The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Building Our Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Building Our Ship Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a bounty on the Swoop gang or a reward for finding them?

If so that could help with both the deadliness problem and/or the funding problem.
  • If there is a reward for information leading to the arrest... then the PCs could find the Swoop gang and turn the information in.
    • Which eventually nets the PCs cash for the reward.
    • Also whoever posted the reward (local authorities, Imps, or Bounty Huners) may then head off after the Swoop gang so the PCs don't have to fight them alone.
  • If there is a bounty, then maybe a group of bounty hunter NPCs will go after the Swoop gang. The PCs could team up with them or use them as a distraction while they go after the parts.
  • The PCs might be able to get local authorities to go after the gang with results as above.

Unrelated to the above - maybe the Swoop gang has a code that would allow the PCs to challenge someone to a swoop race or joust or duel or something to get what they want instead of having the fight the whole gang. I used something like this long ago where a character had wanted to rescue his girlfriend who had been kidnapped by a swoop gang. He had to face the gang leader in some 1-1 confrontation.

If you decide to go to town first, you might want to have some opportunities for the PCs to get money. Maybe someone needs something done that requires their skills.

I'd also consider having them encounter a low pressure situation in town where they could practice racing and get a chance to increase their ability. Maybe they encounter some townies who want to race (but who are basically friendly compared to a swoop gang).
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Unrelated to the above - maybe the Swoop gang has a code that would allow the PCs to challenge someone to a swoop race or joust or duel or something to get what they want instead of having the fight the whole gang. I used something like this long ago where a character had wanted to rescue his girlfriend who had been kidnapped by a swoop gang. He had to face the gang leader in some 1-1 confrontation.

For sure, that was actually my original inspiration for adding the swoop races to that act. I find they can be fun, but it struck me as a great way to deal with the gang without initiating violence.

The idea of giving a cash reward or other boon for winning a race came latter. The gang is willing and able to sell ship parts and weapons, so they would also be willing to trade too.

But knowing PCs, someone stands a better than average chance of getting shot, lol Wink

Bren wrote:
Is there a bounty on the Swoop gang or a reward for finding them?
Now that is something I haven't considered and certainly an idea for dealing with the swoop gang - I'll definitely keep it in mind, and it maybe an easy way of dealing with the gang... but it might present a whole slew of new problems, lol, Like how to get their engines back now that hey have be confiscated as evidence? Or might they attract too much attention from the law... the characters, though not exactly law breakers (yet), I think they would want to avoid the attention.

Bren wrote:
If you decide to go to town first, you might want to have some opportunities for the PCs to get money. Maybe someone needs something done that requires their skills.

I'd also consider having them encounter a low pressure situation in town where they could practice racing and get a chance to increase their ability. Maybe they encounter some townies who want to race (but who are basically friendly compared to a swoop gang).

Some town races could definitely work, and would warm up the players for the big races later.

Town could be a good place to see just how extra-legal the PCs are willing to go, maybe have someone offer a B and E job, or looking for a get-away driver and heard they were in need of cash and did well at the town track...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: