 2R&E (distribute 25D as you see fit - GMs permission) and added for equipment from Guri's stats (they're in Gry's Droid stats):
    • Humanoid body
    • Highly modified AA-1 Verbo-brain
    • Human Biofibres
    • Clone vat-grown skin

Special Ability
    Human Replica: Human replica droids are designed to pass for humans in every aspect, including behavior and biology. A Very Difficult sensors roll is needed to notice “something odd” about a human replica droid masquerading as a human.

As these had little to no mechanical impact I didn't feel particularly hesitant. I also gave her a speed of 12, since I felt Guri's 15 was excessive for a new character. A 12 is high, but it wouldn't be the first uneven species.
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you missed the intention and spirit of why the droid building rules usually work.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaloth Varsk wrote:
I think you missed the intention and spirit of why the droid building rules usually work.

Without any elaboration I'm assuming you're referring to how droids typically have very low ability scores, while heavily focusing on specific skills.

I can certainly agree, the HRD did not take that approach, and this could have consequences down the road.

In this particular case I was balancing how HRDs have been depicted in the past (relatively strong ability scores, particularly physical ones), along with the characters personal development (learning through experience, verses programming - and more cerebral interests than Guri), and the player's interest and desires.

I don't have a problem with a player playing an HRD, and the other player is fine with this expression of an HRD.

The big question is how will this affect game play? if you feel it will be disruptive or detract from the experience, I would appreciate your advice and experience. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: